Forum rules
Before you post please read this
chili
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 8 vs. Mint 5 LTS or ... ?

Post by chili » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Hello everyone!

First of all ... I love Mint. Being that kind of a person that just loves trying out things, I tried something like 10 distros and Mint is my absolute fav.
When my mother got a nasty trojan I formated her computer and installed Mint 8. She loved it, but the computer is apparently in not good enough state to run it smoothly. It's around five or six years old Pentium M 1.5 GHz and 1 GB of a bit damaged ram (memtest did find some errors).
She experienced constant freezes and slow downs. We tried Chrome and Opera instead of Firefox but nothing helped. Using it was unbearable, so I took her computer and tried several other distros.
And ended with Mint again. This time with a different desktop, xfce. And yes, there is an improvement, but it seems my mum doesn't like it that much, the menus are less friendly and it is not really completely freeze-proof either.

So now I'm on a mission again. My question is, will Mint 5 work better on an older computer? From what I understand, the answer is no, but being a newbie in linux I won't make any conclusions on my own. We are not planing on replacing RAM, the computer is fine for surfing the net and watching a movie from time to time.

Would you suggest any other distro?
I tried Puppy which worked fast on my computer but didn't even want to boot on my mothers. I didn't really bother, because it's not that beginner friendly and it's kind of uglee ... Forgive me for saying that. She is an artist, she cares, unfortunately.
I tried ubuntu studio (she is a musician and records music on the computer) but it was terrible. Freezed a lot.
I also tried Mepis, which freezed even before I managed to install it and I almost damaged partitions because of that.
As i said, Mint 7 xfce works ok (so it's not a lost case i guess :D )
I was considering Debian, but people say it's not for beginners. My mother needs something that just works (like Mint). So, I'm looking for something stable, newbie friendly which works well enough on an older computer. I will probably just install XP back, but I wanted some opinions from experts before i do that.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint 8 vs. Mint 5 LTS or ... ?

Post by beefstu » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:51 pm

Its unlikely Mint 5 will work better.

I think you may have answered your own question
a bit damaged ram
suggests it wouldn't matter what disto/OS you use, this is the most likely cause of the freezes. I know you said you don't want to replace the RAM but it would only be a very small cost.

There are other lighter versions of Mint such as Fluxbox or LXDE which you could also try
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Mint 8, any version should run fine on a system with a 1.5 GHz processor and 1 GB of RAM. As beefstu said it is most likely the damaged RAM causing the freezes. RAM is cheap and easy to replace in most systems and, if you have found damage, you should replace all the RAM. RAM damage can be progressive and enough damaged RAM will prevent the system from booting or running at all.
Registered Linux User 483387

chili
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chili » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:43 pm

Hmm ... ok. I will take your advice into consideration. I'm going to run memtest again, because last time I was running it only for a short time (it found an error or two I think). And you are right, DDR1 is much cheaper than I thought.
I did talk to my mother though and she said she replaced ram not too long ago (about two years). And I made a mistake, it's 2x1GB. Is it possible there is another faulty hardware like hard drive or processor making the computer slow? How do I test this?
I don't want to replace ram just to find out the computer still freezes.

Oh and thank you for quick replies.

capt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by capt » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:06 pm

Here is my thought, XP runs on bad memory, Linux does NOT! Why not remove and test the ram 1 stick at a time. 1 may be good and 1 may be bad? Use the good one and see how it works. All my computers will run on 1 stick ( some require it in a certain position) check the manual if needed. :D

chili
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chili » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:39 am

I will do that, but since memtest takes a lot of time (at least on that laptop), I'll have to do that when nobody is using it.
Why does XP run on bad memory and linux doesn't?

iferdjani
Level 1
Level 1
Location: Cotonou, Benin! probably the only one running linux mint in my country lol

Post by iferdjani » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:40 am

Why does XP run on bad memory and linux doesn't?
hm, wondering the same thing! looks like the more i learn about linux, the more windows seems so...unstable... :?
quadruple boot : WIndows 7, OS X Snow Leopard, Ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix, LInux Mint 8 LXDE RC1 !! why? because I can..
(honestly, my fav is the LXDE one) :)

Return to “About Mint Editions”