LXDE CE?

Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Shark

LXDE CE?

Post by Shark »

Hello. I would like to ask you, do you plan on making LXDE edition of Linux Mint? I know I can simply get XFCE and install LXDE on it, but it would be nice to have an out-of-the-box version of LXDE Mint with the lightest applications from repositories (epiphany preinstalled, not firefox, for example, or abiword, not openoffice).
It would be the most suitable version for my dying 233MHz PC.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: LXDE CE?

Post by Zwopper »

Take a look at #! Crunchbang Linux - it provides the same base (Ubuntu 8.10 atm) and LXDE and OpenBox.
Otherwise Puppy Linux might be of interest.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

You have also U-lite (formerly Ubuntulite) for some information see its website or Distrowatch at http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ulite
U-lite (formerly Ubuntulite) is a light-weight distribution, based on Ubuntu, designed to run comfortably on old and low-resource computers. It comes with a careful selection of applications, such LXDE (featuring the Openbox window manager), Kazehakase web browser, Sylpheed mail client, AbiWord word processor and Gnumeric spreadsheet. Unlike most light-weight distributions, U-lite strives to provide a complete user experience out of the box.
(Distrowatch)

But Zwopper, these distributions are good but you have not the Mint Tools or the Mint spirit with them! :D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

True, but I've heard buzz at the Crunchbang forum about the mintTools, so you never know! ;)
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I got an email from someone at Crunchbang asking to use the tools from xfce ce.
I told them it wasn't a problem.
All they need to do is remove the branding.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I am actually working on an LXDE Mint, i was going to just use it myself, and maybe a few others, but there seems to be a pretty good interest in it, so maybe I'll look into talking to Clem, and actually trying to get a Mint LXDE CE, who knows.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Variety is always good and people like having choices. LXDE might make a very interesting addition!
Katzedecimal
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Katzedecimal »

Yowanymous had the idea of making a Mint for netbooks and I'm seeing LXDE increasingly showing on netbook editions of other distros. Perhaps combine the ideas? If so, I and my Acer Aspire One 110L would be happy to help test.
"Dance without sleeping, I'll dance without fear
Dance without senses, no message I hear
Dance without feeling, I'll dance 'til I'm numb
Dance 'til I think I can overcome" -- Melissa Etheridge
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

well, i am coming along pretty well on it. Now i just have to figure out a way to contact clem to ask him if i can have the team test it, and see if it can be added as a CE. I almost have an alpha iso ready for the testing team if it gets the green light, the mint tools are installed, and functioning, and i have created some custom menus and menu entries, as well as installed the newest lxpanel. I made a custom slim theme, and have the gfxboot, and usersplashes installed and working. I made a custom gtk theme for it, and i have installed the needed tools to customise to look. Compiz is installed by default, using fusion-icon, and emerald, but not enabled by default. It uses standard x-chat in place of x-chat-gnome, and firefox as the web browser. The mint artwork is installed, and used as default.
I need to figure out a way to get the mintmenu working in the lxpanel, though its not too big a deal, as the lxpanel is a one menu system too.
mintph
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mintph »

please keep us posted with this very innovative project. hopefully this will indeed be an official CE. many are getting interested with LXDE.

I've actually tried (and failed) to install Debian 5.0 XFCE_LXDE but couldn't get past "networking wifi".

I think the Knoppix 6.01 has a good representation of LXDE maybe you would want to check it out too for some ideas and to improve on it. Other notable ones are PUD Linux and U-Lite too.

by the way, will it be using wicd or networkmanager?

Good luck with the project. We will be looking forward to it.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

It uses Wicd for the network manager, as it seems to be the best wireless network manager so far. Though i have already decided to make a change, compiz is not going to be installed by default, instead XCompmanager will be used. There are few reasons for this, 1 is that LXDE is meant to be light, and for ppl who have low resources, or want a lightweight install, and compiz is pretty system intensive. 2, size on disk, removing compiz, and subsequently, emerald, all the themes, the plugins, etc. will free up alot of space.
mintph
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mintph »

wicd is great. i previously thought that networkmanager was good but after i tried wicd, i think wicd is much better. only thing they have to define is the signal strength bar which is not clearly visible since it is a vertical bar. i like the scaled-bar of network manager better.

what would be the default screen-shot tool? i like the one in xfce but i think it is made for xfce.

Return to “About Mint Editions”