Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
sportsbike
Level 1
Level 1

netbook remix

Post by sportsbike » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:24 pm

Do you think there will be a Netbook Remix edition of Mint. I use Mint 8 on my main pc, but i use Ubuntu Netbook Remix on my laptop because of the large interface. My eyesight is not great and the Netbook Remix is ideal for this

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: netbook remix

Post by Aging Technogeek » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:26 pm

check out this thread on netbook remix.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... nt#p242682
Registered Linux User 483387

sportsbike
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sportsbike » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:14 pm

Aging Technogeek wrote:check out this thread on netbook remix.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... nt#p242682
Thanks for the reply. I tried what the link suggests,steps 1-4 goes well but i dont understand what to do with the following line from the instructions

5. Remove the default task manager, and add the Windows Picker applet to the main bar.

I did restart the pc and the netbook interface did appear. Great i thought, but in order to close any opened programs i have to right click on the taskbar and click close. In other words the X in top right to close opened programs are not there. Any clues?

Thanks for you help
Sportsbike

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:19 pm

In the area of the panel where open windows are displayed, with no windows open, right click. A menu should drop down. Choose remove from panel. That gets rid of the task manager.

Now right click on an empty area of the panel and choose "Add to Panel" from the menu. Scroll down the list of applets until you find "Window Picker". Click on it to highlight it and click "Add". When a window is opened, the title bar and close icon (X) will now appear in the center of the panel instead of on the Window itself.

A small icon will appear to the left of Window Picker to indicate what app is in the window and any minimized windows.
Registered Linux User 483387

holastickboy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by holastickboy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:42 pm

Can I just say that I was amazed that my EeePC 701SD runs Linux Mint 8 (standard Gnome edition) really well! The machine is the slowest of slow netbooks out there (Intel Celeron 900mhz, 512MB RAM, 8 SSHD) but runs with absolutely no issues (even with compiz enabled).

Return to “About Mint Editions”