Post by mmesantos1 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:18 pm

Gnome for me, fits all my criteria. :D

Robin
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Which Desktop Version Do You Prefer? Vote Here

Post by Robin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:52 pm

Kendall wrote:
Robin wrote:I'll continue to revisit LXDE every so often.
Mint 8 LXDE RC1 is in the mirrors now. Please take a look and offer any feedback you have. Thanks.
I've ordered it from OSDisk.com because I've got that stupid satellite internet with it's severe bandwidth limit ("Fair Access Policy," they call it. But I'm really looking forward to its arrival, and I hope I can contribute something useful. Thanks so much for the hours of hard work it must have taken to create this!

Jay514
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jay514 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:59 pm

dawgdoc wrote:
You might want to add this to the OP for those just coming to the topic.
Good Idea, Will do. Thanks,
Jay514 8)
" Do Not Do Wrong Twice,That Which You Could Have Done Right The First Time"

Main = HP Pavilion DV4-1275mx - OS=Mint_CE x64KDE/LXDE,& x64Kubuntu

FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:32 am

Ah, my little Xfce is dominating!!! :lol:

Well...Of course it will never beat Gnome...But it is second right now! Even over KDE! How about that!

Not that I am into the DE/WM wars that always take place. People use what they like. But I know there are some full blown Xfce fans in this distro and I am glad to see this little DE not only holding its own but actually doing very well. I think the Mint Xfce CE is the most polished. In all fairness I have not tried the Lxde spin, which is also a very good DE. I imagine that it will also be catching on thanks to Kendall. I must also give props to the fluxbox edition, it does everything it is supposed to do and is also very smooth and polished. Most people, especially newer users, would find it just too spartan though so I can understand why fluxbox/openbox will never reach higher numbers. But they are awesome to use and I actually use Fluxbox in most of my personal computers, thought I claimed Xfce as my vote.

Go Xfce, Go Xfce...

Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:03 pm

@FedoraRefugee: Xfce is definitely more polished than LXDE, and I don't suspect that the gap will close at any point in the near future. Whereas Xfce seems to really concentrate on combining it's lightweight nature with a lot of well polished features, LXDE seems to skew the focus toward speed and generally care much less about the features.

Personally I tend to use what suits my immediate needs. For any type of development I invariably use Fluxbox, for general purpose computing I favor KDE, and for business type work I use Gnome. My test box (now that it's not being used for testing) has LXDE installed as I'm not going to force Fluxbox on my computer illiterate roommate.
Former Mint Fluxbox/LXDE and Peppermint OS guy.
Senior developer for Ringfree Communications Inc.
Avid trail and ultra runner.

FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:20 pm

Kendall wrote:@FedoraRefugee: Xfce is definitely more polished than LXDE, and I don't suspect that the gap will close at any point in the near future. Whereas Xfce seems to really concentrate on combining it's lightweight nature with a lot of well polished features, LXDE seems to skew the focus toward speed and generally care much less about the features.

Personally I tend to use what suits my immediate needs.
Ayup! Me too.
For any type of development I invariably use Fluxbox, for general purpose computing I favor KDE, and for business type work I use Gnome.
I use Fluxbox on my main desktop which functions primarily as a backup server. I also use it on my stand alone SOHO desktop and laptop. These are not networked due to security concerns (at least the desktop, which contains my records. I do go online every now and then with the business laptop.) Anyway, I am much more productive using Fluxbox on these computers and I do little media stuff or anything else here, just work. On my personal computers I use Xfce as it is a bit more "human."
My test box (now that it's not being used for testing) has LXDE installed as I'm not going to force Fluxbox on my computer illiterate roommate.
Lol, yeah! Fluxbox freaks my wife out too. :lol:

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:35 pm

I've never used any of those CE versions, just like I haven't used Xubuntu or Lubuntu or any of those Ubuntu spinoffs (besides Kubuntu, and I haven't done an installation of that since Dapper).

I just install the DE or WM if I want to use it.

Any advantages to using something like Mint Xfce CE or Mint Fluxbox CE instead of just installing Xfce or Fluxbox in Mint? I guess that question is for those who have done it both ways.

tower
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tower » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:48 pm

As XFCE is more established I would expect it to be ahead of LXDE (Xubuntu has been around for a while)

I have seen a number of implementations of LXDE (not Mint though) but the one that seemed to show it can match Gnome was Knoppix 6.1

Jay514
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jay514 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:16 pm

tower wrote: I have seen a number of implementations of LXDE (not Mint though) but the one that seemed to show it can match Gnome was Knoppix 6.1
I completely agree on the Knoppix 6.1 statement by Tower, LXDE does seem to be a powerful competitor, it should be even better in the near future with recent developments that are ongoing.
Jay514 :roll:

AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Post by AK Dave » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:44 pm

I prefer Gnome.

I used to be a KDE guy. I really would like to be a KDE guy again. KDE abandoned guys like me long ago, and I'm still not comfortable with the 4.x series of KDE while the 3.5x older KDE now compares poorly (in my mind) with the newer Gnome. So I'm a Gnome guy.

I tried to be an XFCE guy. But XFCE is built on the same libs as Gnome, and the packages I want to use rely on those libs, so I found little "edge" to using XFCE.

I tried to be an LXDE guy. But the packages I want to use rely on the libs that Gnome is built on. So once again, I found myself stripping features with little performance return. On the other hand, LXDE and Fluxbox might hold some potential for install on older hardware. I have a P4-2.4ghz box with only 512mb of DDR1 ram collecting dust in my garage as we speak. Perhaps Mint's LXDE or Fluxbox distros could bring it back to life, as Mint+Gnome on less than 1gb of ram is, well, uninspiring (but still better than Windows! *ba-dum-bum-crash*).

My favorite feature of Mint? The default R-click option on the Gnome desktop. Yeah, I know how easy that is to implement but I like it just being there. My fondest wish is that Clem will add Terminator to the stock Mint package list and use Terminator as the default terminal emulator, thus saving me about, oh, 15 secs of work every time I install Mint. :D

Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:59 am

MALsPa wrote:Any advantages to using something like Mint Xfce CE or Mint Fluxbox CE instead of just installing Xfce or Fluxbox in Mint? I guess that question is for those who have done it both ways.
Mint Fluxbox comes with a lighter app selection and all of the configuration taken care of. One of the biggest advantages is the menu system (mint-fm2) as it provides a well organized automatic updating menu that's also easily customizable. I guess what I'm saying is that each CE from Mint has been engineered to work with that particular environment and the configurations and app selections reflect that.
Former Mint Fluxbox/LXDE and Peppermint OS guy.
Senior developer for Ringfree Communications Inc.
Avid trail and ultra runner.

coman norbert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coman norbert » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:42 am

I use Mint 8 xfce RC and Mint 8 KDE, xfce for pure performance and in my opinion is more polished than fluxbox and lxde.
The KDE edition is more customizable than oder editions and looks fantastic (more stable than Kubuntu)
I hate gnome, pulseaudio is not a option for me! I use linux in musical studio work (im a jazz bass player and guitarist), and pulse latency make me to drop the main edition, and use xfce in my work and also pulse have serious problems in games like openarena, assaultcube, wesnoth.
Sorry for my english... Thanks.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:20 am

Kendall wrote:
MALsPa wrote:Any advantages to using something like Mint Xfce CE or Mint Fluxbox CE instead of just installing Xfce or Fluxbox in Mint? I guess that question is for those who have done it both ways.
Mint Fluxbox comes with a lighter app selection and all of the configuration taken care of. One of the biggest advantages is the menu system (mint-fm2) as it provides a well organized automatic updating menu that's also easily customizable. I guess what I'm saying is that each CE from Mint has been engineered to work with that particular environment and the configurations and app selections reflect that.
Thanks for the reply! Looks like another way that Linux gives you choices. Sounds like I'm just as well off simply adding the DE or WM myself instead of using the CE version. The configuration is half the fun! One thing I've noticed is that it gets easier each time you do it. My latest Xfce installation turned out better than last time; same with the last time I installed Openbox. Fluxbox is especially cool because if you save your notes, and save copies of things like your menu files, etc., it's usually really quick and easy to get it set up on another system. Maybe I've installed Fluxbox more often than others, but it seems like the easiest one for me to install and set up in a hurry.

I think that adding in my own DEs and WMs has helped me in a few ways.

While getting things set up, I've been forced to use the command line a bit more, which turned out to be a good thing.

Another thing, I started out as a KDE person. I didn't like GNOME. But I noticed that after installing and playing around with other DEs and WMs, I became a lot more comfortable in other environments. Now I like GNOME as much as I like KDE.

These days it doesn't matter much to me which DE or WM I'm using. I like to install different ones and have a choice of which one to log into on a particular day, just to have a different look sometimes. And I don't seem to really prefer one over any others, or to have any dislike of any particular DE or WM.

Still haven't voted in this poll, though! :lol:

Jay514
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jay514 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:19 pm

Actually I am surprised by the number of users of the Gnome Main Edition's. I did not think they would differ that much from the # of KDE_CE editions ? But so far it seems that Gnome has quite a lead.
Jay514 :shock: :?

mick55
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mick55 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:00 pm

If KDE was the Main Edition those statistics would be reversed.

Most people download whatever is the "Main" edition of a distro,
creating the perception that Gnome is more popular.

The other versions are at a disadvantage because they are seen as less well
supported because they are a "Community Edition".

Many users may be unaware they exist, or may think of
them as a toy for hobbyists.

Just my opinion :wink:
mick
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:29 pm

mick55 wrote:If KDE was the Main Edition those statistics would be reversed.

Most people download whatever is the "Main" edition of a distro,
creating the perception that Gnome is more popular.

The other versions are at a disadvantage because they are seen as less well
supported because they are a "Community Edition".

Many users may be unaware they exist, or may think of
them as a toy for hobbyists.
I completely agree with these observations. I've been hesitant to bother trying any of the Community Editions because I figure that the Main edition will always have the better support. To me, the main edition is the real thing.

tower
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tower » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:28 pm

Mint Gnome is the one on the coverdisks. it gets the most coverage. KUBUNTU is often refered to as the poor relation. So I guess Mint has to work hard to get KDE to rival Gnome

What is striking is that XFCE & LXDE are neck and neck!

Jay514
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jay514 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:10 pm

That is pretty cool, 8) LXDE is so new, I guess a lot of people are trying it out, I like LXDE, especially the speed that it offers, & the use of very little resources while in use.
I also like KDE because of the eye-candy, & it seems to preform well on my Laptops. If you have system & the resources to spare,it is a really good looking performer. Its mostly a matter of taste for me, rather than a ( have to install because of limitations ).

Craig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Craig » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:59 am

I used to be a fan of KDE 3.5, but for me personally, to many problems came about when it came to KDE 4 so now I use Gnome and I'm happy with it. A lot of people say things like it's a bit simplistic and to be honest I think that is what works well for it.

Sometimes when you try to implement and make real changes to the way anything functions in any software your taking a massive gamble and that gamble never paid off in my opinion. I'm sure there will be people who disagree but at the end of the day, it ends up being your personal choice that edges it and what works best for you. :)

tower
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tower » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:59 am

Prepare for a shock when the new Gnome arrives!

Return to “About Mint Editions”