Linux Mint E17

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint E17

Post by Jessey Lawson »

I think mint has given up on the other desktops other then Cinnamon and Mate. I Tried Enlightenement and it was decent, but not good looking like cinnamon in my eyses. I do wish that Clem would bring back KDE, XFCE, LXDE, and include Enlightenment. I also would like to see a version with Trinity.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Jessey: you are asking too much !!!! Although there were magnificent versions with the desktop LXDE (versions 10, 11 and 12), Linux Mint 12 LXDE unfortunately was the last version with the desktop environment. Recently, I met the Enlightenment desktop environment (Thanks to SparkyLinux and Manjaro Linux) and really I thought was excellent. It is quite beautiful and functional at the same time. It would be great to see a version of Linux Mint with Enlightenment ..... It would be great.-

Unfortunately, I know Trinity (although I was told that is very good), no distribution is that it brings?? However, editions of Linux Mint 15 with KDE and XFCE I think they are on the way. The Linux Mint team is small, then focuses on 4 desktops for now: Mate, Cinnamon, KDE and XFCE. Best Regards.
gnudude

Post by gnudude »

With e17 I always get tired of having to tweak theme/fonts on e17 and then tweak the theme/fonts for gtk to get a similar look....two different systems are just aggravating...
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Jose Manuel wrote:
Unfortunately, I know Trinity (although I was told that is very good), no distribution is that it brings??
I tried this one and use for a while
http://exegnulinux.net/
Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jessey Lawson »

I do wish that Clem would bring back KDE, XFCE, LXDE, and include Enlightenment. I also would like to see a version with Trinity.
Why not put LXDE and XFCE on one release as they are both small desktos. This way we could have the best of both. How about haveing Cinamon and Mate on one. I know that cinnamon still uses gnome for some of its parts. So why not make cinnamon use mate instead of Gnome. I also thik KDE and Trinity could be on a disk too. Unity and gnome 3 suck and they should die out. Unity looks like a Mac died and rolled in a pile of brown mud.
fubuz

Post by fubuz »

You could try "Unofficial Linux Mint 15 LXDE" or lower versions of mint from http://linuxmint.pl/ site.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Jessey Lawson wrote:Why not put LXDE and XFCE on one release as they are both small desktos. This way we could have the best of both. How about haveing Cinamon and Mate on one. I know that cinnamon still uses gnome for some of its parts. So why not make cinnamon use mate instead of Gnome. I also thik KDE and Trinity could be on a disk too. Unity and gnome 3 suck and they should die out. Unity looks like a Mac died and rolled in a pile of brown mud.
MATE is basically a port of Gnome 2 IIRC. So you are missing several of the Gnome 3 features. (Gnome 3 =/= unity or Gnome shell. Gnome shell is what you are referring to with Gnome 3) There is also much more development for Gnome 3 because there are simply more people working on it. So it would be silly to make Cinnamon the same as MATE. I for one like many of the new features and enhancements that Gnome 3 brought to the table. Gnome shell isn't that bad either, but to each his own.

As for putting multiple DE's on the same disk, that would, a) make for huge downloads, b) require much more development and testing time to make sure everything on the disk plays nice, and c) make it much more difficult to maintain. The team is already doing well, but once the project really becomes work and is no longer fun (for the devs), it will get abandoned.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Jessey Lawson wrote:I think mint has given up on the other desktops other then Cinnamon and Mate. I Tried Enlightenement and it was decent, but not good looking like cinnamon in my eyses. I do wish that Clem would bring back KDE, XFCE, LXDE, and include Enlightenment. I also would like to see a version with Trinity.
Mint 15 KDE is on its way - Xfce might follow later.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Aleenik

Post by Aleenik »

AlbertP wrote:
Jessey Lawson wrote:I think mint has given up on the other desktops other then Cinnamon and Mate. I Tried Enlightenement and it was decent, but not good looking like cinnamon in my eyses. I do wish that Clem would bring back KDE, XFCE, LXDE, and include Enlightenment. I also would like to see a version with Trinity.
Mint 15 KDE is on its way - Xfce might follow later.
Great to hear.:) I know a few people who are big fans of KDE. Personally I've never liked it though.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”