Fix low refresh rate for some popular graphics cards

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Fix low refresh rate for some popular graphics cards

Post by Husse »

I've got a nvidia 6600GT (256 MB). This rather popular card not only needs the vesa driver on the live CD. (Safe graphics mode) but also has low vertical refresh with a LCD monitor.
With Cassandra and Feisty I get a maximum of 55 Hz.
//Edited below//
This is with DVI and should be precisely 60Hz not about 55 Hz
On another computer Mint xfce, Bianca KDE, Debian, and also Feisty all give 75 Hz, while Bianca gnome gives 56 Hz, so there may be something with LCD monitors as well. The same monitor a Samsung Synmaster70BF 17 inch LCD is used but now VGA. (Has both VGA and a DVI connector - very handy if you use two computers - mouse + keyboard has KVM switch)
I don't know if something can be done, but something should be done....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

50 - 60 Hz are normal for LCD screens. Different than on CRT screens you shouldn't experience any flickering under normal circumstances.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Post above somewhat edited.
I don't experience flicker, but one of the more frequent members of the forum (is this correct english?) says he wants 75 (?) on LCD if I understood correctly.
And that besides, it is strange behaviour :)
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

this used to happen to me, i just had to generate a custom monitor section for xorg

1, apt-get install build-essential

2, download and follow these instructions http://john.fremlin.de/programs/linux/read-edid/

3, replace your mintor section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf with the generated custom one.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”