Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
sagasha1
Level 1
Level 1

Using Linuxmint 8 RC1

Post by sagasha1 »

I just installed Linuxmint 8. I see it has the same "Disk is Failing" notification as Ubuntu 9.10 has. I read that the person who developed the program insist there is not a problem but I think there is. If I install Mint 7, I have no notice (or Opensuse), I simply remove "Disk Notification" from "Start up Applications" to stop notifications. The other problem I had is that the Mint Menu was incomplete after my install. I removed it from the panel and added it back and all was fine. Other than that it seem great. Good Job!
Last edited by sagasha1 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mick55
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Using Linuxmint 8 RC1

Post by mick55 »

Where did you get Mint 8 RC1?
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
mick55
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mick55 »

Thanks vrkalak :D
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)
awong
Level 2
Level 2

Post by awong »

Nice early find! :wink:
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

-o0o-
  • any chance of posting screen shots as i am unable to download and install until i fly back home on the 25th nov.
  • does the performance of the OS (LM8) feel like ubuntu 9.10? i know they are both the same, just that 9.10 felt bloated and abit sluggish for me....
  • i feel that linux is no longer designed to run snappy for older machines (ubuntu im speaking of) as its become bloated and really designed for faster pc these days....
  • Thanks in advance for the early find though
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG SSD 4GB laptop ~ MX-Linux & Plasma - LMDE4 - Kubuntu 20.04 - Win 10 LTSC De-bloated
Image Image
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

The LinuxMint-8 Helena that is out to the mirrors, is the RC1 (Release Candidate) and not the final approved version of Helena.

RC = testing

The Final Release of LinuxMint-8 should be out in a couple of weeks.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

This is not officially released yet. Exploder can still disapprove it. Until then what you're currently downloading is officially Linux Mint 8 DEV 037, and not officially Linux Mint 8 RC1 yet.

If you're downloading ISOs before they get release, make sure to check the md5 matches after the official announcements and releases are made, just in case we changed the ISO on the mirrors in the meantime.

Either way, have a lot of fun but make sure you know what you're downloading ;)

Clem.
Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi,

Well, today i am home for meal time.

Intel core 2
Nvidia graphics card 8 series gs
chipset - Intel
monitor 19" wide screen for this computer

Downloaded and installed this Mint 8 RC1 "Helena" on the hard drive. - ext4
No problem found during the process of installation and i didn't have any notification
about my HD - OK. - NVidia drive (185) installed - system starting/reboot/shutdown
are ok and very quick. All updates were done. Kernel 2.6.31-14 generic
I am running Mint8 RC1 now. :)

Now we may need to play with this RC1(or another RC) to know how things work under the hood
apps, system, mint tools, etc.

Some personal observations and ideas:

a) Initialisation - the Mint logo could be within a frame with a colored background
and have an animation. (any)

b)The grub fonts (letters) are awful, a little grotesque and i think it should be improved

c) Gdm and login icon in soft grey? No good! (Poor). They need a colored background.

d) _ The Default Wallpaper:

Very professional, well done and good looking but:

I can't find a reasonable balance between contrast and brightness for my monitor.

The small piece (slice) of green curved on the low right corner could have a green
a little darker, smaller and a bit opaque. A rarther intense light from top to botton on the desktop
should be mitigated. This default wallpaper is too much glare for me but saying it again
the Wallppaper is very beautiful. I am oly talking about some adjustments.

Cheers
Roberto
snuff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snuff »

After not been able to get Mint 7 to boot i have just installed mint 8RC1 so this is my first go with mint and wow its nice - used unetbootin in windows to load a live version onto a 2gb USB drive then installed to my laptop harddrive from the deskop instillation icon in mint this was really easy and quick. Every thing seems to be going ok so far, only minor gripes is the wireless (broadcom43?) driver wasn't included, so i connected my mobile phone and easily set up a 3g connection to download the driver :D also flash can be a bit flickery http://www.speedtest.net and for some reason http://www.livestream.com/ doesn't work :?
I don't know if it just because its something new but already i like it more than Vista, loads of applications installed and even detected my £1 bluetooth dongle. I did try ubuntu 9.10 but this looks, feels and works so much better, can also play my music and media files and watch you tube right out of the box.

great stuff, thanks guys. :)
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

I just started using 8RC1 today.

There are a couple of issues as far as I am concerned on my computer and one major issue on my wifes machine.

grub.cfg on a read only partition? Linux is about choice yes? So if I choose first to remove the errors automatically programmed into grub.cfg (duplication mostly) and if I choose to reduce the timeout value to less than 10 secs, then how do I 'choose' to do that on a read only partition. Answer of course is that I make it readable first, but most folks will not have that knowledge on a 'beginner' distro. Of course there is always a conflict between making things easy and making them 'safe' but I think read only partitions for configuration files is a step too far. And btw I have read the warning at the head of grub.cfg about manual edits - if it is that serious then it needs another way to edit it apart from the config file (maybe there is one but I can't find it).

Secondly what on earth have you replaced gparted with - you cannot be serious!!

And now to the real issue. On my wifes machine Mint will not only not install, it won't even run from the live CD. This has been the case since version 6 and is also the case with Ubuntu. Mandriva installs, Suse installs, Sidux installs, Pclinux installs, but never Mint. The difference? well Ubiquity is the only one I can think of. Instead of wasting time thinking up replacements for things that work perfectly (gparted eg.) why not think up a replacement for things that don't hardly work at all? I have had endless problems with Ubiquity failing to install grub on partitions above 10 (this time I moved my mint partition below 10 to save me the hassle of writing everything by hand) and I have never seen it install properly to my wifes machine.

The symptoms are that it spent 35 minutes trying to load /casper/vmlinuz before I gave up waiting and cancelled. Please don't blame the cd. because Sidux, Mandriva and Pclinux were all burned using the same type of disc at the same speed on the same burner and they all work.

Her machine is an Evesham Voyager C530RD, Intel T7200, 2GB DDR ram, ati x1600 radeon graphics card, Sony DW-Q520A DVD writer and is 3 years old - it should work - and it does with most other distros.

Still, that aside, for me it is a good little distro and will certainly remain my number 1 choice (though obviously not for my wife!). But tbh I can't see any noticeable improvements on Mint 7 yet, it is certainly no worse, but neither is it much better either, just about the same. Trouble is that Mint7 was so good it is pretty hard to improve on.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

Return to “About Mint Editions”