Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
reverend_nerd
Level 1
Level 1

Bugs on Jaunty to watch for on Gloria

Post by reverend_nerd » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:17 am

Last week my GDM from a Mint 6 Felicia install disagreed in some points and he decided to punish me, but not turning on properly. That however gave me an opportunity to give it a go and test the newest, freshest, quickest Ubuntu release of the moment, the Jaunty Jackalope .
I have to say the the experience was interesting but also quite disappointing in some ways.

Surely, the ext4 is fantastic, it booted and started X in 45 seconds in a low-end machine, the new GNOME notification is swell.

But, and there's always a but, some issues I have had back in my try with Hardy Heron, and that had been fixed in Intrepid updates, came back. I believe there is a large number of regressions that are quite problematic there. I spend 2 days playing with both Kubuntu and Ubuntu, before installing the Felicia back, and during these 2 days I filled 3 bug reports.
Now, I need to remind that I'm not a knowledgeable guy, Husse always keeps answering the stupidest problems I come up with, I don't push the system to the limit, I just like make it productive and have some eye candy now and then.

On Ubuntu 9.04, I got only one problem that made me go away. The libpango is f***ed up. I couldn't do my necessary customizations to icon and theme sets. This bug is a regression, has been around since Hardy, and came back to Jaunty.

On Kubuntu the issue was program interfacing. In fact, the complete lack of it was the problem. After you installed basic programs to substitute the "KDE-universe-self-centered-default", you couldn't get then to work, if you got the to work, then didn't communicate. After 2 hours of messing with firefox, thunderbird and trying to make then talk on kde I gave up on the system.
But then, I'm a GNOME guy.

Also, a great number of things in this new release are getting even more hidden away. The package repo system is a double-feature, now it install all dependencies, just like debian-rules and everything, but I dare someone to find a font package in the new GUI for the software install. At least in GNOME Synaptics was still around, on KDE I had to install Adept to be able to look at packages individually.

My concern is, how is this going to translate in MINT 7?
Are there any other bugs you people are unveiling? Expose them here! :)
"This- is now my way,- where is yours?" Thus did I answer those who asked me "the way." For the way- it does not exist!
- Friedrich Nietzsche. Thus Spake Zarathustra

trot2millah
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Bugs on Jaunty to watch for on Gloria

Post by trot2millah » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:08 am

I currently triple-boot with Windows XP Media Center Edition (for iTunes and MS Word only, rest assured), Mint 6 and Jaunty. The only major problems I've had in Jaunty are glitches within the theme system (like you mentioned), and glitchiness with graphics. Other than that, Jaunty is an excellent version and I can't wait for Linux Mint to find ways to top it :D
Gateway MX6424,2.2Ghz AMD Turion, 1GB RAM, XP Media Center Edition, Linux Mint Glroai, Ubuntu Karmi

haruspexed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by haruspexed » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:05 am

Personally I have the feeling that jaunty or gnome 2.26 is much slower than hardy with 2.24...
Sure the boot is faster, but overall workflow experience is much slower i think...
Dunno, lets see Gloria Final release...

SysSpecs:
* Intel GM 9... Graphics
* 1.6 Ghz, Intel M
* 1GB Ram

changturkey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by changturkey » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:53 am

It's because 9.04 has issues with Intel Graphics Cards.

dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dlkreations » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:50 pm

There are plenty of workarounds for the Intel issue, but there will be a fix soon I am sure. Hopefully by the time Gloria is released. AK Dave posted a very interesting thread about it that links to the Ubutnu forum. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=25132

Plus there is a link HERE about loading the testing drivers for Intel, that may or may not work. I loaded them on Felicia, and they seem to be working OK.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse

GerMulvey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GerMulvey » Mon May 04, 2009 5:30 am

ctrl-alt-backspace is disabled and I could see why.
I threw dontzap back in and when you do the ctrl-alt-backspace the top gnome panel icons disappear and all move to the left on logging back in. Bug filled. I thought that was why it had been disabled! seems it was a new bug. The panel reappears if you shrink and expand it.
Overall though I felt 9.04 64 bit was slow and the boot time was no faster for me at all (4400 x2 amd64, 2gig ddr2, sata hdd x 2/dvd, nvidia 8400gs) with either ext3 or 4. Video tearing was bad until I found the solution here! after trawling through the ub forums for days. Compiz default screen res at 50Hz and default lcd at 60Hz just don't play nice.
Some games I played in 8.10 via wine just do not work under 9.04 although counterstrike 1.6 did after chmod 666 /dev/nvidia* but this had no effect on Counterstrike source which just throws a platform issue up.
Overalll I was disapointed with Ubuntu 9.04. As for Kubuntu 9.04 after setting it up nicely I rebooted and was in gnome that's when I thought it time to go back to Mint.

I'll be interested to test forthcoming RC releases to see how Mint runs and feels against Ubuntu 9.04
If it ain't broke - fix it anyway!

Return to “About Mint Editions”