clem
Level 12
Level 12

A few ideas for Celena

Post by clem »

- mintArt: Better artwork
- mintAssistant: First-Run Configuration Assistant
- "maybe" a new Installer to replace Ubiquity

Progress: Just a few ideas and a name so far. We're not starting developing Celena yet. Light, XFCE and E17 editions of Cassandra should come out first. Then either we'll start Celena or we'll release a KDE Edition for Cassandra. It will depend on how many ideas go in Celena and how much time we have for the KDE Edition.

Clem

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

The girl's name Celena \ce-le-na\ is of Greek origin. Goddess of the moon, later identified with Artemis.

does this mean the theme will be a night time mint theme?

or mint werewolf... now we are talking.

I was thinking of a video driver recovery mode.

good work clem.

BTW first.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

cool_gamer8119
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cool_gamer8119 »

Hmmmmmmmmm..... Linux mint has so much in it already, it makes it hard to think of what it needs. the art looks hopeful and the programs are great...
*Maybe* a better sound scheme (not that i dont like the one it has, dang... i use it on windows!)
linux mint!

Level 1
Level 1

Post by 9812713 »

I am going to regret this post when I get flamed for even suggesting this ..

However, My suggestion is some sort of online storage integration to tie into a server back end.

My original Idea of a "Mint Server" which is idolized in this forum post ..

( http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3215 )

However at this point, there is probably not a huge demand for such a service at this present time. (hence why I mentioned flaming)

I am currently playing with the Ubuntu server, and services like NFS, (samba - :( ) and possible RSYNC.. Looking for a perfect central home server.

Anyways I have posted by peace.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

There is actually an idea that has to with both Celena and web storage. It's a new feature but just a concept so far.. here it comes:

"I'm a noob, I just took pictures with my camera... 25MB.. they don't fit in an email, how do I send them to my mum?"

the answer I'd like:

"I put them in a folder, I right click on it, and I choose 'share on the Internet', a dialog box appears with a progress bar.. and it gives a URL when finished. I send the URL to my mum."

That could be a feature of the upcoming yet obscure mintSpace... http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=765

It's all very blur still.... but it's feasible.

Clem

carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

That's really a great Idea and can open up possibilities for other types of file sharing. Not a shabby idea at all :wink:
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.

bjaurelio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bjaurelio »

i don't know if this is something you can do or not, but here's a small tweak that would be useful. the xorg.conf needs to have all the resolutions in it added by default. that way you aren't stuck at 1024x768 or screen acting funny before editing it yourself.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It would be easy to put that in, but as most system tweaks it's not something I would do. We're talking about a very important yet very sensitive part of the system and we can't afford to introduce bugs or reduce its stability. If a project was to make that change it would have to be xorg itself. It's like the kernel, you can patch it a lot (some distribution patch their kernel a lot) but you end up with something less standard, different than the vanilla version, less flexible and most likely to break on different system or incompatible with new versions. I'm more enclined to do things the slackware way and keep important parts in their pristine form. We're a distribution. Our main goal is to assemble parts of the system together. For each of these parts somebody takes responsibility and leads their development. We're not tweaking the kernel, we're not tweaking xorg and as much as we can we're not tweaking Ubuntu's innovations. The day we do (if we ever do), we'll start maintaining them as well and it will be in a very well tested environment.

In brief: We're looking for a stable base to rely on. Ubuntu is not doing too bad (apart from a few messes with 2.6.17-11 and recently with xorg and the sda/hda mess). What we focus on is the desktop and that's where our tweaks go in. And even then we don't want to go as far as making Gnome/KDE unstable.

The rumor has it: Xorg is going to drop xorg.conf and improve its autodetection. The fix will come from them.

Clem

mayku
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mayku »

Clem, can be a Graphic accelerator switcher as an future additional tweak? (if possible). Because I have always problem with beryl on my nvidia, but if i switch from the AIGLX to XGL acceleration (on terminal), beryl runs well and desktop effects too. I think, this little tool to change it can be very important for people that dreams to have a Beryl desktop at their nvidia-graphic-card on Mint and don`t know anything about Terminal.

And on the first post, if there are not lost... to make a KDE version of Cassandra (only if possible) and put in the next KDE the gnome MintMenu. That`s because on my view, the KDE environment and desktop are very cool, but the MintMenu from gnome is easier and better than the TastyMenu from KDE.

I don`t want it urgently, but, only if possible to make this, would i be very happy for seen this 2 new features on the next version of the best and easiest Linux i knows. If not possible, no problem, because i`m sure that Celena will becomes another goods stuffs without this.

thanks,
kamishiro Mayku

KrazyPenguin
Level 1
Level 1

Admin mode

Post by KrazyPenguin »

I've posted this in Ubuntu forums, it might be in Gutsy anyway.

I request a Admin mode, a long with many other people.

Nautalus scripts can be downloaded via Automatix.

But an Admin mode by default that isn't command line is very very user friendly.

If Mint doesn't do it, I am sure it will arrive in Gutsy or Gusty +1, since the demand is high.

Good luck !!!
;-)

./karlos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ./karlos »

bjaurelio wrote:i don't know if this is something you can do or not, but here's a small tweak that would be useful. the xorg.conf needs to have all the resolutions in it added by default. that way you aren't stuck at 1024x768 or screen acting funny before editing it yourself.
i set mine too high once by accident and the cable between the monitor and the pc melted AND the monitor caught fire. so i would say be very careful messing with xorg.conf. i would also say that this is why the resolution has a conservative default. saying that it will offer you all the resolutions if your monitor is detected correctly. the only distro to ever detect mine correctly (relysis te770) is PCBSD interestingly enough which is a freeBSD based distro.

yoz-y
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yoz-y »

i that the KDE version of mint should be postponed until the release of KDE4(late October). Who knows, mint could be the first and best out of the box KDE4 distribution.

That would leave more place for e17 and XFCE versions.

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Admin mode

Post by scorp123 »

KrazyPenguin wrote:But an Admin mode by default that isn't command line is very very user friendly.
Too dangerous. It will tempt noobs to do drag & drop stuff in places they are not supposed to touch! There is a good reason such stuff is not implemented. :twisted:

I'm totally against this.

bukake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bukake »

Hi all I just installed Linux Mint. I'm a Windows user all my life, had suse 10.1 for 2 months but never did something in text mode.I think Mint might become the reason for massive migration from Windows, however I have/had a few issues that I still cant resolve and might be considered as suggestions in next release.

1. I had really hard time until I found out how to remove grub's timeout on the boot menu, I wasnt clear why there weren't options in the control center (as in suse 10.1) and I had to do it through the terminal.And still I just increased he timeout from 10 to 500 sec :P I'm not sure if I remove timeout 500 line it gonna lose the contdown (some input on this is gonna be useful) . I would also like to add that the boot menu is kinda ugly :) you can put some design in the next release.

2. This is bugging me alot, but there is no reboot/restart to windows buttnon, restarting directly to windows without showing the grub boot menu. I'm trying to figure out this for a week, and nothing! I found a post with some guy that had writen his own code but I couldnt understand anything since my linux skills are very low. So this kind of button is gonna be good in the next release.

3. I'm using several keyboard layouts. I've noticed that there is no indicator or icon in the tray maybe, showing what layout is active (with flags possibly).

4. When I activate beryl I'm losing top of the window with the minimize, max and close buttons. the final product shouldnt be doing that. I know there is a command solving that I just need to find it :D .

I'm sure I'm gonna find tons of other things that I'm gonna need to figure out myself and its fun when see it working. Also input of solving these problems in current version is gonna beapreciated PM me with solutions or links.

newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

bukake wrote:
4. When I activate beryl I'm losing top of the window with the minimize, max and close buttons. the final product shouldnt be doing that. I know there is a command solving that I just need to find it Very Happy .
See:

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3042

BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BlahBlah_X »

I think Mint would thrive with the following:

- a debian sid base

- a modified version of YAST or DrakeConf

- Mettise

- More homegrown apps

stefan83
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stefan83 »

hallo everybody,

first i wanna thank the mint-team for their work. I used ubuntu for over one year now, but mint makes things alot better.

But i think there is something to make better. mint should have an installer, where you can chose what to install, like fedoras anaconda. It would be a great feature and it would be also beginnerfriendly. I hate to have so much stuff on my PC that i will never use or need. I am sure, i am not the only one, who thinks so.

Sorry for my bad english, i hope you can understand what i mean.

I think Mint has the potential to become the best distro ever!!! Thanks for your work! :)

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

(apart from a few messes with 2.6.17-11 and recently with xorg and the sda/hda mess)
The version 2.6.20-16 is a partial disaster. It's broken disk mounting in ICH chips and sound for some others and I think networking for some. :(
Some GUI tool to edit xorg.conf in a simple noob friendly way woud be nice - but safety has to be taken care of...
Mint is on top with wifi - but I think we need to simplify even further and boost performance.
I don't know how hard this is to do, but some general tool to help fixing errors like the one in Windows XP
Oh how dull I am - only things to make the support simpler :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

berbo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by berbo »

Have a real Canadian French Keyboard already installed and available by default. Best of all, Mint would detect it at the installation.

Here are the keymap for the Canadian French Keyboard:

!
! This is an `xmodmap' input file for
! PC 105 key, wide Delete, tall Enter (XFree86; CF) keyboards.
! Automatically generated on Wed Jun 13 21:55:32 2007 by root with
! XKeyCaps 2.47; Copyright (c) 1991-1999 Jamie Zawinski; 2005-2006 Christoph Berg.
! http://www.jwz.org/xkeycaps/
!
! This file makes the following changes:
!
! The "} >" key generates Menu

keycode 0x09 = Escape
keycode 0x43 = F1 F11
keycode 0x44 = F2 F12
keycode 0x45 = F3 F13
keycode 0x46 = F4 F14
keycode 0x47 = F5 F15
keycode 0x48 = F6 F16
keycode 0x49 = F7 F17
keycode 0x4A = F8 F18
keycode 0x4B = F9 F19
keycode 0x4C = F10 F20
keycode 0x5F = F11
keycode 0x60 = F12
keycode 0x6F = NoSymbol
keycode 0x4E = Mode_switch 0x1007FF01
keycode 0x6E = Pause
keycode 0x31 = numbersign bar backslash
keycode 0x0A = 1 exclam plusminus
keycode 0x0B = 2 quotedbl at
keycode 0x0C = 3 slash sterling
keycode 0x0D = 4 dollar cent
keycode 0x0E = 5 percent exclamdown
keycode 0x0F = 6 question questiondown
keycode 0x10 = 7 ampersand bar
keycode 0x11 = 8 asterisk twosuperior
keycode 0x12 = 9 parenleft threesuperior
keycode 0x13 = 0 parenright onequarter
keycode 0x14 = minus underscore onehalf
keycode 0x15 = equal plus threequarters
keycode 0x16 = BackSpace
keycode 0x6A = Insert
keycode 0x61 = Home
keycode 0x63 = Prior
keycode 0x4D = Num_Lock
keycode 0x70 = KP_Divide
keycode 0x3F = KP_Multiply
keycode 0x52 = KP_Subtract
keycode 0x17 = Tab
keycode 0x18 = q Q q
keycode 0x19 = w W w
keycode 0x1A = e E e
keycode 0x1B = r R r
keycode 0x1C = t T t
keycode 0x1D = y Y y
keycode 0x1E = u U u
keycode 0x1F = i I i
keycode 0x20 = o O section
keycode 0x21 = p P paragraph
keycode 0x22 = dead_circumflex asciicircum bracketleft
keycode 0x23 = dead_cedilla dead_diaeresis bracketright
keycode 0x24 = Return
keycode 0x6B = Delete
keycode 0x67 = End
keycode 0x69 = Next
keycode 0x4F = Home KP_7
keycode 0x50 = Up KP_8
keycode 0x51 = Prior KP_9
keycode 0x56 = KP_Add
keycode 0x42 = Caps_Lock
keycode 0x26 = a A
keycode 0x27 = s S s
keycode 0x28 = d D d
keycode 0x29 = f F f
keycode 0x2A = g G g
keycode 0x2B = h H h
keycode 0x2C = j J j
keycode 0x2D = k K k
keycode 0x2E = l L l
keycode 0x2F = semicolon colon asciitilde
keycode 0x30 = dead_grave grave braceleft
keycode 0x33 = less greater braceright
keycode 0x53 = Left KP_4
keycode 0x54 = dead_acute KP_5
keycode 0x55 = Right KP_6
keycode 0x32 = Shift_L
keycode 0x5E = guillemotleft guillemotright degree
keycode 0x34 = z Z z
keycode 0x35 = x X x
keycode 0x36 = c C c
keycode 0x37 = v V v
keycode 0x38 = b B b
keycode 0x39 = n N ntilde Ntilde
keycode 0x3A = m M mu
keycode 0x3B = comma apostrophe less
keycode 0x3C = period quotedbl greater
keycode 0x3D = eacute Eacute dead_acute
keycode 0x3E = Shift_R
keycode 0x62 = Up
keycode 0x57 = End KP_1
keycode 0x58 = Down KP_2
keycode 0x59 = Next KP_3
keycode 0x6C = KP_Enter
keycode 0x25 = Control_L
keycode 0x73 = bracketleft bracketright
keycode 0x40 = Alt_L Meta_L
keycode 0x41 = space
keycode 0x71 = Mode_switch
keycode 0x74 = braceleft less
keycode 0x75 = Menu
keycode 0x6D = Multi_key Control_R
keycode 0x64 = Left
keycode 0x68 = Down
keycode 0x66 = Right
keycode 0x5A = Insert KP_0
keycode 0x5B = Delete KP_Decimal

clear Shift
clear Lock
clear Control
clear Mod1
clear Mod2
clear Mod3
clear Mod4
clear Mod5

add Shift = Shift_L Shift_R
add Lock = Caps_Lock
add Control = Control_L
add Mod1 = Alt_L
add Mod2 = Num_Lock
add Mod5 = Mode_switch Mode_switch

mayku
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mayku »

stefan83 wrote:hallo everybody,

But i think there is something to make better. mint should have an installer, where you can chose what to install, like fedoras anaconda. It would be a great feature and it would be also beginnerfriendly. I hate to have so much stuff on my PC that i will never use or need. I am sure, i am not the only one, who thinks so.

I think Mint has the potential to become the best distro ever!!! Thanks for your work! :)
Really Great Point Stefan. This feature could be a true very beginnerfriendly thing. Like SuSe and Fedora has it since long time, but on they are only at a DVD version of the distro. I think if Mint Creates a KDE-DVD (Full 4.3gb) version with completly all what we (Linux users) needs will be very helpful that such of Installation-program-selector on it, so can we choose what we want on the installation without have something that we don't need on the HD free space. I think on the future will the people only have DVD version of their Operating Sistems, because a Broadband Internet and a DVD Burner doesn't cost so much today than before and nobody will die for having this.

Because i only wishes that someday Linux Mint will becomes a mod. distro that put all the best feature of others on it, like:

Sysinfo (suse),
Anaconda Installer with very much sort of programs (Fedora),
AIGLX or XGL or nothing (Sabayon),
Colored and easy Grub (Mandriva),
Glasses splashscreen (Kubuntu),
Easiest desktop (Dreamlinux),
Start-up Manager + second audio-card chooser + video resolution chooser (Big-Linux),

If possible Mint could be a dream for us all with all this feature on it, but i can see that for it something will be much and much work to do. I have time but i'm not a developer, if i could do something i would work night and day for linux to becoming the best OS of the world.

I trust on Mint, because on there can be more such of dreams realized on a one distant future...

Sorry for my poor english, i did never have a private learning for it. I learn alone(slow) because i want, and i think that all what we dreams and want we can become a finish someday, nothing is impossible, and nothing is wast of time.

Greetings, Kamishiro Mayku

Return to “About Mint Editions”