Gparted missing in Cinnamon 19.2? confused?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chubbymoth

Gparted missing in Cinnamon 19.2? confused?

Post by chubbymoth »

I did a fresh install of Mint 19.2 with my favourite desktop manager Cinnamon. Then I wanted to partion my other HD's. No Gparted? confused?

Then I went on to ask on the forum, what unknown tool had been used as replacement. After some confusion I found out that there was a tool called Disks. Disks however shows in the preferences menu rather than the admin tools where you would expect to find anything able to foobar a machine and the tools to administer the machine. Looking at Disks, I couldn't find a way to actually partion disks either. It makes backups of volumes it seems, but selecting the help info sent me to a not very helpful overview of Cinnamon, rather than a description of the app and what it is supposed to be used for. The Gitlab site of disks was equally helpful. As a result I decided not to touch it for now and have a look at it later.

I'm a great fan of Mint and Cinnamon in particular as it always managed to give a good standard tool set for both the common Linux user and their grannies, but I severely hope the Cinnamon team reconsiders what should be included in the distro. Having to boot the live disk form USB in order to use Gparted is not all that practical and installing Gparted while in the bush without internet not feasible. Especially when you forgot to bring the USB stick and now have to drive 50km up and down to get the thing.

No doubt that the creators of these distro's consider their 1st world situation of MB connections with low latencies, but there are other use cases. If I had been in China, I wouldn't even be able to get Gparted through the official channel as about everything is blocked or obfused. I could use a VPN which is illegal for private persons. Sure,.. there are ways, but it can take quite a while digging through forum post to come up with solutions.

So please before you decide to dumb Cinnamon down any further and make it idiot proof, think of the idiot support professionals who are the promoters of the worlds only truly well designed UI distro. Gparted, in my opion should be part of the installed distro. It certainly makes me wonder what other skimming has been done to unpleasantly surprise me.

Please do not follow the Apple idiocy or the Moziila dumb down to insignificance path.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Gparted missing in Cinnamon 19.2? confused?

Post by Moem »

I don't think GParted has been preinstalled as long as I've been using Mint (since 17.x).

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

chubbymoth wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:50 am Please do not follow the Apple idiocy or the Moziila dumb down to insignificance path.
Exactly. Use fdisk.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

If you like your gparted, you can install your gparted. So to speak.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”