Ubuntu Music Store official - what about Isadora?

Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Ubuntu Music Store official - what about Isadora?

Post by remoulder » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:49 pm

So it seems the new Ubuntu Music Store is now an official product in partnership with 7Digital and will be included in Lucid by default as a plugin in Rhythmbox. This also implies Rhythmbox will remain the default music player in Lucid and not be replaced with Banshee as has been suggested. Plugins for Banshee and Amarok will be available and the store can be accessed via a web page also, though music purchased that way will not be automatically added to ones library. An Ubuntu One login account will be required to purchase music.

More details with screenshots at http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/03/ubun ... ng-to.html and the FAQ here.

So how is this going to be incorporated into Isadora? Given that the team decided to remove the Ubuntu One client from Helena, are they going to do the same in Isadora? Is the music store plugin going to be removed also given the direct relationship with Ubuntu rather than Mint and the requirement to have the Ubuntu One login? I'm sure many users would like to see this remain within Isadora but how then can this be made to appear a Mint feature rather than an Ubuntu one, is this even necessary?

Perhaps this indicates a bigger issue to come? If Ubuntu continues to add and include branded functionality in it's releases, how can Mint then be seen as a unique distro without stripping this branding out, which of course would leave Mint looking less well featured and consequently less attractive as an alternative?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Superewza
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Europe, Earth, ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Re: Ubuntu Music Store official - what about Isadora?

Post by Superewza » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:39 am

I don't think it is going to be incorporated into Isadora, just like Ubuntu One. We're really going to have to rethink our strategy if Ubuntu 10.04 offers a default interface that is, or looks to be, at least the equal of Shiki. They're having a complete overhaul which will not only bring more people from Windows, but probably null the advantage of 'elegance' that Mint has at the minute. And if they have advantages from third parties, such as One and the Music Store then what will Mint have? A better update manager, software manager and (perhaps) menu? All of which could be ported to Ubuntu anyway...

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:00 am

Superewza wrote:We're really going to have to rethink our strategy if Ubuntu 10.04 offers a default interface that is, or looks to be, at least the equal of Shiki.
Announced on Wed http://fridge.ubuntu.com/. Quite like it but not sure it's as good as Shiki?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Superewza
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Europe, Earth, ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Post by Superewza » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:44 am

I don't know... it looks good enough as it is but they'l undoubtedly polish it off. I like the 'urban' feel Shiki has but as the name suggests Ubuntu's new theme is based around 'light'. The whole point of Mint is to bring elegance to Ubuntu, but what happens if it gets it itself?

And yes, i know all about changing themes and programs etc. but most people are just after an OS that works, out of the box.

Return to “About Mint Editions”