Page 1 of 1

I Love Helena

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:21 pm
by ScottishGirl
Hi Guys :)

I have being running Helena for the last month, and I have got to say that I am really delighted with Helena. I had problems installing and updating Gloria but Helena is really great, I have absolutely no complaints. I love that with Linux Mint libdvdcss is automatically installed, unlike Ubuntu and Mandriva/Fedora/OpenSuse where you have to hunt down and manually install libdvdcss.
In my opinion Linux Mint is the best Linux distro available, and that includes the rpm distros. I want to thank everyone involved with Mint, you all have produced a really great and aesthetically pleasing distro.

Stephanie

:D

Re: I Love Helena

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:27 am
by richyrich
Image

. . . ditto . . . richy . . . Image

Re: I Love Helena

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:59 pm
by Craig
Yeah, it's a brilliant release for sure. I have tried many live CD's of other distributions and nothing comes close to Linux Mint in terms of usability,ease of use,stability and performance with older computers. (Linux Mint 8 Gnome)

And with the latest innovation from the Mint team of the community website that allows you to submit ideas and even your hardware information at your own convenience.

It's sure going to go that next step further in making it even better in terms of compatibility and support. :)

Re: I Love Helena

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:00 pm
by vrkalak
Welcome to LinuxMint!!

Glad to got that "out of the box" experience that Mint is famous for. :P

Re: I Love Helena

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:04 pm
by bobcollard
Craig wrote:Yeah, it's a brilliant release for sure. I have tried many live CD's of other distributions and nothing comes close to Linux Mint in terms of usability,ease of use,stability and performance with older computers. (Linux Mint 8 Gnome)

And with the latest innovation from the Mint team of the community website that allows you to submit ideas and even your hardware information at your own convenience.

It's sure going to go that next step further in making it even better in terms of compatibility and support. :)
I'd just like to add you don't have to have an older computer to appreciate the fine craftsmanship these people put into their product. Things just work in Linux Mint and if it don't, this great Forum will help you find solutions.

Re: I Love Helena

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:25 pm
by Craig
bobcollard wrote:
Craig wrote:Yeah, it's a brilliant release for sure. I have tried many live CD's of other distributions and nothing comes close to Linux Mint in terms of usability,ease of use,stability and performance with older computers. (Linux Mint 8 Gnome)

And with the latest innovation from the Mint team of the community website that allows you to submit ideas and even your hardware information at your own convenience.

It's sure going to go that next step further in making it even better in terms of compatibility and support. :)
I'd just like to add you don't have to have an older computer to appreciate the fine craftsmanship these people put into their product. Things just work in Linux Mint and if it don't, this great Forum will help you find solutions.
I know that, I'm not disputing that either, if you look around the forum at some of my posts you will see that is the general impression I give as well. I was just in general making it aware at how great it works for me (from my viewpoint) with older computers as well when others do not support necessarily as well as Linux Mint. And like I said before, I can see it only getting better.

There is no doubt, how much effort goes into this distribution to make it as good as it can really get. :)

Re: I Love Helena

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:33 pm
by Anthrogue
May I ask a really stupid question? If I'm in Linux Mint 7 is there an "upgrade path" to Helena?

...or is it an completely fresh installation?

Re: I Love Helena

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:46 pm
by bobcollard
Anthrogue wrote:May I ask a really stupid question? If I'm in Linux Mint 7 is there an "upgrade path" to Helena?

...or is it an completely fresh installation?
There are no stupid questions. However, you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble by doing a search for the very subject you are asking. Do a search for upgrading Mint 7 to 8, You may not like the answers. In conclusion, it is not advisable, but, it can be done.

Re: I Love Helena

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:17 am
by Aevum
Update Manage > Upgrade

But as it has been told already, it's not advisable
And of course, we do all love Mint Helena :P

Re: I Love Helena

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:50 am
by Anthrogue
I just did a search... for "upgrading Mint 7 to 8" and this thread comes up number 2. The first is meaningless blather, which like this one, doesn't answer the question. So now another search result that references the issue but does not answer................. at least not directly.

I suppose by "not recommended" that rather than upgrade, one does a completely fresh install every time a new version comes out. That sounds rather hideous, but again.. maybe I'm missing something (since, lamentable n00b that I am, I'm still hostage to a Windows mentality)

Re: I Love Helena

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:09 pm
by bobcollard
Anthrogue wrote:I just did a search... for "upgrading Mint 7 to 8" and this thread comes up number 2. The first is meaningless blather, which like this one, doesn't answer the question. So now another search result that references the issue but does not answer................. at least not directly.

I suppose by "not recommended" that rather than upgrade, one does a completely fresh install every time a new version comes out. That sounds rather hideous, but again.. maybe I'm missing something (since, lamentable n00b that I am, I'm still hostage to a Windows mentality)
Not missing something, so much, as not looking far enough. But, that's understandable. There are changes in programs that are not available in the older versions. There is always a new set of dependencies to deal with, changes in the way files are handled and it goes on and on. I'm not a Tech, just a user like you, and I learned the hard way. Back up your home folder, the visible files, not the hidden ones. Then do a full install of the newer version. That's the best advice you will get.

Re: I Love Helena

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:47 pm
by BigBug
I am using it for 2 weeks now and i love it, too! :-)

Re: I Love Helena

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:47 am
by normanp
My first time with Mint - 8 is really superb!
I'm particularly pleased that I can share folders without further installs (the computer has no Internet connection).
For the future please ensure that sharing stays this easy :D

Re: I Love Helena

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:43 pm
by capt
I agree also that Mint-8 is superb! The install is fast and simple and detected the correct video resolutions on every install so far. This has been a big problem on other distro's. Keep up the good work! :D
capt

Re: I Love Helena

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:20 am
by Breakintheclouds
Hello everybody.

I've just installed Mint (Gnome edition) after using Kubuntu for the past year or two, and I have to say that I'm very impressed. Everything just works so much better! Well done to everybody involved - you've got yet another convert.

Re: I Love Helena

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:48 am
by spiffin
Likewise, I've tried many distros but Helena gnome is the quickest and cleanest. Opera and Chrome browsers are a bit grotty, but Firefox is fast and clean so I'll stick with it. :)

Re: I Love Helena

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:08 am
by rodney
I Love Helena
So do I , I'm using the 64bit Helena and it's amazing !