Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Troken
Level 3
Level 3

Which mint for low RAM computer?

Post by Troken » Fri May 07, 2010 10:36 am

I have a fairly old laptop, only 700mhz cpu and 128 mb ram. Which edition would be recommended for this? Fluxbox edition? LXDE edition? Im more interested in hardware speed than preferences in window/filemanagers. Any thoughts or experiences? Thank you!

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Which mint for low RAM computer?

Post by Aging Technogeek » Fri May 07, 2010 10:56 am

With only 128 Mb of ram, you will have difficulty installing any version of Mint.

Fluxbox is the lightest version and the release notes for Mint 8 Fluxbox CE (the latest available) say it requires 256 Mb to install.

If you can get more ram for your computer, that would make it easier to install Mint.
Registered Linux User 483387

Troken
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Troken » Fri May 07, 2010 11:28 am

Thank you. I see, perhapps Lubuntu or Puppy or something similar. Too bad, Mint is my favorite.

Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl » Fri May 07, 2010 11:40 am

Troken wrote:Thank you. I see, perhapps Lubuntu or Puppy or something similar. Too bad, Mint is my favorite.
Lubuntu will be just as difficult to run as the LXDE version of mint, however maybe installing it via the alternative CD which uses a text based installer? hmmmm...

anyway I would like to put forward CrunchBang! Linux which the current stable is based on Ubuntu 9.04 however they have recently released and Alpha based on Debian Testing which is supposedly quite stable :D it's worth noting though that this distro is quite minimalistic using only the openbox window manager and the Tint2 Panel

Take a look---> http://crunchbanglinux.org/

I also here good things about puppy =]

900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i » Fri May 07, 2010 11:43 am

Not sure what minimum system specs it needs but I would recommend #!Crunchbang Linux

http://crunchbanglinux.org/
Acer C720 Linux Mint 19.2, Core i7 Linux Mint 19.2/Windows 10

piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Post by piratesmack » Fri May 07, 2010 5:06 pm

Troken wrote:Puppy
One of my favorites.
Barry K does a great job at building a small yet full-featured and user-friendly distro.

vlovjz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vlovjz » Fri May 07, 2010 11:05 pm

900i wrote:Not sure what minimum system specs it needs but I would recommend #!Crunchbang Linux

I second that.

mick55
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mick55 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:19 pm

A.Tim wrote:
900i wrote:Not sure what minimum system specs it needs but I would recommend #!Crunchbang Linux

I second that.
I third that. :mrgreen:

Get the new "Statler" alpha release. It is based on Debian Lenny and the openbox
version uses less than 50MB of RAM when first booted up.

I have not yet tried the Xfce version........ but I will soon. :D

http://crunchbanglinux.org/downloads/statler/alpha-01/
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)

Troken
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Troken » Sat May 08, 2010 3:09 pm

Thank you for all your advice, highly appreciated! I have now installed Lubuntu AND Puppy, and I'm currently downloading Crunchbang#!. Lubuntu actually runs fairly well, so I will probably give Mint a shot after all. However Puppy runs even smoother and recognizes all hardware I connect, truly amazing. Not to fancy to look at though. So next will be Crunchbang.

distro hopper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by distro hopper » Sat May 08, 2010 10:51 pm

One way to install an ultra-light system would be get a copy of Ubuntu 9.04 Mini.iso (Minimal install). Then from the CD boot command line run 'cli' and start fresh with a cli install of Ubuntu (usually uses about 34MB of memory clean. THEN I manually installed LXDE, removed GDM and went with a login manager like XDM (but SLIM is light too). Under that setup, with the desktop running I was only using approximately 78MB of RAM. For a browser, I used Midori, although it was an older version, and was kinda crappy.. Ultimately it was nice to be able to ssh into my main computer and use Firefox over the network.. but thats a different story all together. Oh, another thing I should mention though is that this setup doesn't include sound drivers (Which in my case I didn't need them).. so it's really a matter of personal preference. But, on a PIII 667 Mhz machine with 256MB RAM, this setup is super-light and really fast.
Distrohopper

vlovjz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vlovjz » Sat May 08, 2010 11:09 pm

Troken wrote:Thank you for all your advice, highly appreciated! I have now installed Lubuntu AND Puppy, and I'm currently downloading Crunchbang#!. Lubuntu actually runs fairly well, so I will probably give Mint a shot after all. However Puppy runs even smoother and recognizes all hardware I connect, truly amazing. Not to fancy to look at though. So next will be Crunchbang.
If Firefox ends up taking up too much ram, try Google Chrome. If it's not in the repos check out the PPA. It's a lot lighter; I think maybe lighter than Opera.

Really hope Crunchbang works out for you. It's really fun to work with, although there is a learning curve to it. Well worth it though. Let us know how it goes.

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent » Sat May 08, 2010 11:13 pm

Chrome takes up more RAM than Firefox once you open up more than 3 or 4 tabs. In fact, Firefox actually uses the least amount of RAM (when multiple tabs/windows are opened) amongst the top 5 browsers (you know, IE, FF, Chrome, Safari, Opera), although memory leaks sort of negate that benefit if you leave FF open for extended periods of time. :P

If you want a truly lightweight RAM-saving browser, there are some less-known options out there...take Dillo and Midori, which are based on the Gecko and Webkit rendering engines respectively.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

Troken
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Troken » Sun May 09, 2010 5:17 am

What about Seamonkey? Might also be good for a low-RAM system.

:arrow: Distrohopper, Im too much of a noob to understand all those commands and tweaks, I guess I need a distro that works out of the box more or less. But thank you anyway, in another year or so, I might try all what you adviced!

Still, I can't completely let go of Mint... must try it when the new 9 versions are released.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Mon May 10, 2010 8:28 am

what about anti-X from the Mepis team?.

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php/Main_Page

that one is designed to run on 128Mb ram, or less, with some configuring.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Troken
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Troken » Mon May 10, 2010 10:41 am

what about anti-X from the Mepis team?
I tried once, but could not boot. The laptop do not have a cd-rom, usb-boot, lan or floppy (yes, I know, it's amazing), so I install a system by removing the hard disk, putting it into another computer where I install, then back to the laptop. I think that Anti-X didn't like that treatment.

Cruchbang is a little slow on the laptop, if anybody still's interested. But really cool distro, I'd like to try it more on another machine!

anticapitalista
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anticapitalista » Mon May 10, 2010 11:25 am

Troken wrote:
what about anti-X from the Mepis team?
I tried once, but could not boot. The laptop do not have a cd-rom, usb-boot, lan or floppy (yes, I know, it's amazing), so I install a system by removing the hard disk, putting it into another computer where I install, then back to the laptop. I think that Anti-X didn't like that treatment.
Did you reconfigure xorg once you put the hard drive back into the laptop?

Troken
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Troken » Mon May 10, 2010 12:31 pm

Did you reconfigure xorg once you put the hard drive back into the laptop?
No...

Troken
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Troken » Mon May 10, 2010 3:55 pm

anticapitalista, what happens is that no device is found (Fatal server error: no screens found). So i can not start x. I think, to be honest, I don't understand, but thats what I think happens.

Troken
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Troken » Tue May 11, 2010 6:06 pm

After trying Lubuntu, Crunchbang, Antix and Puppy Linux... the winner is Puppy Linux! The computer runs smoothly, all hardware is recogniced and after some tweaking: it actually looks very good! Thank you for all input in this thread, it is appreciated.

Colonel Panic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Colonel Panic » Fri May 14, 2010 4:30 pm

I'm a Puppy user myself, so I second that.

Maybe I should point out that there are even lighter versions of Puppy than the standard one which require less in the way of system resources, such as Puppy Turbo (and Turbo Extreme), Puppy Classic and Puppy PULP.

Return to “About Mint Editions”