Names on the GRUB menu list for LM 18

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Names on the GRUB menu list for LM 18

Post by Sgthawker »

Hi all,

I installed the 4 main versions of Linux Mint 18 on my laptop for experimentation. On my GRUB menu list, the KDE version comes up in the default position as it was installed last. The listing includes KDE on the menu for the DE, but the others simply say Sarah in lieu of the DE. Is there a particular reason for this? I noticed only KDE listed it as a 64-bit OS but not the others as well. It looked like the below sans sub menu entries.

Linux Mint 18 KDE 64-bit

Linux Mint 18 Sarah (18) (on /dev/sda3) {Cinnamon}

Linux Mint 18 Sarah (18) (on /dev/sda4) {MATE}

Linux Mint 18 Sarah (18) (on /dev/sda5) {Xfce}

I read up on grub editing, and happily, I added the DEs to the listing just to make it a little easier to tell which I am selecting. I replaced Sarah with the DE as above in the brackets.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Ryzen 7 5800X, GTX 3060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Names on the GRUB menu list for LM 18

Post by Pjotr »

I hope you didn't use the horrible application Grub Customizer for that, because that adds a thick layer of unnecessary complexity to your bootloader, which may well lead to boot failure at some future time....

You can simply modify those entries in the Grub menu like this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... tomentries
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sgthawker »

Pjotr wrote:I hope you didn't use the horrible application Grub Customizer for that, because that adds a thick layer of unnecessary complexity to your bootloader, which may well lead to boot failure at some future time....
@Pjotr

Well, you know, I did look at that possibility, but I didn't see that it actually offered the option to edit what was displayed on the menu. So I used kdesudo to open Kate and edit the /boot/grub/grub.cfg. It seems to have worked fine. I booted into each separate install and each seemed to work just fine.
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Ryzen 7 5800X, GTX 3060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I edit some of the menuentries the same way you did so that they reflect the information more clearly. It works fine. But you have to realize that your edits will be erased anytime you run sudo update-grub or install a new kernel.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

austin.texas wrote:I edit some of the menuentries the same way you did so that they reflect the information more clearly. It works fine. But you have to realize that your edits will be erased anytime you run sudo update-grub or install a new kernel.
If you use the method I advised, that shouldn't happen....
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sgthawker »

@austin.texas @pjotr

I have noticed with a kernel update the edits did disappear.

pjotr

Following your link, I see the directions listed for installing leafpad. Is there a particular reason for doing this as opposed to using any document editing program in the distro?

In the case of installs #3 and #4, I need to perform these steps while booted in the respective distro as well, following up with a boot into the primary install last, to perform it's grub update?
In other words, I can't edit install #3 and #4 lsb-release file while booted into install #2 and performing it's edits?

Thanks in advance for your time!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Sgthawker wrote:Following your link, I see the directions listed for installing leafpad. Is there a particular reason for doing this as opposed to using any document editing program in the distro?
Efficiency for me, because my how-to aims at being useful for more distro's than just Mint. Feel free to use xed instead.

Or install Leafpad anyway, which will only cost you a download of 110 kB and 736 kB of disk space. :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”