Xfce4 mint Ubuntu or Mint Mate debian & add Xfce? Which...?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
groze

Xfce4 mint Ubuntu or Mint Mate debian & add Xfce? Which...?

Post by groze »

Xfce4 mint Ubuntu or Mint Mate debian & add Xfce? Which should I use?

I also read PPAs don't work with debian. When I tried straight debian jessie. PPA's did actually work(Grub customizer, Seamonkey, Firefox). The main issue I had with debian jessie it was a real pain in the neck to configure. I hope it easier to install stuff using Mint Mate debian

Right now, I am using Lubuntu 14.04.3 lts with Xfce desktop because 15.10 Wily (Most flavors) wouldn't keep the screen resolution set. That is why I was thinking of using Mint Mate debian then adding the Xfce4 destkop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: Xfce4 mint Ubuntu or Mint Mate debian & add Xfce? Which.

Post by seeley »

Hi!
Mint MATE allows you to add Xfce, LMDE not.

Maybe you' ll find a hint in my HowTo
Quickly get help
chapter 28 + 32 (at the end).
groze

Post by groze »

seeley wrote:Hi!

Quickly get help
Thank you seeley.

LMDE, The developers might want to fix the apt-cache for the Linux Mint Debian version. When I booted up USB live LMDE & did apt-cache search xfce4 , xfce4 did show up as an installable item. I take it once LMDE is installed. You could do sudo apt-get install xfce4 , it would install but you wouldn't be able to login to xfce4?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

groze wrote:
seeley wrote:Hi!

Quickly get help
Thank you seeley.

LMDE, The developers might want to fix the apt-cache for the Linux Mint Debian version. When I booted up USB live LMDE & did apt-cache search xfce4 , xfce4 did show up as an installable item. I take it once LMDE is installed. You could do sudo apt-get install xfce4 , it would install but you wouldn't be able to login to xfce4?
Hi groze. Actually, you can install xfce4 in LMDE. The difference is that it'll be the Debian package for xfce4, not the Mint package. What I mean is that both Mint and Debian configure their xfce4 desktops to look a certain way by default, and the Mint xfce4 desktop looks different than that Debian xfce4 desktop. For LMDE, the Mint team does not offer a xfce4 package, so if you install xfce4, it'll be the Debian version.
If you installed xfce4, you would be able to log in.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Xfce4 mint Ubuntu or Mint Mate debian & add Xfce? Which should I use?

Does "Xfce4 mint Ubuntu" = Mint Xfce?
and "Mint Mate debian" = LMDE w/Mate?

Probably easiest to install (regular) Mint, Xfce version.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Hey groze, what is your goal? I mean if you would tell us exactly what you want to end up with, maybe we can advise on how best to get there. The topic title doesn't make much sense to me...sorry.
groze

<solved> Re: Xfce4 mint Ubuntu or Mint Mate debian & add Xfc

Post by groze »

Sorry for the late reply. I have done it differently now. I have Linux Mint Xfce 17.3 installed which is working really well so far.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”