Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Cubby
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Things I would like to see in future Mints

Post by Cubby » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:41 pm

Since I never install nVidia proprietary drivers for my geforce 8500 card, I use default nv driver and it isn't that great. Yes, I did try the proprietary driver once, but I wasn't impressed when I finally got it to work. I'm using Nouveau in another distro and what a difference - very crisp look to the desktop in spite of it only being 2D. Maybe this will be implemented in a future Mint version. I use it in KDE4.
Athlon 64 FX-57, Asus A8N-E, nForce4 chipset, video card NX8500GT GeForce, sound card bGears b-Enspirer w/ audio contlr: CMI8788 [Oxygen], 4G RAM, Sata WD hd 160G + 320G. Boot XP Pro nLite and a few other Linux distros.

Colonel Schell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Colonel Schell » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Actually, Kaye, the reason I want the neural interface is so I can move around, go to work, to the library...yes, books do still exist on paper...and hence the need for the roving Internet connection, jumping from tower to tower as I drive, or walk. I do somewhat prefer the virtual to the real, but I also see the pathology in that.

I guess it's a tongue-in-cheek way of describing my addiction to the Internet, and how if I didn't have to go outside my house to work, I wouldn't. There are times that I feel more connected to the people I meet online, and while I am aware that it's an illusion, it works for me. As an oddball misfit, I am able to accept this.

It's also good to have real-world people--and cats-- in my life to keep me from going too far.
Registered Linux User#497028; Registered Linux Machine #408808.
Want to get rid of old hardware? http://computersforcharity.webs.com/ or http://freegeekcolumbus.org/

distro hopper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by distro hopper » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:00 pm

rhY wrote:Deluge instead of Transmission. VLC instead of Totem. An improved Pidgin that can actually best Skype (and on Windows!).

Other than that, Mint is damn near perfect as is! Having an optional AWN config that automagically replaced the bottom panel might be sweet. Maybe a script that just did that from somewhere in the personalize menu.

Viva La Mint!
Out-of-the-box Deluge would be awesome! But I can understand that theres also a few dozen other apps that would be really cool to have ootb and theres just not enough space on 1 CD :P I tried AWN out and it was pretty cool.. I think a lot of people who try it like it... why do you need a special script for it though? It's pretty easy to grab from the repo.
Distrohopper

rhY
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rhY » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:13 pm

My idea about the special script was so that Mint would enable a better AWN out of box. If it was a setting like "Turn on Desktop Effects", and just automagically replaced the bottom panel with AWN and a clock widget, I think a lot of people would use it, and also that would attract EVEN more people to Mint.

Besting Mac OS X (optionally) out of the box is something none of the other distros do, on eye candy, and it seems like it would be relatively easy.

Way more important though is VLC. VLC should be the #1 priority for the next Mint. It schools Totem on absolutely every front.

Secondly Deluge for Transmission should just happen. It probably won't take more than 5 seconds of tweaking Clem! And Deluge is 1,000,000x better than Transmission. AND it has a Windows version that is the best torrent program out for that platform too, so switchers from Windows *could* get familiar with that app on Windows before switching to Linux (in addition to Firefox, VLC, Pidgin.....).

The only thing I really don't see a solution for is the Winamp problem. Winamp 2.81 just works better and has less cruft than any other audio player out, ever. I don't even listen to music when I'm on Linux (Except under a Virtual Machine), because there is plainly no equivalent. Rhythmbox is bloated, amarok is bloated, songbird is bloated. They are all slow, giant lag wagons that suck compared to Winamp 2.81. And I'm not even talking about Auto DJ and Milk-Drop, which are also missing from Linux.

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:09 am

rhY,

Have you tried Banshee? I like it more than any music player I've ever used on any OS.
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

distro hopper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by distro hopper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:26 am

rhY wrote:The only thing I really don't see a solution for is the Winamp problem. Winamp 2.81 just works better and has less cruft than any other audio player out, ever. I don't even listen to music when I'm on Linux (Except under a Virtual Machine), because there is plainly no equivalent.
Have you tried Audacious? it's ugly as sin, but so was winamp 2.81 iirc.
Distrohopper

dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dequire » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:52 pm

phil wrote:...I don't use KDE but I see a trend with very high download speeds that are available some places in the world.

It is wonderful to have a working system right out of the box, but please don't include drivers for video or anything else we can do without to get going.

Mint Update and Synaptic are very good and easy to use to add on whatever your preferences might be.
IMO, having one edition out of all the Mint editions not fit on a CD is not a "trend". However, I am in agreement that I would like to see a "minimal" edition as well, using a command-line installer with a minimal Ubuntu install + Mint Tools.
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint

Charles_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Charles_ » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:06 am

rhY wrote:Secondly Deluge for Transmission should just happen. It probably won't take more than 5 seconds of tweaking Clem! And Deluge is 1,000,000x better than Transmission.
Deluge is a good program, and I'm glad you found a torrent client that you like. As a sometimes-Mint user and one of the Transmission programmers, and after seeing a bunch of posts from you about this, I wanted to delurk & stick up for Transmission...

Transmission and Deluge download at equivalent speeds, but Transmission uses about 1/3rd the memory. Transmission is actively developed and its developers work closely with distros on tickets.
rhY wrote:AND it has a Windows version that is the best torrent program out for that platform too, so switchers from Windows *could* get familiar with that app on Windows before switching to Linux (in addition to Firefox, VLC, Pidgin.....).
Transmission is the most popular torrent program on OS X, so switchers from OS X *could* get familiar on that app on OS X before switching to Linux.

On Windows, neither Transmission nor Deluge even break a 1% user share. µTorrent completely owns that market.

Anyway, like I said Deluge is a good program and I'm glad you're happy with it. I just wanted to make the case for Transmission too. :)

[edit: fixed URL]

rhY
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rhY » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:46 pm

distro hopper wrote:
rhY wrote:The only thing I really don't see a solution for is the Winamp problem. Winamp 2.81 just works better and has less cruft than any other audio player out, ever. I don't even listen to music when I'm on Linux (Except under a Virtual Machine), because there is plainly no equivalent.
Have you tried Audacious? it's ugly as sin, but so was winamp 2.81 iirc.
Audacious is GREAT! It sounds awesome with some of the plugins enabled! Incredible! Why hadn't I found this before? My new main suggestion for Mint is Audacious instead of Rhythmbox, but with a custom Mint Skin. AMAZING!

Oh, and I don't think 2.81 is all that ugly, but both winamp and audacious are totally skinnable... There are TONS of skins available since Audacious uses the same skins as Winamp 2.x!

catilley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:03 pm

I would like to see a program that will automatically download and install the drivers for all printers. especially the brand name ones such a Dell, HP, Lexmark and others. This is the ONLY problem that I have seen with Mint (and with all other Linux distros, too.

optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Post by optimize me » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:38 pm

Charles_ wrote:
rhY wrote:Secondly Deluge for Transmission should just happen. It probably won't take more than 5 seconds of tweaking Clem! And Deluge is 1,000,000x better than Transmission.
Deluge is a good program, and I'm glad you found a torrent client that you like. As a sometimes-Mint user and one of the Transmission programmers, and after seeing a bunch of posts from you about this, I wanted to delurk & stick up for Transmission...

Transmission and Deluge download at equivalent speeds, but Transmission uses about 1/3rd the memory. Transmission is actively developed and its developers work closely with distros on tickets.
rhY wrote:AND it has a Windows version that is the best torrent program out for that platform too, so switchers from Windows *could* get familiar with that app on Windows before switching to Linux (in addition to Firefox, VLC, Pidgin.....).
Transmission is the most popular torrent program on OS X, so switchers from OS X *could* get familiar on that app on OS X before switching to Linux.

On Windows, neither Transmission nor Deluge even break a 1% user share. µTorrent completely owns that market.

Anyway, like I said Deluge is a good program and I'm glad you're happy with it. I just wanted to make the case for Transmission too. :)

[edit: fixed URL]
I'd like to add to that if I may: While not a fan of Transmission, I have noticed that recent versions of Deluge have gone towards the bloated end of the spectrum. Deluge eats up a ton of resources, especially since the added in the Deluge Daemon and web interface functionality. How many people really need to get into their home computer and start a torrent, FFS?
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970

LordJeremias
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LordJeremias » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:18 am

an option to enable automatic updates.
i install and somehow "manage" a couple of pcs with linux mint for my family (mother, aunt, mother in law...) usually for people that simply turn it on, do the usual web, mail and office work, and shut it down. they are not computer skilled and with "fear of damaging the machine" and as such the best way for them is to make them a standard user and explaining that as they cannont damage the system area, they can be relaxed as the sistem is user proof.
however as i can't be there all weeks or fortnights to perform routin maintenance admin routines, what i would want was to have an option for the automatic updates to be downloaded and installed every week or so, silently and independtly of the user (without admin power) using the pc. this could be done as an option on mintupdate or as some kind of scheduled file with an sudo apt-get update routine. (wich i don't know how to do so if you have any tip feel free to share! )
thanks for the good work,
lj,
Portugal

optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Post by optimize me » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:30 am

LordJeremias wrote:an option to enable automatic updates.
i install and somehow "manage" a couple of pcs with linux mint for my family (mother, aunt, mother in law...) usually for people that simply turn it on, do the usual web, mail and office work, and shut it down. they are not computer skilled and with "fear of damaging the machine" and as such the best way for them is to make them a standard user and explaining that as they cannont damage the system area, they can be relaxed as the sistem is user proof.
however as i can't be there all weeks or fortnights to perform routin maintenance admin routines, what i would want was to have an option for the automatic updates to be downloaded and installed every week or so, silently and independtly of the user (without admin power) using the pc. this could be done as an option on mintupdate or as some kind of scheduled file with an sudo apt-get update routine. (wich i don't know how to do so if you have any tip feel free to share! )
thanks for the good work,
lj,
Portugal
Make a cron job that runs apt-get update as root. Problem solved.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970

rhY
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rhY » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:56 am

I will give Transmission another shot. I like the Deluge Icon though... :)

Pariah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pariah » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:03 pm

Colonel Schell wrote:Somewhere I have seen both Christian and Muslim editions of Ubuntu. I recall some debate about why DistroWatch did not include the Satanic Edition of Ubuntu (which was not a CE, as I recall).

However, as a Christian I would still like to side in on the side of making Mint completely non-partisan. Thank you.
I Stumbled Upon the Satanic Version of Ubuntu one day..gave me a good laugh. Then I checked it out a little, as I do any distro I haven't met before..that distro has some AMAZING artwork!!

Pariah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pariah » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:16 pm

I haven't posted anything in my wish list topic lately. Here's a small list of things I would love to see in future mints.
First of all, I'm never going to be a fan of Rhythmbox. I've had decent versions of it and buggy versions of it. I find it unnecessarily bloated. As a default selection, I would much rather see Banshee. Even Audacious. As a simple music player, Audacious tops everything (but then EasyTag might be a needful companion)
I still would like to see AWN applets of force-quit and MintMenu but that's mostly (give or take a bit) an issue with AWN.
My absolute biggest wish for Mint is that in future mints I would like to see Mint go to being Debian based rather than Ubuntu based. For the last month or so I struggled endlessly with the horrifyingly buggy Ubuntu 9.10..so much so that I downgraded to Mint 7, which sucked because Mint 8 was awesome, but Ubuntu made it much less so for me. I've been reading a lot about people, including core Ubuntu community members who are leaving Ubuntu because of the recent (and not so recent) changes that are taking Ubuntu away from those that matter the most, the community members. I miss having all the perks and happies of having the latest Mint but I just can't do it with all the problems Ubuntu is causing...Crunch Bang Linux is changing over to Debian from Ubuntu and I hope that Clem and the team make the same decision.

Kino
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kino » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi,

I would like to see a file manager which has the ability to include within a folder an area of text into which I can add notes, instructions, images, etc. and in effect, be a bit more like a web page.

motub
Level 1
Level 1

Post by motub » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:40 am

Pariah wrote:I still would like to see AWN applets of force-quit and MintMenu but that's mostly (give or take a bit) an issue with AWN.
I just started using AWN today, and these are the only two applets that I have to keep a minimal panel for. I really want these as AWN applets as well. I can see that force-quit might need to come from the AWN side, since it's a standard GNOME panel applet, but isn't it more feasible for Mint devs/programmers/users to submit the MintMenu as an AWN applet?

I recognize that I'm responding to an old-ish post, but given that Mint 9 (and therefore the MintMenu) is settled into a stable and frankly just-about-perfect state, maybe someone who knows a) how the current MintMenu applet works, and b) how to write an AWN applet might want to (re-)consider taking a look at this request?

alpha1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alpha1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:25 am

I would like the correct nvidia drivers to be installed - or atleast open the notification that it can be installed.

Currently, I suffered a complete blackout because Mint suggested some hardware driver for nvidia - which I downloaded and installed.
And dang! It turned everything black.

BTW - i have very old GEforce 4000 video card - but that shouldn't be an excuse.

keljaden
Level 2
Level 2

Post by keljaden » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:36 am

All my Nvidia cards work fine...Perhaps there is something else wrong?

Return to “About Mint Editions”