Which interfaces are most popular for Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Which interfaces are most popular for Mint?

Post by benali72 »

My friends and I use 32-bit Mint 13 with Xfce and Mate on our old 5 to 7 year old boxes. These two DE's a great fit for these early dual core machines... lots of functionality, yet very easy to use, and they run fast.

I'd be curious to know which Mint DEs are most popular. Do we have any stats on this? Has the relative popularity of the interfaces shifted over Mint releases?

Thank you for any feedback.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Which interfaces are most popular for Mint?

Post by xenopeek »

This one is still somewhat relevant: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=100787. Cinnamon is by far the most popular, with MATE as second. KDE might have gained a bit on Xfce as we've seen more new users joining Linux Mint and picking KDE.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Post by benali72 »

Hey, thanks so much for that link. Interesting. It's as I would have guessed, except that I would have thought that KDE would be in 3rd place rather than Xfce. However, as you mentioned, KDE appeared to be gaining in that regard.

As an Xfce user I'm glad to see that it has a pretty large pool of users. Always good to be swimming in a large school if you might need help.

Thanks again.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

And the hits on http://distrowatch.com/ are almost 2 to 1 for Mint over Ubuntu, now -
Mint - 3804 Hits per day
Ubuntu - 2000 Hits per day
Debian - 1911 Hits per day
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Post by benali72 »

I'm an "Ubuntu refugee" myself. They lost me when they went to the inappropriate Unity interface. Hey Ubuntu dudes, I'm not on a handheld, I'm using a desktop!

I think the Ubuntu team made a mistake when they followed Microsoft and decided that one interface would handle all form factors. They should have followed Apple or Google, both of which distinguish between their handheld and laptop/desktop intefaces (with iOS & Mac OS, and Android & Chrome, respectively). There are many reasons for Mint's popularity, but surely one is that the Mint team recognized that laptop/desktop users don't want a handheld interface. So they provided excellent improved "traditional" interfaces like Cinnamon and Mate as alternatives.

Cheers.
Pymander

Post by Pymander »

austin.texas wrote:And the hits on http://distrowatch.com/ are almost 2 to 1 for Mint over Ubuntu, now -
Mint - 3804 Hits per day
Ubuntu - 2000 Hits per day
Debian - 1911 Hits per day
Without me telling you, I want you to think carefully and tell me why that statement is complete nonsense. G and take a look at DistroWatch and explain why that figure is essentially incorrect and Ubuntu is still more popular than Mint based on the figures on DistroWatch.

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer Mint to Ubuntu. You are wrong though. Sorry.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Pymander wrote:Without me telling you, I want you to think carefully and tell me why that statement is complete nonsense.
If you want to make some sort of point about distrowatch - go ahead and make it - but so far you haven't. So what is it?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Pymander. Hello, austin.texas.

If I am not mistaken, on Distrowatch they count all Mint editions as one, it is all Mint.
For Ubuntu, however, they count each official desktop environment separately, which suggests that their term Ubuntu actually only means Ubuntu with Unity desktop, because they also list separate counters for Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu; Ubuntu Gnome, Ubuntu Studio, Ubuntu Kylin. So in order to get their total count of Ubuntu systems you have to sum up all these separate counters: 4668 (provided I have not missed a Ubuntu flavour)

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”