Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Flame_Phoenix
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Was 9 worth the trouble?

Post by Flame_Phoenix » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:01 am

Guys, if you are saying that LM9 is way slower and has slower menus than it's previous version, than blame Ubuntu. Recent tests show that if you have the 3D effects option enabled for menus, you will run the system with less FPS (minus 30 FPS is the average number).
So if you want to have the speed up again, you have to disable the effects.

shayney
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shayney » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:46 am

Flame_Phoenix wrote:So if you want to have the speed up again, you have to disable the effects.
I run with effects on both mint and ubuntu.
With exactly the same effects and desktop/panel/theme setup, ubuntu still runs faster for me.
Like I said, dunno why. I'm not saying Mint 9 is drastically slow or sluggish by any means, like I said, it feels about the same as Mint 8 but straight ubuntu still seems much snappier.

mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:43 am

mzsade wrote:Videos are still jerky, weren't so in Helena, and Gloria was the best in overall performance. But all my drivers installed so smoothly and everything else works flawlessly, so i am not complaining. I watch media on my #! Statler partition on which incidentally, my printer doesn't work. :lol:
Would you believe it! No more jerky videos now, have no idea how, must have been the last update..this is now the best Mint i have used to date, flawless. Who sez otherwise? C'mon then, come one come all... :lol:
Last edited by mzsade on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:24 am

mzsade wrote:Would you believe it! No more jerky videos now, have no idea how, must have the last update..this is now the best Mint i have used to date, flawless. Who sez otherwise? C'mon then, come one come all... :lol:
Hmmm, sounds like time to avoid updates to flash, media players, and firefox unless something breaks or there is a serious security issue.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon
READING: Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

Wilbur17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wilbur17 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:27 pm

It was worth it for me. I had Mint 8 going fine and was nervous about trying Mint 9 after having had Ubuntu 10.04 installed and running as best at it could get. Did a dual boot for a while with Ubuntu and Mint 9...there was no comparing the two. Things I could not do in Ubuntu went smoothly in Mint and I have found it to pretty much everything I could want in an OS.

I also put it on my nephews Dell 1501 with the AMD64 version and he is pleased with it. He can dual boot to his 32 bit Vista or use his Mint 9 whenever he chooses and he is doing fine with it. My next trick to do on his laptop is to get WoW running in Wine for him :lol:

It's not perfect for sure, but I can't think of an OS that can do better for me personally. I pretty much have decided to stay with Mint 9 for the long term and it now is my main OS.

Yes it was worth it and also worth the extra month to wait, my installs have gone nearly flawlessly with networking, wireless networking, backup utilities, web surfing and what have you going fairly easily. Mint 9 is spoiling me as an end-user for any other OS including Windows 7, OS X and the assorted Linux distsros I have tried. I tip my hat to the Mint team for putting out a great distro.

sahilshinesalways
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sahilshinesalways » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:33 pm

there are few people who realy want to live in microsoft's fantacy world and dont want to look and feel the world outsde it...
may be because they better know why in almost all super computers linux is used(i guess 97% to be exect) :mrgreen:

and beeing questioned about bugs,even we being the most cleanest creature on earth are bugged by bugs and viruses,we make the software so....heiridity...genetics :lol:
Facebook set to deactivate 83 million fake accounts --->http://technoguru.org/?p=609
registered Linux user #510231 | Registered linux machine #421068

Return to “About Mint Editions”