Which version of Mint to chooce? [SOLVED]

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Eesaurus

Which version of Mint to chooce? [SOLVED]

Post by Eesaurus »

I'm looking for a suitable version of Mint for my parents quite old pc. It is about 5 years old some DTK (i can check the exact model if needed) with very modest graphics card (no Linux-driver for it i understood) etc. and only 256 mb of ram, so i guess it must be some light edition. They have new 22" Benq display, so the version of Mint must be able to handle the display's resolution (1680x1050 if i remember correctly) without hours of work. They have Xubuntu 8.10 now, but i couldn't get the resolution right. I know that (X)ubuntu 8.04 might be better with resolutions, but i prefer Mint.

Felicia Xfce?

EDIT: Edited the subject.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Eesaurus

Re: Which version of Mint to chooce?

Post by Eesaurus »

Graphics card in the pc is Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i1 graphic card.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

If you're patient, Gloria XFCE is on its way to an RC (just needs to be approved by clem now)
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

emorrp1 wrote:If you're patient, Gloria XFCE is on its way to an RC (just needs to be approved by clem now)
Yep, i'm patient. But do you mean that Gloria Xfce can handle the 1680x1050 resolution just like that? I'm asking that because i just remembered that i have tried _Felicia_ Xfce live-cd in my parents pc and there wasn't that resolution available.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

re: hardware support:
a) it improves between releases, so it may work in Gloria
b) generally unaffected by edition of mint, so if it works in xfce, it'll work in the main gnome
c) your restriction is actually RAM, although there are versions of linux designed to run great on older systems, mint isn't one of them, so requires at least 386MB during installation, except for the lighter xfce edition.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Eesaurus ,
You are correct, it ALL depends on your graphics card.
The Trident Cyberblade i1 is 8mb AGP with only 2D graphics. I cannot find the supported resolutions, but I don't think that it will handle 1680 x 1050 (I hope I'm wrong!)

You may want to check the manufacturer's website for the manual for your particular pc model.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

good point richyrich! Easaurus, have you ever got that monitor working with your graphics card, in any OS?
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

emorrp1 wrote:Easaurus, have you ever got that monitor working with your graphics card, in any OS?
No i haven't. I've tried Ubuntu 8.04, Xubuntu 8.04, Xubuntu 8.10 and Mint Felicia Xfce live-cd.

Ok, no worries. It's high time for a new pc anyway. And that's a good thing, because then they can too have The Great Linux Mint Gloria main edition with all of it's features. 8)

Thanks anyway!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”