What will Mint 9 mean to the average user?

Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: What will Mint 9 mean to the average user?

Post by DrHu » Sun May 02, 2010 5:12 pm

bar0n1 wrote:I use Openoffice and Googledocs which are perfectly useable and fabulous for home use. I don't feel comfortable using them in a work environment because I always feel that I need to check the formatting etc in MS Office first.
..I always feel that I need to check the formatting etc in MS Office first
Sorry about being uncomfortable, but you are just giving yourself more work than is necessary: depend on the software (OpenOffice) to work correctly for Ms word documents, spreadsheets aaaghh?

Try what old codgers would suggest for tumultuous reports on paper: ignore them to see if anyone asks about a report
--the same method for OpenOffice saved as ms compatible documents (word something ?): no problems being reported, then no problems using it..Of course you don't tell them it was generated via OpenOffice, or they will surely identify problems existing or non-existing..
--and as an Ms office user they will be used to malformed documents: send again please, I cannot open this, I cannot read this ?. Perhaps needing a version update or a reader or patch for that other Ms office document generated version..

jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:28 pm

tower wrote:Mint 9 will be the distro most Ubuntu users hoped they would get in Lynx.

When Mint 9 goes live you will hear a Scottish voice shouting. "The severs will no take it cap'n!"
Captain, I canna change the laws of physics!
Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo/i7-3930k/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM/Nvidia GTX670/Samsung 540GB SSD/ 2 1TB WD hard drives

senseiski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by senseiski » Sun May 16, 2010 11:05 am

I really like the Linux Mint practice to release it's edition few week after Ubuntu release, because on top of the other advantages, the first wave of serious bugs in 'Buntu is already updated to a relatively stable level. :)

PS: If you want to make sure your OpenOffice.org documents are readable, you could just export them as pdf files - it's easy and well-done in OO.org. Of course, if the document is supposed to be edited by the receiver, this option is not practical, then you can rely on the compatibility between the two office suites.

foonil

Post by foonil » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:59 pm

I, myself, haven't really gotten to use Linux ever, now I'm thinking of installing it on a laptop of mine.

It's true that Windows has it's bad sides but so do Linux and everything else as well, if you know how to keep Windows running great and know the right software and stuff there isn't really much problems. The only problems I've had were incompatibility between (I believe) NTFS and ext3 when I had Ubuntu and WinXP on the same machine and they were both using the same HDD.

I decided to try Linux Mint because I am a newbie with Linux and Mint has stuff like codecs packed with it and it seems to be an easy to use option (I also have a _total_ computer newbie here, that doesn't know anything, using the same machine).
I hope Linux Mint delivers what I expect and I don't have a lot of problems with it.

I am very well aware of the downsides of Linux too and I'm not keeping my hopes too high, actually I'm starting to use it now just because I needed something lightweight on the laptop. Never felt the need to change away from Windows.

sezuor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sezuor » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:32 am

Windows XP home is twice as fast as Linux Mint 9 on this computer

OldManHook
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OldManHook » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:49 am

sezuor wrote:Windows XP home is twice as fast as Linux Mint 9 on this computer
How about giving the Specs on that Super Computer :lol:
If Windows XP works for you fine but 2X :shock: , Take your Meds :lol: :lol:
No more BSOD-- :!:
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Gandhi

sezuor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sezuor » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:19 am

OldManHook wrote: How about giving the Specs on that Super Computer :lol:
If Windows XP works for you fine but 2X :shock: , Take your Meds :lol: :lol:
No more BSOD-- :!:
3.2 Dual core Intel
2 Gb Ram
Nvidia 6800

I used to use linux mint on my laptop with no problems though.
Honestly, I don't remember this computer ever getting bsod with xp home.
But I prefer linux.

Return to “About Mint Editions”