Mint Cinnamon 19.1 Upgrade Went Perfectly

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrGrimm

Mint Cinnamon 19.1 Upgrade Went Perfectly

Post by MrGrimm »

got offered the upgrade this morning, did all the preupgrade prep work, installed, rebooted and looks good. the only thing i got was something about the themes, but before i could take a screenshot it was gone. did a reboot to see if it would popup again an no. now to clear up a little confusion about the new panel. a lot of us if not most of us were given the impression once back on the desktop after the upgrade we would still have the old panel, and if we then chose the new panel we would lose all our settings and have to set it up like we want. i can tell you that is not the case. after the reboot you have the new panel, and it has all your settings and applets. i can tell cause of the decreased systray icon size, and the decreased date and time size. so that is a plus. not a plus is removing compact under arrange instead of fixing the grid alignment issue, or addressing the icon spacing for smaller icons.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint Cinnamon 19.1 Upgrade Went Perfectly

Post by stephanieswitzer »

I upgraded via "Update Manager" as well. I updated "Update Manager" first, then I followed the update instructions and everything went according to plan. No errors or issues. I'm using Kernel 4.15.0-43 supported until April 2023, but I do notice that I now have Kernel 4.18.0-13 supported until August 2019 available to install ?
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

stephanieswitzer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:28 am I upgraded via "Update Manager" as well. I updated "Update Manager" first, then I followed the update instructions and everything went according to plan. No errors or issues. I'm using Kernel 4.15.0-43 supported until April 2023, but I do notice that I now have Kernel 4.18.0-13 supported until August 2019 available to install ?
i didn't see anything about the new kernel. i can't swear to it but i'm pretty sure "4.15.0-43-generic" is what was in 19, so not updated at all. i would of thought with 19.1 there would of been at least a minor kernel update especially considering the dates here.

Code: Select all

Linux_4.19 Released 22 October, 2018 (71 days)
Linux_4.18 Released 12 August, 2018 (70 days)
Linux_4.17 Released 3 Jun, 2018 (63 days)
Linux_4.16 Released 1 Apr, 2018 (73 days)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

As with any other packages, your distro's maintainers do the maintenance work on the package versions available in the repositories. That upstream has a different support schedule isn't relevant. Security fixes are backported by your distro's maintainers from versions the upstream developers support to the versions in the repositories.

As seen on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnabl ... el_Support a new HWE (hardware enablement) kernel doesn't become available until February 2019. Probably 4.18 from Ubuntu 18.10 as noted there. But for the entire lifetime of Linux Mint 19.x the 4.15 kernel will be supported.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:00 pm As with any other packages, your distro's maintainers do the maintenance work on the package versions available in the repositories. That upstream has a different support schedule isn't relevant. Security fixes are backported by your distro's maintainers from versions the upstream developers support to the versions in the repositories.

As seen on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnabl ... el_Support a new HWE (hardware enablement) kernel doesn't become available until February 2019. Probably 4.18 from Ubuntu 18.10 as noted there. But for the entire lifetime of Linux Mint 19.x the 4.15 kernel will be supported.
how about manually updating the kernel?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”