Windows 10 to Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia Cinnamon 64 bit

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TappiKid

Windows 10 to Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia Cinnamon 64 bit

Post by TappiKid »

I'm not computer smart but not an idiot either. Guess I know enough to be dangerous to myself. Have been reading and searching.

My 1st question is related to changing to Chromium from Chrome. In just plugging those words in the search I came up with 3786 hits that I BEGAN to read and all I got was technical stuff unrelated (as far as I scanned) and was overwhelmingly daunting, so hopefully this will not aggravate y'all. I have all my saved stuff from Chrome migrated over into Chromium and am working through that. I read that Chrome has a couple different things (two that I understood: flash player and pdf viewer). Will that run into glitches opening saved websites and favorites now in Chromium? Do I need to add something to Chromium to be able to do what they did or does Linux cover that? Showing my ignorance there :D This pops up because I use ZOOM for meetings almost weekly and now over in LInux I have to make changes for it to work and I still haven't got that one fixed.

I'm changing after enough aggravations with Microsoft and I'm happy about the changes but old dogs take longer to learn new tricks. I have a dual boot and would like to move all my files to the Linux side. I can access them fine but it is quit a string of clicks. Also, is this possible since they are on the Windows Side of my computer and the Linux side is a smaller partition. I have a 2 TB hard drive so there is lots of space but not for doing all things double. I have lots of pictures and audio files) Can I move the partition to make the Linux side bigger and the Windows smaller as I move stuff in the background? Or is there some easier way (I feel there is and I will learn it). I am able to follow clear steps for fixing things. The terminal does make me nervous as that is in the guts and I'm afraid of messing things up where I'll be done in.

Thanks again for any and all help here!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Windows 10 to Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia Cinnamon 64 bit

Post by deepakdeshp »

Download gparted make it bootable and boot from it. You will be able to shrink and grow partitions.Of course you can shrink depending on the free space in that partition.
Word of caution, if there is any error,then the systems may become unbootable and files can be lost. Most important is take a backup of data on an ext drive before attempting this.
Good luck
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello TappiKid and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,

As for the difference between Chrome and Chromium. You may have some problems with web pages that need a newer flash program but pepper flash can be installed from the repository, but may not be as new at the ones offered in Chrome. I just install chrome on my mint, it works just as well as in windows. But of course many in linux don't like the fact that google tracks some of there stuff when your using chrome. you can download the linux .deb file from chrome's download site.
I also use opera Which works really well on mint also. you can down load that from there site also. both work.

There are many other browsers you may want to try as well. But your Chrome bookmarks and settings should work in chromium without much trouble. in fact if you set up a google account you can synchronize your chromium to you old chrome in stall and everything will be transfered. no need to do it manually.
Good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
rado84

Post by rado84 »

kc1di wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:26 am I just install chrome on my mint, it works just as well as in windows.
A little offtopic here but... how did you do that? :shock: I downloaded a deb of Chrome but when I tried to install it, there was a message that goes something like "not all dependencies were satisfied" and that's it - I'm not allowed to proceed from that point.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Is your system up to date?
and did you attempt to install using gdebi?
one other possibility is you machine connected to the Internet? It will have to be to download the dependencies.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
rado84

Post by rado84 »

kc1di wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:34 am Is your system up to date?
and did you attempt to install using gdebi?
one other possibility is you machine connected to the Internet? It will have to be to download the dependencies.
Yes.
Idk what that is. I'm still taking my first serious steps in Linux.
Yes, it is - all the time. Home wi-fi network but connected to the PC via cable.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

rado84 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:48 am I downloaded a deb of Chrome but when I tried to install it, there was a message that goes something like "not all dependencies were satisfied" and that's it - I'm not allowed to proceed from that point.
Can you start a separate topic for this question? People will notice it more and you won't be hijacking someone else's topic that way.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

As Moem suggested please start a new thread on this issue. Thanks.
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

Okay from what I understand 2TB of drive - you can, I believe shrink your folders down on Windows 10, but why not just take all the picture files off onto a separate external drive which you can get 2TB - I have.
If you are not sure of how to do the duel boot, after backing up your stuff and let Mint Install do it for you. I did that at first then, did a complete fresh install of Mint as I wasn't going back to windows and Mint has everything you need anyway.

Terminal nothing to be afraid of. It is just CMD, but better - there are plenty of guides out to get you around it.

Then I must admit to getting lost as you changed topic- We all can do that but as we've all found out, if you search this forum they'll be answer.

As others have suggested go to https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/Home and read through it - It explains what you need to know.

Avoid the temptation of rushing things, just forget windows and relax in Mint - If you've not installed yet do a live session and play around as no lasting changes will be made until you do real install. As my signature says Time Enough so take it and before you do anything drastic remember Timeshift is there to be used as your safety net to undo them

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”