Hard to create your own distro from Mint?

Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Welsh Mullet
Level 1
Level 1

Hard to create your own distro from Mint?

Post by Welsh Mullet » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:31 pm

I was wondering how hard it is to change the features of mint (All of them)
As i was considering creating my own distro, and basing it on Mint as it seems to be closest to what i want to achieve.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Hard to create your own distro from Mint?

Post by exploder » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:13 am

With Remastersys, your own artwork and your customizations it probably would not be too difficult. Many remaster Ubuntu and since Mint uses the same base with a little patience and work you could do it.

Welsh Mullet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Welsh Mullet » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Could i post any progress on this site for help etc.
Or would that make it related to mint, thus breaking the rules?
Is there a site for linux os development, where i could post ideas and get help?

Welsh Mullet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Welsh Mullet » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:54 pm

I'm thinking of the name SkyeBox OS, if it's not already taken. If it is, then maybe Outcast OS.

One more question, Is it easy to install KDE and remove gnome?

Britfag
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Britfag » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:31 am

I believe that there is a rule about this; you are free to make your own derivative, as long as you remove any Mint logos, artwork, etc.
I also believe, someone may correct me if I'm wrong, that you can post about it on here, provided the first rule is heeded.

JelleV
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JelleV » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:48 pm

It only makes sense you use other Logo's then Mint does, for one I bet they are copyrighted to Linux Mint so yes it would be illegal. Second you don't want people to think they are running Mint when they are not :) Problem with remastersys is you probably end up making a Linux Mint disc instead of your own, remastersys 'remasters' it doesn't create a new distributions. If your serious about this you should use Debootstrap and add the Mint Repository (while using Ubuntu as a base) this way you start from scratch and if you don't install any artwork packages there will be NO Mint logos. Anyways, I got a few scripts that create a debootstrap with ease and chroots into it so you only need to type synaptic in the terminal you end up with and install the packages you want. If you didn't package your own art-work its even possible to run any configuration program inside the chroot and configure the Distributions that way :) Goodluck.

Minterbation
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Minterbation » Fri May 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Similar question:

Is there a way to create/burn a Mint install CD that will include all packages you have added and have them installed automatically during the Mint install? Also, if possible, could it be made to include any changes you have made in the terminal or settings in certain programs?

It would basically be a restore disc, minus any personal files you have added. If there is a program for creating a restore CD that reimages the whole HD that would work but it may take several discs depending on the personal files (music, videos) so it would be good if it could be set to ignore certain directories.
I think I'm suppose to find something cool to write here but I don't feel like it.

Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker » Fri May 14, 2010 9:33 pm

Hijacking an existing thread isn't really kosher, and one should start their own thread regardless if the question is similar or not. (And in this case, it's totally different.)

To answer your question, you would want to create a disk image, rather than something that works with the installer. However, you could archive your system (tar.gz), write it to DVDs, and then if you needed to restore your system, just reinstall, then untar your archive back to the hard drive.
Linux User #384279

Minterbation
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Minterbation » Fri May 14, 2010 9:37 pm

Biker wrote:Hijacking an existing thread isn't really kosher, and one should start their own thread regardless if the question is similar or not. (And in this case, it's totally different.)

To answer your question, yes, there are disk imaging programs that work with Linux. Clonezilla is but one of many that can do this.

OK, Sorry but it seemed to me like the only difference between our questions was that he wants to distribute his and I don't. We are both looking for the same means, just using it to a different end. Thanks for the suggestion for Clonezilla though, I'll check it out.
I think I'm suppose to find something cool to write here but I don't feel like it.

Minterbation
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Minterbation » Wed May 19, 2010 6:46 pm

Welsh Mullet wrote:I was wondering how hard it is to change the features of mint (All of them)
As i was considering creating my own distro, and basing it on Mint as it seems to be closest to what i want to achieve.

I just created a LiveCD of my current Mint 8 install with all the packages that I added using this tutorial:

http://maketecheasier.com/backup-ubuntu ... 2008/12/22

I read in one forum that someone had warned about clearing your private data before creating the LiveCD for distributing. They said they their email would log in automatically from cookies on the LiveCD! Cool if you just want it for yourself but not if you are distributing it. I don't know if there is an option to leave that out or if it was a bug that was fixed but when I ran the LiveCD I didn't see anything like that.

Return to “About Mint Editions”