LMDE or LTS Stability

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
programming-master

LMDE or LTS Stability

Post by programming-master »

I am going to get a used laptop to use in the next 2 years. I love Linux Mint and have been using it for a while. I have tried LMDE, but not extensively. I like the idea of a semi-rolling release, and I capable of preforming most operations in terminal, etc. I am mostly curious about the stability of LMDE vs. the main edition. Also, with the LTS versions, is software kept up to date? I have been following each 6 month release on another computer, but I am getting sick of switching. For a laptop where I am just trying to get work done and not mess with the operating system, would an Ubuntu base be best?

And just wondering, are there any security issues with LMDE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Re: LMDE or LTS Stability

Post by xfrank »

As for my experience, I have both LMDE and Mint 13 LTS running since one year: the first in my desktop, the second in a netbook.
Mint 13 LTS is more stable in the sense that "just work", you can forget about messing with the system, use regularly the terminal, fix breakages, etc. There are some updates (like firefox), but generally speaking, the software (and the linux kernel) has old versions.
LMDE is also stable, but you have to be careful when update packs arrive, because some breakages may occur (they can be fixed, nothing terrible in my experience, my system has survived very well to UP7 and UP8). Thanks to LMDE's semi-rolling structure, the linux kernel and the software are up to date.
In short: Mint LTS is more stable but very boring ("just works"), LMDE is also quite stable but more interesting because you have to learn, use frequently the terminal, and occasionally fix some issues. Moreover, is almost up-to-date but not bleeding edge.
Conclusion: I'm more happy with LMDE, but Mint LTS is also very good.

*about security issues, I've not found any in both flavours of Linux Mint.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
programming-master

Re: LMDE or LTS Stability

Post by programming-master »

Is it possible to manually update packages in LTS, or is it not advised? I would like to keep up with newer software to keep some congruity with other people running a similar OS. Also, I have found topics on getting rid of the startup and shutdown beep, but is there away to get rid of startup text and shutdown text. I understand this is the base Debian system, and it doesn't bother me much, however, it would be nice to get rid of it. I have also had some shutdown problems in the past.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”