Mint 13 vs 15

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xor10
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 13 vs 15

Post by xor10 »

What'll be the major differences between Mint 13 and 15 Xfce editions after I've updated them fully using the update manager?

I like that Mint 15 Cinnamon doesn't ask me for password when I start it, unlike many other Linux distributions. Will both Mint 13 and 15 Xfce editions be like this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint 13 vs 15

Post by caf4926 »

xor10 wrote:What'll be the major differences between Mint 13 and 15 Xfce editions after I've updated them fully using the update manager?

I like that Mint 15 Cinnamon doesn't ask me for password when I start it, unlike many other Linux distributions. Will both Mint 13 and 15 Xfce editions be like this?
Mint 13 is a Long Term Support
Requiring of passwords at login are a personal choice and can be selected as seen on page 9 of this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105 ... int_16.pdf
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
xor10
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xor10 »

Thanks for replying.
caf4926 wrote: Mint 13 is a Long Term Support
That's why I'm showing interest in it. But what's supported till April 2017? If every part of Mint 13 will recieve updates (from kernel to applications) then there's no point in installing Mint 15 or 16. But that's not the case. So,
xor10 wrote:What'll be the major differences between Mint 13 and 15 Xfce editions after I've updated them fully using the update manager?
caf4926 wrote: Requiring of passwords at login are a personal choice and can be selected as seen on page 9 of this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105 ... int_16.pdf
Please tell is this choice available in Mint 13 and 15 Xfce editions?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

But what's supported till April 2017?
Fully supported - all patches/updates
Please tell is this choice available in Mint 13 and 15 Xfce editions?
I don't use XFCE, but I'm sure it is.

XFCE version in 13 will be different to 15. Not sure how much that matters. And I think the menu changed too.
It might be OK, I'm not sure, that you enable backports in 13 to get updated XFCE. But I suggest you start a new thread on it.
I do know Clem gave the OK for Mate users in 13 to do this.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
xor10
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xor10 »

Thanks a lot :)
caf4926 wrote:Mint 13 is a Long Term Support
caf4926 wrote:XFCE version in 13 will be different to 15. Not sure how much that matters. And I think the menu changed too.
It might be OK, I'm not sure, that you enable backports in 13 to get updated XFCE. But I suggest you start a new thread on it.
I do know Clem gave the OK for Mate users in 13 to do this.
Finally I took the decision (to download 13 or 15) just on these 2 factors:
1) One is LTS and the other is latest.
2) I'll have to enable backports in 13 to get latest softwares. I had to suddenly download and install Mint on my cousin's computer and didn't have time to enable backports, especially when I've never enabled them before.
caf4926 wrote:Requiring of passwords at login are a personal choice and can be selected as seen on page 9 of this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105 ... int_16.pdf
I had forgotten that I was given this choice during installation. After you told this, I searched for "mint 13 installation", found this: http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation/user-guide/english_13.0.pdf , and its installation also gives the choice of logging in automatically or through password. I made this search after I got back home from my cousin's home, for the sake of future readers of this thread.
caf4926 wrote:I don't use XFCE, but I'm sure it is.
The installation of Mint 15 XFCE was exactly the same as when I had installed Mint 15 Cinnamon.
Joseph.

Post by Joseph. »

Hello All
I'm no expert I too did try install the LM 13 but it dosen't work
I realize it all due to the new hardware mostly Newer Processor and and mainboard on board devoces like the lan,sound,usb 3 and other deivices also the chipset based on north and south bridge
that the LM 13 did not come bundle with the latest driver
I applaud to the software disigner doing a great job improving the software
So remember the older version dosen't work on the newer processor namly the haswell but what is the latest intel processor does it support
I have no Idea weither if the LM13 will work on the latest AMD processor even if it but what about the newest mainboard
Thank you for reading this and hope it will help the future newbies like myself to avoid the mistake and :oops: :roll:
Cheers All

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”