Mint Home Server

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ElQuia

Re: Mint Home Server

Post by ElQuia »

amarok, ok wil try. I guess there's a version for Felicia :?: or a Ubuntu version at least ? Will look arround. I'm all in :twisted: for trying new things :!:
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Hey all! I know I've been a bit of a ghost lately on the forums. I've been busy with work and school, as well as the upcoming holiday. I haven't forgotten about the server project, but have had to put documentation on hold because of additional consulting and web design I've had to perform outside of my regular job. I'm shooting for January to get caught up with everything. I've been reading the last few posts and some of the focus sounds interesting.

@ Oceanwatcher - I was checking out your photo site again, and was just wondering why you've separated your blog site from it? Did you have difficulty integrating certain functions into Joomla? Just curious as I have not considered what approach to take on my site. Enjoy your holiday!
CJ Master

Post by CJ Master »

Hello!

Project looks very cool- tho I'm a bit confused... you only want it to host files from around the network, and not host a website? I fail to see the point of why. Please explain! :)

If your still looking for a de - LXDE would probably be your best candidate... super fast, sleek, and with some tweaks it can look almost exactly like gnome.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I've found that the Linux Mint server I set up at work was great until the amount of files on the document management exceeded 10,000. Then things started to get bogged down. I received a lot of positive feedback about the ease of administering it (since the GUI is so friendly), so I'm going to spend some more time tinkering with it. I'm planning:

- Recompilation with bigmem kernel (Exceed 4GB limit)
- Less intensive Desktop Environment such as XFCE or Fluxbox
- Addition of web server to enable nternet sharing

All of these are fairly easy to accomplish, but time has been limited as I am looking at changing jobs right now. I'm hoping to post more information soon.

Cheers,

Chris
HHH

Re: Mint Home Server - SME server

Post by HHH »

Mint is excellent on the desktop. Yes, you can make it into a server but why re-invent a really excellent set of Mag wheels which are available 'off the shelf' over at Contribs.SME server http://wiki.contribs.org/Main_Page.

This server is SOOO simple.
1. Put the CD in & reboot
2. Answer the questions
3. Remove the keyboard & monitor (if you want to)
4. Use your browser to login & set your users up.
5. Use one of the groupware versions if you want/need that functionality.
6. Forget about it. It just works & keeps working.

If you want a more detailed 'install' have a look over on How To Forge http://www.howtoforge.com/fileserver_with_sme_server7.1

:P :D :idea:
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I think the main idea initially was to make mint into a 'home' server strictly for the sake of fun and familiarity. If I were to use a server in a business environment I would go for either Server 2003 or CentOS based on having experience with them. That SME server looks cool, and I'll definitely have to check it out whenever I get some free time to mess around.

Now that I've moved on to a different job and finished school I don't really have time to toy with Linux on servers, and since I run a game server out of my house already on an NT machine, I use it alternately as a file server, and remote in with dyndns when I need to. Still cool to see that this thread is getting some interest.
p10

Post by p10 »

@ Oceanwatcher :

Would it be possible for you to explain how you went about slimming down Mint? I currently have a Mint 5 box as a file/print- server, running at 110MB RAM when Gnome is loaded. Would love a few tips and hints on how to get it running even lighter.

As I need to be able to use firefox, k3b, f-spot and transmission I have to have a GUI running. Otherwise I would just set up a headless server for file and printer sharing.
Al-linuxnewb

Post by Al-linuxnewb »

I am trying to make a centralized data server for my minuscule home network...

I'll probably need some hands on help once I get going, but here's a link to a how-to that I found on a different section of the forums...

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30013
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

I ran into this old thread when searching for remote desktop on Linux Mint.

Now 4 years later from when it was started, it still seems to be as great an idea as ever. Linux Mint (and probably many/most other) distributions are either desktop oriented or server oriented, with the latter often running no GUI.

Linux Mint is a great distribution and I absolutely love the GUI. It's been also one of only ones that has kept with the old Gnome style. Ubuntu, Fedora and many others have opted for Unity or Gnome 3 with a GUI that seems to be more suitable for small screens and touch pads. I have 26" of screen real estate and don't want to hide icons and shortcuts.

Yet I do have the need for server applications and easy to use administration utils that have a GUI.

Unfortunately LM13 has even dropped some basic functionality such as the remote desktop configuration applet (it needs to be setup manually, though it's pretty easy to do). (I think it was available in LM 9.) Other things that are missing are LVM option in the installer (Ubuntu has it), as well as better Xen hypervisor integration and tools to setup domUs.

I've got a pretty strong PC and would love to use it as a remote desktop server with thin clients. The ideal solution would be an application server combined with VDI. Well, I know this pretty much to ask for, but why not?

Thanks for opening this thread and putting your ideas forward.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki »

My opinion is that there is no reason to have Mint server.
Because Mint is design to be desktop distribution.
There are many other distribution what are better for server use.
So I don't think it's wise to use resources to try to do everyting for everyone.
Better just be excelent in one thing (desktops), than try to be moderate in many things.
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Windows 7
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Please don't resuscitate ancient threads.
If you think the subject is still relevant,start a new thread about it

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”