GNU/Linux Versions Performance Comparison (older hardware)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Re: GNU/Linux Versions Performance Comparison (older hardwar

Post by Dave B »

Sorry unable to reply sooner.

Yes, when first began testing I certainly expected vastly different results. Currently, except for Blender renders (speaking of which, all Blender render screen captures are available if anyone wishes to see them), all tests are performed manually, several times, to try and reduce human error. Even did a Puppy Linux (Quirky) pre-test in a virtual machine, and Blender rendered 2 minutes faster with MATE in a virtual machine with exactly the same settings, and yes I have those screen captures too. :D Thanks for the links!

Desktop wars, oh no! :o That was certainly never my intention, and doesn't sound like it was a fun time to be on the forum.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

These various tests just dispel some myths associated with different desktop environments. I don't think any desktop wars are going to erupt around here.
maciimacii

Post by maciimacii »

Fastest most responsive and usable Linux distro I've come across for a Samsung N140 Netbook with 32bit Intel Atom N280 at 1.66GHz was

Linux Mint Mate 17.3

After trying LUbuntu, Bodhi and quite a few others.

The fastest browser for Youtube vids was Opera (12.16) although Firefox did ok for some vids but not others.

Chromium and Midori were slow for Youtube vids and unwatchable.

When the Youtube vids are played on hardware that just makes it, then how the browser is rendering graphics can make a big difference and Opera wins and Midori is probably the worst.

All of the above also applies to a core duo 1.8GHz Dell D620.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”