Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
bp96
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint 9 GNOME or Mint 9 KDE?

Post by bp96 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:59 am

I would like to run Mint 9 KDE when it is released but I don't know if my laptop can support it. I've heard that Mint 9 KDE will have KDE 4.4 which has lower hardware requirements. My hardware specs are:
Intel 1.5GHz Dual Core Processor
2GB of DDR2 RAM.
Intel GM965 / Mobile Intel GMA X3100 Graphics.
For more info about my specs: http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/v ... GN-NR11S_S

The only problem that might keep me from switching to KDE, is that on my current Mint 8 installation, KDE sometimes freezes and crashes my system. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? I think it's that KDE wasn't a proper install on my laptop so it isn't very compatible. I installed KDE alongside GNOME in my current Mint installation (Mint 8 ).

So in brief: can I run KDE on my laptop smoothly? I don't want any freezes or crashes like I have now on my GNOME installation. I want the performance to be as good, if not better, than GNOME.
Last edited by bp96 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 9 GNOME or Mint 9 KDE?

Post by feed3 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:37 am

bp96 wrote:KDE sometimes freezes and crashes my system. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? I think it's that KDE wasn't a proper install on my laptop so it isn't very compatible. I installed KDE alongside GNOME in my current Mint installation (Mint 8).

So in brief: can I run KDE on my laptop smoothly? I don't want any freezes or crashes like I have now on my GNOME installation. I want the performance to be as good, if not better, than GNOME.
You answered it yourself already.. :) try installing mint helena kde ce and see if it give any differences. some people said that, when you install kde inside mint main or any other mint editions, you are getting the vanilla kde from ubuntu's repo and not the same as the kde ce one.

i personally believe that mint 9 kde will be much more snappier and smoother with the new kde but as usual, i will just download and see for myself all the mint editions! :D -although the kde edition will be my main os in the end.. cheers.. :)

ezas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ezas » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:00 am

If you are looking for stability with KDE 4.4.x good luck. I have been using KDE 4.4.2 on another distro that just went final and after all the crashes I had tonight with Firefox and Banshee I'm giving serious thought to making my default boot my Mint 8 Gnome installation again. I'm a light user (web browsing, downloading/burning files, and watch the occasional movie.)

Doing the same tasks in Mint 8 Gnome I don't even think about crashes/lockups. Where with KDE 4.4.2 its a daily occurrence. Almost all the crashes involve KDEinit but tonight it was the MozillaHelper. Yesterday Banshee wouldn't run until after I logged out and back in, and tonight it was trying to open a PDF from the web in either Okular or Evince.

Like the poster above I planned on KDE being my main desktop but I've just about reached my frustration limit (again) with KDE 4.x.x (at least as implemented in the other distro which is well thought of by many).
unweaving the rainbow

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:34 am

ezas wrote:I have been using KDE 4.4.2 on another distro that just went final
i think you might brings some confusion here where the op clearly asking about mint flavor of kde. :)

but yes, for other distro, kde 4.4.x is just a frustration (at least for me), sabayon 5.1 kde, opensuse 11.2, mandriva, kubuntu (the lists keeps growing for me) but for mint kde ce, it is my main os(am upgrading it to kde 4.4.2) as it is what i want. i've tried all (well, not all but almost all) of mint flavors but still kde ce is my choice. it is entirely depend on you yourself, if it runs well and steady in your machine, and you want it, then use it. on the other hand, even it is somehow runs very very well and solid as rock but it is not the one you want, then absolutely it wont be your choice isn't it?

as for the op questions, i do think your lappy specs is sufficient enough to run kde and try the kde ce, not by installing it from package manager inside the main edition. if it can't serve you well, you still have some other choices of mint editions or even from other distros.

bp96
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bp96 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:19 am

as for the op questions, i do think your lappy specs is sufficient enough to run kde and try the kde ce, not by installing it from package manager inside the main edition. if it can't serve you well, you still have some other choices of mint editions or even from other distros.
Yeah, I want to go for KDE because I think it looks amazing and has all those visual effects. :o IMO, GNOME looks a bit to dull for me. When you said 'try kde ce, not by installing it from the package manager,' how do I install it?

monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:54 am

I am keeping a couple versions of the pending Ubuntu release loaded to get a better picture of where the new Mint release will start. To tell the truth its too early for me to make a quality assessment on the final Ubuntu release much less something as far out as the next Mint release. perhaps I need a better crystal ball. :D
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:03 pm

bp96 wrote:
Yeah, I want to go for KDE because I think it looks amazing and has all those visual effects. :o IMO, GNOME looks a bit to dull for me. When you said 'try kde ce, not by installing it from the package manager,' how do I install it?
Download the ISO, burn it to a DVD and install from the disc.

I have Mint KDE 64 installed and it's very quick as well as stable. I've never had a stability issue with KDE that wasn't directly attributed to something I had installed or done to my system.
Linux User #384279

bp96
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bp96 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:10 pm

Biker wrote: I have Mint KDE 64 installed and it's very quick as well as stable. I've never had a stability issue with KDE that wasn't directly attributed to something I had installed or done to my system.
Biker, what are system hardware specs? And is it true that in Mint x64 that on YouTube, you can't click on the controls because of Flash problems?

Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:15 pm

I'm running the following:

Toshiba P305D 2GHz AMD Turion 64 x2
ATI x1250 Video
4 GB RAM

I have the control issue in Opera, but I'm able to use flash controls in FireFox. One of these days I'll dig under the hood and figure out why. :mrgreen:
Linux User #384279

bp96
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bp96 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:00 pm

Oh, that just makes me even more jealous :lol:
Those specs is probably why you can run KDE fluently. But I don't know about me though...I got my laptop on 24th December 2007...

bp96
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bp96 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:39 pm

Please could someone tell me what the battery life of KDE 4.4 (the one in Kubuntu/ Mint 9 KDE) is compared to the latest version of GNOME in Ubuntu 10.04?

Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:14 pm

bp96 wrote:Oh, that just makes me even more jealous :lol:
Those specs is probably why you can run KDE fluently. But I don't know about me though...I got my laptop on 24th December 2007...
Give it a shot.. My first "home" experience with Linux was on an old PIII/450MHz machine with less than 200MB of RAM. SUSE was a dog, but there were a few other distros that ran well on it, including KDE 3.x.

Battery life is going to depend on more than just the Desktop Manager.
Linux User #384279

denyu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by denyu » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:51 am

My computer only P4 so is it time for me to wave white flag for next release ?
Anyway I prefer gnome, I've try many distribution with KDE none with gnome untill I meet Mint.

bp96
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bp96 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:32 pm

I have one regret on switching to Ubuntu/ Kubuntu 10.04. My problem is that in the Login Manager, there is no list of users like in Ubuntu 9.10. Has this feature been removed? And will it still be in Mint 9 GNOME/KDE? This is where you had to click on the user you wanted to login (like in Windows) and then enter only the password instead of entering both username and password...

P.S. BTW, I was running a live CD...

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:58 pm

bp96 wrote: My problem is that in the Login Manager, there is no list of users like in Ubuntu 9.10. Has this feature been removed? And will it still be in Mint 9 GNOME/KDE? This is where you had to click on the user you wanted to login (like in Windows) and then enter only the password instead of entering both username and password...
not sure for kubuntu 10.04(still not trying it yet) but for ubuntu 10.04, am just need to click my username and type only my password while in GDM but im quite sure for KDM, it is partly depend on the theme being used. never cared bout it while running the live cd/usb though.

BTW,
bp96 wrote: I have one regret on switching to Ubuntu/ Kubuntu 10.04.
V.S
bp96 wrote: P.S. BTW, I was running a live CD...
which one is right? *scratching head* :roll:

latin 46
Level 1
Level 1

Post by latin 46 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:41 pm

I just finished using the LinuxMint 9 , Gnome on the live disk and it was good for a newbie like myself, but I will also try the KDE version. :D

Inoki
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Inoki » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:31 am

Guys, is it possible if I have the default Mint installed to change the GUI from GNOME to KDE?

peteperry84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by peteperry84 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:04 pm

I gave up on KDE when KDE 4 was released. I was very happy with Mint 7 as a base but with several kde 3 modules incorporated. To me Mint gnome 8 was a step backward and Mint kde 8 was unusable.
I am using mint gnome 9 and the only KDE module i use is "kate"

I am a structural engineer and have been writing programs since 1970 for my building system development. The utter simplicity of gnome's user interface after struggling through assembler, Windows, Storm, and then Red Hat before Ubuntu arrived on the scene. And Mint makes it even simpler to use!! I don't want the computer to do my thinking.

If this long winded blurb is in appropriate, I apologizes

Return to “About Mint Editions”