What about dropping Ubuntu-based Mint Edition ?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rayland-BH

Re: What about dropping Ubuntu-based Mint Edition ?

Post by Rayland-BH »

If I may chime in, I can provide the perspective of a combination Linux noob and less technical user. I came to Mint because I had heard it was easy to install and use, updates and package were very straightforward, and that I did not have to be a terminal master to be able to use it. I found all of that to be true in LM 18 Cinnamon, and I am able to do everything I want my computer to do without ever really having to think about the OS if I don't want to.

When I read the description of LMDE 2, the prospect of a rolling, ever changing OS scared me out of my mind. I wanted no part of the ideas of constant feature updates, bleeding edge tech, and likely having to troubleshoot things myself if it went wrong. I'm not saying in the slightest that this is inherently bad, it was just clearly not for me. I just want a computer that works when I turn it on, is easy to operate, and is simple to keep running securely, allowing me to spend more of my computer time using the programs I want rather than tinkering with the OS.

I am truly grateful that this distro exists for users like me, and that LMDE 2 exists for who want that instead. I am also very grateful that people smarter than I have these kinds of discussions, because ultimately I can reap the rewards of their collective wisdom without having to fully understand it.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ openfred, .......
openfred wrote:...
LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) is a very exciting distribution, targeted at experienced users, which provides the same environment as Linux Mint but uses Debian as its package base, instead of Ubuntu.
LMDE is less mainstream than Linux Mint, it has a much smaller user base, it is not compatible with PPAs, and it lacks a few features. That makes it a bit harder to use and harder to find help for, so it is not recommended for novice users.
https://linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

The main base of Linux is the Linux kernel invented and maintained by Linus Torvald. Debian is a Linux distro based directly on the Linux kernel, similar to Google's Android.

Debian, like ArchLinux, is mainly for use by tech-geeks, eg for DIY/customization use and to use the latest bleeding-edge hardware and features.

Debian was adapted into Ubuntu to be more user-friendly(wrt GUI and plug-n-play) and stable for use by even computer dummies, similar to Win 7 and MacOS.
... Linux Mint and Zorin OS are forks of Ubuntu, similar to Waterfox and Cyberfox being forks of Firefox.
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Hi Rayland-BH,

Just to clarify, LMDE isn't a rolling edition, its built on a fixed Debian base. Just as Linux Mint editions are built on a fixed LTS Ubuntu base.
Rayland-BH

Post by Rayland-BH »

Dave B wrote: Just to clarify, LMDE isn't a rolling edition, its built on a fixed Debian base.
Thank you for the clarification. I freely admit that my understanding of such things is limited, and I hang around these forums in the hopes of absorbing others' knowledge. I was basing my decision on the LMDE 2 download page, which certainly made it sound a lot less fixed than the point releases of Linux Mint.

Regardless, I think that Ubuntu based Mint is the right choice for me, and I would be sad to see it go. Maybe someday I will feel brave enough to venture into the more exciting variants of Linux, but today is not that day.
rado84

Post by rado84 »

Debian 9 is crap and I doubt Debian 10 would be anything different. I hope Mint devs never stop develop the Ubuntu based edition. If that happens, I'll have migrate back to Windows. :lol:
timapple

Post by timapple »

Lucap wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:25 am /me gets the stirring stick out.

What about basing Mint on Arch? :P
I run Manjaro Cinnamon as my daily and love it. Still not as fully polished as Mint though... I stick with Manjaro purely for package selection.

Nowadays with flatpaks, appimages, and snaps, I may give Mint 19 a solid go this time, packages aren't as much an issue anymore.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”