Mint 13 and Mint 17

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sdcougar
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 13 and Mint 17

Post by sdcougar »

I just recently installed Mint 13 [coming from xp] and have not done a lot yet with it so I don't have a bunch of documents or photos yet to save. They are all still on my backup hard drive. First, I am a newbie, and I am wondering if I should upgrade now to 17 or wait awhile. Would I have less problems with 13....does it take awhile to get the 'bugs' out of a new release?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lenovo G50 AMD A8 Mint 19.2 64 bit Cinnamon
wayne128

Re: Mint 13 and Mint 17

Post by wayne128 »

yes, it takes some time for bugs to surface.
and takes some time for dev to get them resolved..

Mint13 is based on ubuntu 12.04
ubuntu 12.04 has a third release, 12.04.3.. with many bugs resolved

Mint17 is based on ubuntu 14.04
and if you like latest and most shinny stuff, then go for 17, as it is, however you would find immediately after installation, hundred of packages awaiting for your update :lol:

but if you want more stability, more matured, then go for 13 and update to ubuntu 12.04.3 equivalent.

or simply wait a little longer, few months later, and install 17+update.

yet a even better move: wait for official 17.1, just install when it is released, by that time, many bugs would have been 'resolved'.

One thing to take note, bugs always present, it is just a question of whether your hardware and your usage is going to be any negative impacts.
sdcougar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdcougar »

Thank you, very helpful.
Lenovo G50 AMD A8 Mint 19.2 64 bit Cinnamon
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Post by turboscrew »

I could add that Mint is usuallu quite stable from beginning - much more stable than Ubuntu.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”