Mixing Linux Mint 8 Editions

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
afriza

Mixing Linux Mint 8 Editions

Post by afriza »

Hi,

I noticed during login there is an option to choose Desktop Environment. I am using the Main Edition and I have "Gnome" as the only option.

Is it possible to add other editions? FluxBox, KDE, etc.. ?

Afriza N. Arief
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobcollard

Re: Mixing Linux Mint 8 Editions

Post by bobcollard »

afriza wrote:Hi,

I noticed during login there is an option to choose Desktop Environment. I am using the Main Edition and I have "Gnome" as the only option.

Is it possible to add other editions? FluxBox, KDE, etc.. ?

Afriza N. Arief
Yes, you will find them in Synaptic Package Manager.
frsu

Post by frsu »

What happens with the Menu from the Gnome version if you add the KDE version with Synaptic? In Ubuntu you get a mix with Gnome and KDE programs. In Mint also?
Robin

Post by Robin »

frsu wrote:What happens with the Menu from the Gnome version if you add the KDE version with Synaptic? In Ubuntu you get a mix with Gnome and KDE programs. In Mint also?
If you have room on your HDD, you can install all the different desktops! You get all the standard applications that come with each one. The the applications are "better integrated" in their native environment. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I have noticed that K3B, for example, "fits better" and seems to run a little more responsively in a KDE session than it does in Gnome or Xfce, etc.

Once installed, you can log out of one and then log into another environment (it's called choosing a Session). And you can mix 'n' match applications across any session, too. But they are "integrated" with their native desktop environment. K3B in KDE, for example, Brasero in Gnome, Xfburn in Xfce, etc.

Have fun playing with them all,
Robin
frsu

Post by frsu »

I am not shure if you know what I mean. I do mean installing KDE via Synaptic in Mint Gnome, so I can choose the desktopversion via de sessionmanager. My question goes about the mix of menu items as result of the installation via Synaptic: In Ubuntu the Gnome menu is then mixed with KDE menu items. Does that happen in Mint also?

The other way is to install the KDE desktop environment beside the Gnome version and choose with the Grub. In that way you get a double or triple boot. I know how that works, but my question is about the first mentioned possibility: You boot, choose for Mint and then in the session manager choose for the Gnome or the KDE desktop. What do the menus look like in that situation?
Robin

Post by Robin »

Frsu,

You'll have all of the applications from all of the desktop environments in all of the menus! This will make for some pretty busy menus! To answer the question, yes - just like in Ubuntu, the menu choices will include everything you have installed - regardless of what session you're running.

Hope I helped,
Robin
frsu

Post by frsu »

Thanks! But now I can not find the KDE-desktop in Synaptic? :?:
Robin

Post by Robin »

frsu wrote:Thanks! But now I can not find the KDE-desktop in Synaptic? :?:
It's called kde-full.

Or use the terminal and type

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install kde-full
That gives you a KDE desktop alternative to Gnome or whichever DE you're using.

Still exploring,
Robin
frsu

Post by frsu »

Ok, will test it on my Media PC first. Now downloading..... :roll:

Edit: Installation finished, indeed KDE starts up from the sessionmanager. :D

But wireless does not work. Turn PC off only possible after logging off back to session manager. Maybe a restart will do the trick for these (minor) problems?
frsu

Post by frsu »

I think this will end in a reinstall of the new Mint version. This seems not to be a good idea. :(

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”