Mint 20.1 UEFI, Mate and other disasters on a brand new pc.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mint 20.1 UEFI, Mate and other disasters on a brand new pc.

Post by GS3 »

marlene wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:12 am the ultimate distaster.
Very distasteful indeed! :wink:

I am not inclined to get involved in this fustercluck but, just as general observation I will say that I have had plenty of problems with EFI and they really cannot be blamed on Linux. EFI should have never been implemented but it is here and we have no choice but to live with it.

I have had a very hard time installing LM on some laptops that were extremely difficult to get around the secureboot and all that jazz but with perseverance I have succeeded every time in the end. There are quite a few threads of mine as witness.

I have had to learn all about EFI, how it works, how to edit it, etc. but in the end it all works.

Have a look at this page which I found useful: https://www.linuxbabe.com/command-line/ ... r-examples

Once you understand how the EFI boot system works it is easier to get things working.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Reddog1 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:24 pm
There is no Mint 20.4 so your AMD screen could not have barfed on it. If you were installing LM20 MATE, changing the windows manger to compton clears the "barf" with the amdgpu driver not working with marco (default MATE windows manager) on Ubuntu 20.04-based systems.
No, I'm not. It was the 20.04 version (or whatever before 20.1 came out), and Xfce, not MATE.
The bug affected both MATE and Xfce. I mentioned MATE because that was the topic of this thread. Here is a long thread with others having the same issue and what they tried 20.04 Display issues with AMD GPU (on MATE and Xfce).

The version of Mint before 20.1 was 20. The Ubuntu version is 20.04.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
marlene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marlene »

SMG wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:09 pm
marlene wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:42 amNo you didn't.
Actually, he did. He posted, "b) UEFI especially is out of the control of Linux Mint and under the control of your machine,".

[....]
Then the other problems you had were installing third party software which is not part of Mint. That was self-inflicted, yet you are blaming Mint for that. Others have successfully installed that software and there is help available on the forum for both that and UEFI questions/concerns.
I don't know whose invention is UEFI and to tell you the truth I don't really care. Why should I have to relearn how to operate my machine just because someone had the idea after 40 years that the BIOS that already runs in my machine is not good enough for it.

As for the EFI partition: I was prompt to create this by the OS's installer. I wouldn't make it otherwise. It came along with the 20.1 iso image for some unknown to me reason. I don't really understand why linux distros developers feel obliged to include this when most of the pcs come with a perfectly working BIOS that in most cases you set itup once and you never bother with it again.

Regarding the third party software: That is the reason I'm using Linux. In order to be able to install safely whatever f software I want. Because I don't like Firefox that is calling back mozilla.org every five minutes and needs a hell of customization in the about:config in order to stop doing this.

I've never expected that it would be easier to make more private the chrome based browsers than firefox. :roll:
marlene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marlene »

Reddog1 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:55 pm The O.P. is right about UEFI. What makes it so frustrating is different bios implementing it in different ways. There is really no standardization, so every install is a new adventure in dealing with it. Some bios don't even allow legacy in the first place, so we are forced to deal with it. Microsoft is the problem.......
On the plus side, so far I haven't installed Mint 20 on a desktop where efi was a big problem, but I'm sure there are some out there. Laptops are a mess--every manufacturer has a 'designed from the ground up' and they even make big changes between models in the same family. Judging by the posts here, users are having an inordinate number of problems with 20, and not just on cutting edge laptops, either. Laptops 4 and 5 years old are puking. One of mine that ran perfectly on Mint 18.3 had the amd screen barf on 20.4. I never tried it on 20.1, and won't, until I'm forced to by eol.Yeah, I could probably have spent time and got it going, but a new install of a version that works out of the box (19.0) takes less than 20 minutes. Ubuntu is the problem.........
It doesn't really matter who is the one to blame. The fact of the matter is that it is there, implemented in Mint 20.1 and the installer is prompting the users to create an EFI partition with this thing, no matter what is the type of their machine ( old one, new one, desktop, laptop etc) or what is the version of its BIOS.

It looks to me like an addition for the sake of implementing a novelty into an OS and machines that don't actually need it. Novelty for the sake of the novelty because Microsoft, Ubuntu or who_knows_who said so!! :lol:

The worst of this whole situation is that it is time consuming and confusing.
Why should I had to spent that much time in order to install the operating system in an otherwise brand new pc. Why should I have to start with problems and why should I have to bother to solve these problems in the first place, just for the sake of installing this particular operating system like my life is depended on this.

The mentality of having to deal with a difficult installation that with your geeky/hacking/pro abilities and a lot of search and help from other pro geeks, you will be eventually be able to make, is soooooo old fashion! :lol:

ETA: It is incredible that I'm making such a discussion after so many years. I had just 11 posts from 2007 up until now, I've never needed or asked for any help all these years not because I'm any kind of genius on the matter ( it's not even my profession. I'm not a developer or something) but because it was never needed. Everything worked perfectly out of the box for 14 years straight and that was the reason why I stuck with Mint afer all.
And here I'm doing this discussion now.
marlene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marlene »

motoryzen wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:44 pm

-- I sincerely question if your only choice is a EFI/UEFI based install instead of doing it via a legacy install; meaning set the uefi/bios ( aka press fkey to "enter setup") as legacy. Power off that PC, plug in the LM mate install thumb drive, enter uefi/bios again and select the thumb drive booting option that doesn't talk about uefi or efi ( which might actually just have the brand name/make/model of that thumb drive) and put that as the first booting option.

I've never had a single problem out of LM Cinnamon installs using Legacy mode since version 11 around 10 years ago. Mate, on the other hand....for whatever odd reasons, always was crash and bug-prone for me regardless of the hardware or settings or work arounds.

Regardless, give a legacy install a try. I've been running LM 20 without any problems since early July 2020 and 20.1 the same as soon as it launched ( both as fresh clean installs) without problems
Thank you for your suggestions but I don't see any particular reason to install any of the 20-20.1 releases with or without UEFI . LM 19 works just fine as it is, ( in its upgraded of the upgraded installation ) from the old SATA disk and does what I need it to do. The very basic things that I use my computer for, to browse internet, edit my arwork photos, update my website, send and receive mails and watch a movie when I have time to do so.

The new pc works like a charm with its more than capable to deal with my tasks RAM and its processor's four cores. Voila! Computer in Nirvana...! :lol: What else can someone ask for?

https://ibb.co/dB577Xm
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

marlene wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:06 amI don't know whose invention is UEFI and to tell you the truth I don't really care. Why should I have to relearn how to operate my machine just because someone had the idea after 40 years that the BIOS that already runs in my machine is not good enough for it.

As for the EFI partition: I was prompt to create this by the OS's installer. I wouldn't make it otherwise. It came along with the 20.1 iso image for some unknown to me reason.

I don't really understand why linux distros developers feel obliged to include this when most of the pcs come with a perfectly working BIOS that in most cases you set itup once and you never bother with it again.
New pcs do not come with a BIOS, "perfectly working" or otherwise. That is why Linux distros are working with UEFI. So whether you want to learn something new or not, something new is already here and implemented on your new pc.

As mentioned in the link I provided for you earlier in the thread, UEFI is not BIOS and new computers no longer have BIOSes.

Some computers will have a UEFI mode called "Legacy BIOS" which attempts to emulate a BIOS, but it is not really a BIOS. Mint works with both old and new computers, so it has to work with BIOS and UEFI.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

marlene wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:06 amI don't know whose invention is UEFI and to tell you the truth I don't really care. Why should I have to relearn how to operate my machine just because someone had the idea after 40 years that the BIOS that already runs in my machine is not good enough for it.

As for the EFI partition: I was prompt to create this by the OS's installer. I wouldn't make it otherwise. It came along with the 20.1 iso image for some unknown to me reason. I don't really understand why linux distros developers feel obliged to include this when most of the pcs come with a perfectly working BIOS that in most cases you set itup once and you never bother with it again.
You are totally not understanding this. You do not have to "relearn how to operate your machine". You bought a new machine which is different from the old machine. The change is due to the hardware and nothing to do with the OS. Older machines had plain BIOS while newer machines come with EFI. LM will work on both, legacy BIOS and EFI machines. I have installed LM on both types.

And, no, most if not all the machines that ship today use EFI and not legacy BIOS although many will allow the use of legacy BIOS.

Don't blame Linux. If you feel you absolutely must find someone to blame then, around here, Microsoft is a good bet.

I guess it is human nature to find some consolation in pinpointing the blame on someone but it is useless and futile. I remember, after some deadly airplane accident to the max, a reporter was interviewing some airline pilot and the reporter was very insistent on determining who was to blame. It seemed like the most important thing was to find who was guilty and responsible and the expert said something to the effect that there will be an investigation and the causes will be determined with the purpose of enhancing safety but investigations done with the purpose of assigning blame and responsibility do not increase air safety which is the primary purpose. And I think he was right in the sense that if people being interviewed are afraid they might become scapegoats they will not be totally helpful with the investigation.

Leon Degrelle was a German officer and in the last days of the war, when everything was lost, he was trying to escape towards Denmark and he met with Himmler who was very pessimistic and was putting blame on some people and looking for more to blame. Degrelle said
"When the situation becomes dire, fools look for someone to blame but the intelligent look for a solution. I am not a fool.
He was 39 years old at the time. He commandeered a Heinkel airplane and, with others, flew over occupied Europe and ran out of fuel just as they arrived in the northern coast of Spain where they crash landed. He suffered serious injuries but lived to age 87 doing business in real estate.

I think it is a good philosophy in life, when you encounter a problem to search for a solution and not for someone to blame.

I agree that EFI is a pain but it's not going away any time soon so it is best to learn to live with it.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
marlene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marlene »

SMG wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:04 am
[...]

Some computers will have a UEFI mode called "Legacy BIOS" which attempts to emulate a BIOS, but it is not really a BIOS. Mint works with both old and new computers, so it has to work with BIOS and UEFI.

My new computer has a BIOS and if it lasts half long the previous one did, then I foresee me bothering with the UEFI thing in 2031! The other computer lasted almost years and it could still run LM19 with 1,5 gb RAM while its hardware was the upgrade of the upgrade of some other upgrade. I replaced it because the motherboard was about to die after all these years and because I couldn't find the appropriate memory boards to upgrade its RAM.

As I mentioned previously I don't have that high demands from my computer. I use it for the most basic of tasks so purchasing this particular new one was an upgrade from another interstellar dimention! :lol:

Anyway... I'm thinking to install a rolling distro on the SSD disk. A Debian Sid of something similar.
marlene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marlene »

GS3 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:30 am

You are totally not understanding this. You do not have to "relearn how to operate your machine". You bought a new machine which is different from the old machine. The change is due to the hardware and nothing to do with the OS. Older machines had plain BIOS while newer machines come with EFI. LM will work on both, legacy BIOS and EFI machines. I have installed LM on both types.

And, no, most if not all the machines that ship today use EFI and not legacy BIOS although many will allow the use of legacy BIOS.

Don't blame Linux. If you feel you absolutely must find someone to blame then, around here, Microsoft is a good bet.

I guess it is human nature to find some consolation in pinpointing the blame on someone but it is useless and futile. I remember, after some deadly airplane accident to the max, a reporter was interviewing some airline pilot and the reporter was very insistent on determining who was to blame. It seemed like the most important thing was to find who was guilty and responsible and the expert said something to the effect that there will be an investigation and the causes will be determined with the purpose of enhancing safety but investigations done with the purpose of assigning blame and responsibility do not increase air safety which is the primary purpose. And I think he was right in the sense that if people being interviewed are afraid they might become scapegoats they will not be totally helpful with the investigation.

Leon Degrelle was a German officer and in the last days of the war, when everything was lost, he was trying to escape towards Denmark and he met with Himmler who was very pessimistic and was putting blame on some people and looking for more to blame. Degrelle said
"When the situation becomes dire, fools look for someone to blame but the intelligent look for a solution. I am not a fool.
He was 39 years old at the time. He commandeered a Heinkel airplane and, with others, flew over occupied Europe and ran out of fuel just as they arrived in the northern coast of Spain where they crash landed. He suffered serious injuries but lived to age 87 doing business in real estate.

I think it is a good philosophy in life, when you encounter a problem to search for a solution and not for someone to blame.

I agree that EFI is a pain but it's not going away any time soon so it is best to learn to live with it.
I see nothing wrong on being a fool. This world is sooo full of geniouses! We need some fools just for the sake of diversity.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

marlene wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:46 amMy new computer has a BIOS
The Ubiquity installer, which Mint and Ubuntu use, does NOT ask a computer with a BIOS to install an EFI partition. It only has that step for computers which are UEFI. You told us you were asked to create that partition during installation which means your computer's firmware is UEFI. You also had trouble booting your legacy boot LM19 install with the EFI LM20 install attached. Both of those events indicate your computer has UEFI.

Because UEFI confuses many people who have only used BIOS in the past, many manufacturers refer to the UEFI firmware as BIOS, but it is not a BIOS.

I will now leave you to your delusions. Enjoy your newer computer with your LM19 Legacy BIOS mode install.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

marlene wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:12 am Let's start with the UEFI. I usually make manual installations so I create different partitions for the system, for the swap and for my home folder. This time during the installation to the brand new SSD disk, I was asked to create an EFI partition, which I made.

This had as a consequence to not be able to set the boot priority from the bios as this EFI thing seemed to overwrite the BIOS settings!
The EFI desided that the SSD disk was its favourite one and that was it. I couldn't boot from the USB ports ( my new pc has both USB2 and USB3 ports) it couldn't boot from the SATA disk even though the GRUB was properly installed and it didn't allow me to change a thing on the bios not even on the EFI thing because it had probably set some rules that overwritten those of the BIOS leaving me with a big WHY on regard of the purpose of this thing.
You would really benefit from learning and understanding how UEFI works because you are just confused.

The EFI boot table is kept in NVRAM on the mobo, not on the EFI partition on any disk, and can be configured and edited by you, the user. I already gave you a link to linuxbabe where you can learn how to inspect and edit your EFI table..

There are many threads here where others, me included, have had to deal with EFI problems.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=328236
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=342159
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=342928
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=343471
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=344760
marlene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marlene »

SMG wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:24 am
marlene wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:46 amMy new computer has a BIOS
The Ubiquity installer, which Mint and Ubuntu use, does NOT ask a computer with a BIOS to install an EFI partition. It only has that step for computers which are UEFI. You told us you were asked to create that partition during installation which means your computer's firmware is UEFI. You also had trouble booting your legacy boot LM19 install with the EFI LM20 install attached. Both of those events indicate your computer has UEFI.

Because UEFI confuses many people who have only used BIOS in the past, many manufacturers refer to the UEFI firmware as BIOS, but it is not a BIOS.

I will now leave you to your delusions. Enjoy your newer computer with your LM19 Legacy BIOS mode install.
Really?
I can't tell the difference. It has tabs it has one that says BIOS I set up this one and booted in normally. The problems started after I installed the OS.

Whatever is that thing that this pc has,it became obvious that the settings of the EFI conflicted with the settings of the other thing that said BIOS.
Is there any chance to have both of them?

Whatever is the case by the time that this pc works so well now I don't really mind.
I strongly believe that if something works, it is wise not to mess up with it. :)

Delusions are also a good thing. If you overdosing of reality you might lose your mind. It is not good for our mental health...generally speaking always.
marlene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marlene »

GS3 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:18 pm
marlene wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:12 am Let's start with the UEFI. I usually make manual installations so I create different partitions for the system, for the swap and for my home folder. This time during the installation to the brand new SSD disk, I was asked to create an EFI partition, which I made.

This had as a consequence to not be able to set the boot priority from the bios as this EFI thing seemed to overwrite the BIOS settings!
The EFI desided that the SSD disk was its favourite one and that was it. I couldn't boot from the USB ports ( my new pc has both USB2 and USB3 ports) it couldn't boot from the SATA disk even though the GRUB was properly installed and it didn't allow me to change a thing on the bios not even on the EFI thing because it had probably set some rules that overwritten those of the BIOS leaving me with a big WHY on regard of the purpose of this thing.
You would really benefit from learning and understanding how UEFI works because you are just confused.

The EFI boot table is kept in NVRAM on the mobo, not on the EFI partition on any disk, and can be configured and edited by you, the user. I already gave you a link to linuxbabe where you can learn how to inspect and edit your EFI table..

There are many threads here where others, me included, have had to deal with EFI problems.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=328236
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=342159
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=342928
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=343471
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=344760
OK thanks. I'll check them out because I'm thinking to install a Debian Sid on the SSD disk. I don't see the point to have the same distro on both disks so I will install a rolling distribution but I'll have to have to check out first what is available. :)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

marlene wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:38 pmReally?
I can't tell the difference. It has tabs it has one that says BIOS I set up this one and booted in normally. The problems started after I installed the OS.

Whatever is that thing that this pc has,it became obvious that the settings of the EFI conflicted with the settings of the other thing that said BIOS.
No, there would not be both because then you would have two captains to your computer ship. The hardware would not know which one is giving the "correct" instructions.

I believe you that you have a tab that says BIOS. I just saw a screenshot today that had BIOS EFI at the top. From the link I provided earlier in the thread What Is UEFI, and How Is It Different from BIOS?

"We’ve seen newer PCs that ship with UEFI still refer to it as the “BIOS” to avoid confusing people who are used to a traditional PC BIOS. Even if your PC uses the term “BIOS”, modern PCs you buy today almost certainly ship with UEFI firmware instead of a BIOS."

That article also indicated, "Most UEFI implementations provide BIOS emulation so you can choose to install and boot old operating systems that expect a BIOS instead of UEFI, so they’re backwards compatible."

That means the UEFI is backwards compatible, but the firmware is still UEFI even if it is emulating a BIOS.
marlene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marlene »

SMG wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:37 pm
marlene wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:38 pmReally?

No, there would not be both because then you would have two captains to your computer ship. The hardware would not know which one is giving the "correct" instructions.

I believe you that you have a tab that says BIOS. I just saw a screenshot today that had BIOS EFI at the top. From the link I provided earlier in the thread What Is UEFI, and How Is It Different from BIOS?

"We’ve seen newer PCs that ship with UEFI still refer to it as the “BIOS” to avoid confusing people who are used to a traditional PC BIOS. Even if your PC uses the term “BIOS”, modern PCs you buy today almost certainly ship with UEFI firmware instead of a BIOS."

That article also indicated, "Most UEFI implementations provide BIOS emulation so you can choose to install and boot old operating systems that expect a BIOS instead of UEFI, so they’re backwards compatible."

That means the UEFI is backwards compatible, but the firmware is still UEFI even if it is emulating a BIOS.

Ok lets say that it has an UEFI that is masked as a BIOS in order not to confuse the poor users ( ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa that is really funny).
But this didn't prevent me from making a normal installation on my hard disc.

Now can you explain to me why I couldn't install another browser, why the players had awful sound, why MATE was misbihaving and VLC tray icon stayed on the pannel even after I had uninstalled the player along with the configuration files?

Don't tell me please that for all these issues was responsible the UEFI because that was rensponsible only about the fact that I couldn't boot from the other disk, not for the mess that was in the OS it self.

You focused on the UEFI matter and you left completely out the other problems that occured and were those that made me to want to boot from the other disk with the old ( legacy lol ) installation.
If the Ulyssa worked normally I wouldn't bother to boot from the other disk because I was able ( as I am now) to access the contents of the other disk.

So how do you explain the problems that occured on Ulyssa with the GUI the sound , the applications etc?

The Ulyssa was downloaded via torrent I checked it and I burned it on my usb stick with unetbootin. It was installed on a brand new disk that was formated in ext4 divided in three partitions ( four with the EFI one).

Can you explain to me why it didn't want to work?? :)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

marlene wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:56 pmNow can you explain to me why I couldn't install another browser, why the players had awful sound, why MATE was misbihaving and VLC tray icon stayed on the pannel even after I had uninstalled the player along with the configuration files?
You have provided ZERO information about your hardware and how Mint saw your hardware. You are not only expecting to me guess what hardware you have and how Mint saw your hardware, but also to guess what specific issues you were having. "Didn't want to work," is not a problem description because that means different things to different people.

Section 5 of READ: How To Get Help! explains the data we need to be able to provide help to those posting on the forum.
marlene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marlene »

SMG wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:12 pm . You are not only expecting to me guess what hardware you have and how Mint saw your hardware, but also to guess what specific issues you were having. "Didn't want to work," is not a problem description because that means different things to different people.

Section 5 of READ: How To Get Help! explains the data we need to be able to provide help to those posting on the forum.

CPU AMD RYZEN 3 2200G
Motherborard Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2
RAM HYPERX 8GB 3200MHZ DDR4
Disk SSD WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN M.2 465/545 250 GB
SCREEN BENQ LED MONITOR 23.8" GW2475H
POWER SUPPLY CORSAIR CV450 450W 80+ BRONZE
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

CPU AMD RYZEN 3 2200G
Motherborard Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2
RAM HYPERX 8GB 3200MHZ DDR4
Disk SSD WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN M.2 465/545 250 GB
SCREEN BENQ LED MONITOR 23.8" GW2475H
POWER SUPPLY CORSAIR CV450 450W 80+ BRONZE
[5] Details! Details! Details!
Include the version and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit) of Linux Mint.
List any relevant hardware or software specifications. 'inxi' is a useful terminal command for listing this. Use inxi -h for help. Generally it suffices to type the following in terminal and include the output in your post -> inxi -Fxxxrz
List what Display Environment you are using if relevant (Cinnamon, KDE, XFCE, MATE, etc).
If you have output errors, list them in their entirety.
When posting output of commands use the "Code" tags if it is more than 2 or 3 lines long - this makes it more readable. The button that inserts these tags is marked </>
If your Linux Mint installation isn't in English, prefix any commands that you want to share output of with LC_ALL=C. That forces output to be English. For example instead of running the command "make", you'd run the command "LC_ALL=C make".
I know you know better than that marlene...You know the drill, you have been a forum member since 2007...thats 14 years now...System Specs are what is needed here in order for SMG to continue to be of help...copy and paste the code below into your terminal and copy and paste back the results...efcharistó, efcharistó polý...DAMIEN

System Specs.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I don't think marlene was really here for the hunting, rather this thread was just intended to be a rant.

If she really wants to resolve any problems she is having with the install I would suggest to leave the ranting here and start a thread in the newbie section explaining exactly and precisely what she is trying to do. I just do not see this thread resolving much in a practical sense.
marlene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marlene »

GS3 got me. I'm not here in order to find information on how to install Ulyssa because I have already installled it, it didn't work and I had to uninstalled it.

I currently use the SSD disk for backups but I don't intend to install LM20.1 either way as that would be now a redudancy. I mean to have two different releases of the same distribution on the same machine.
I'll go for a rolling release that will probably be a debian, ( so if something goes wrong I'll go to rant on their forum. So nothing to worry here :lol: )

These are my system's specs as you can see them with the LM19 installation that works perfectly fine. They seem to me more than enough to run LM20.1.

Thank you all for your contribution and for reading my ( delustional and foolish ) rant. :)

$ inxi -Fxxxrz
System: Host: Kernel: 4.15.0-140-generic x86_64
bits: 64 gcc: 7.5.0
Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu4) info: mate-panel dm: lightdm
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine: Device: desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: B450M DS3H V2 v: x.x serial: N/A
UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: F1 date: 08/17/2020
CPU: Quad core AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics (-MCP-)
arch: Zen rev.0 cache: 2048 KB

flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 27948
clock speeds: min/max: 1600/3500 MHz 1: 1570 MHz 2: 1419 MHz
3: 1419 MHz 4: 1420 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series]
bus-ID: 06:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:15dd
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,radeon)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.23.0, 4.15.0-140-generic, LLVM 10.0.0)
version: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.8 Direct Render: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 15e3
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 06:00.6 chip-ID: 1022:15e3
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 15de
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 06:00.1 chip-ID: 1002:15de
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-140-generic
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: f000
bus-ID: 04:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1240.3GB (34.2% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD10PURX size: 1000.2GB serial: <filter>
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WDS240G2G0B size: 240.1GB
serial: <filter>
Partition: ID-1: / size: 19G used: 13G (71%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: /home size: 895G used: 380G (45%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.09GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID: System: supported: N/A
No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Unused Devices: none
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 16.8C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com tara main upstream import backport
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ bionic partner
Info: Processes: 221 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 910.1/5969.2MB
Init: systemd v: 237 runlevel: 5 default: 2 Gcc sys: 7.5.0 alt: 5
Client: Shell (bash 4.4.201 running in mate-terminal) inxi: 2.3.56

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”