LMDE Mate or (Ubuntu-based) Linux Mint Mate ?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ramblin

LMDE Mate or (Ubuntu-based) Linux Mint Mate ?

Post by Ramblin »

I have put Linux Mint Maya (13) Mate on three computers, all pretty old and with 1GB RAM.

Very happy so far.

I see efforts in the LMDE space and one thing I really like is the promise of doing upgrades instead of re-install of the software.

However, the 2013 posting says that LMDE is still "pretty rough around the edges".

My question is this:

Is Linux Mint hoping to eventually move all development efforts to LMDE?

If so, I will put up with some of the extra effort required to install (and upgrade) LMDE.

If Linux Mint intends to maintain two versions:
- one Ubuntu-based
- one LMDE-based
I will likely stay with the Ubuntu-based Mint Mate version.

Can someone tell me where Linux Mint is heading:
- All LMDE ?
- Parallel versions of Ubuntu-base Linu Mint (Mate) developed and maintained (for at least 5 years) ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: LMDE Mate or (Ubuntu-based) Linux Mint Mate ?

Post by cwsnyder »

From what I have read in the blogs (I am not Clem, so I don't know first hand), it will probably depend on how far out from mainstream Linux Ubuntu goes with Upstart, Mir and other systems, and how well they integrate with Clem's vision of what Linux Mint should be. LMDE started in 2010 as a result of Ubuntu switching to Unity and started talking about a proposed replacement for X that might not be compatible with other systems. I am hearing rumors what Debian may be going the way of Wayland and Systemd. Will Clem want to continue supporting 3 different display servers and startup systems? I don't know. He is already supporting Mate (gtk-2 based) and Cinnamon (gtk-3 based), but these are based on a fairly stable X-client base. Mint has a relatively small developer base, so I can't predict with any certainty what straw will break the camel's back.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

nope. current mint team are considering only use LTS version as their base but they won't make LMDE as their main project. for mint team the mir vs wayland isn't a big issue (at this moment) since mir also have x support and as long as gnome is working on ubuntu cinnamon will happily working too.
Will Clem want to continue supporting 3 different display servers and startup systems? I don't know. He is already supporting Mate (gtk-2 based) and Cinnamon (gtk-3 based), but these are based on a fairly stable X-client base. Mint has a relatively small developer base, so I can't predict with any certainty what straw will break the camel's back.
both mir and wayland have x backward compatibility and mint team doesn't have to consider these stuffs. as long as gnome is working fine with ubuntu it will mostly fine for cinnamon too. the current issue is 9month support for non LTS release.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

kurotsugi wrote:
nope. current mint team are considering only use LTS version as their base but they won't make LMDE as their main project. for mint team the mir vs wayland isn't a big issue (at this moment) since mir also have x support and as long as gnome is working on ubuntu cinnamon will happily working too.
Will Clem want to continue supporting 3 different display servers and startup systems? I don't know. He is already supporting Mate (gtk-2 based) and Cinnamon (gtk-3 based), but these are based on a fairly stable X-client base. Mint has a relatively small developer base, so I can't predict with any certainty what straw will break the camel's back.
both mir and wayland have x backward compatibility and mint team doesn't have to consider these stuffs. as long as gnome is working fine with ubuntu it will mostly fine for cinnamon too. the current issue is 9month support for non LTS release.
IMHO, to reduce the amount of work for the Mint team, probably would be fine to stay with the two branches: Ubuntu-Mint and LMDE. The first, with LTS releases only, the second, keeping its rolling formula (with more frequent updates). Mate, Cinnamom and Xfce can become the main desktop environments, others can be developed by the community. Why? Because Mate and Cinnamom are the Mint original and "flag" developments, and Xfce is a very efficient DE, largely popular among the linux communities.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”