Recover deleted/formated data

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nitinsaxena27

Recover deleted/formated data

Post by nitinsaxena27 »

Hi Team,
I am a new linux user and wanted to switch to linux mint. I had windows 10 earlier with 500gb of HD with NTFS format. While installing Linux I mistakenly chose for deleting data and cleaning up all windows. I thought this will cleanup C: drive. But now completed 500gb has been reformatted to clean slate. I some important stuff I had backed up but still want to recover some photos and documents which are very important. After fresh installation I have not copied any data to HD or istalled any software just to avoid data overwritten. Can someone help me recovering the data. Help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Recover deleted/formated data

Post by JoeFootball »

nitinsaxena27 wrote:But now completed 500gb has been reformatted to clean slate.
If it's actually been formatted, then this might be a challenge. :| Regardless, while I haven't any experience with them, I've heard that PhotoRec and TestDisk are helpful in this regard.

Joe
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

+1 for photorec. This is part of 'testdisk' utility available in the repositories.
Being a windows partition you wish to recover you should also consider a windows recovery utility such
as Easus Partition Recovery. It is free to use and scan for recoverable files, to actually recover them requires
a license purchase.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
nitinsaxena27

Post by nitinsaxena27 »

Thanks for the response.
I am already trying testdisk but no luck so far. It cannot detect the partition. Also, how can I use windows utilities since I have already installed Linux on my machine.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”