Forum rules
Before you post please read this
snapy
Level 1
Level 1

Compiling Mint LXDE like Gentoo

Post by snapy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:18 pm

Hello,

currently I'm using Ubuntu Netbook Edition, but I would like to switch and want to make my new system as fast as possible. I really like the idea of a fresh install like Gentoo. I have to say, that I'm a linux intermediate.

My question is a little bit special: How can I compile Linux Mint LXDE (and maybie all additional packages) from source?

Also enabling the Brtfs-Filesystem would be cool. (Hmm, could this be the fastest linux ever? :lol:) Maybie we/someone could make a tutorial for all users..

Thank you much in advance!

kind regards :)

piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Compiling Mint LXDE like Gentoo

Post by piratesmack » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:16 pm

It would probably be easiest to build a Gentoo system then 'Mintify' it (add the Mint tools, flash, codecs, artwork, etc).
MintUpdate and maybe others will have to be modified since Gentoo uses a different package manager.

Getting the source to all the packages and figuring out the order to build them in would be difficult. Plus I'm not sure if Ubuntu/Mint go through a complete rebuild before every release, so it's possible that packages that were built under an older release will fail to build under the latest release without being patched/updated.

snapy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snapy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:01 pm

thank you, but isn't it complicate to "Mintify" it, would it not be better, if someone make a distro out of that. I heard, that the portage package-manager is very good. Combining the speed of Gentoo with the resource-saving simplicity of Linux Mint would be awesome.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentoo_Linux:
Gentoo package management is designed to be modular, portable, easy to maintain, flexible, and optimized for the user's machine. Gentoo describes itself as a metadistribution, "because of its near-unlimited adaptability".
About the brtfs-filesystem: I heard, that it will be propably included in Ubuntu 10.10 thus it's no problem anymore..

What do you/others think about that?

Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thomas » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:27 pm

snapy wrote:thank you, but isn't it complicate to "Mintify" it, would it not be better, if someone make a distro out of that. I heard, that the portage package-manager is very good. Combining the speed of Gentoo with the resource-saving simplicity of Linux Mint would be awesome.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentoo_Linux:
Gentoo package management is designed to be modular, portable, easy to maintain, flexible, and optimized for the user's machine. Gentoo describes itself as a metadistribution, "because of its near-unlimited adaptability".
About the brtfs-filesystem: I heard, that it will be propably included in Ubuntu 10.10 thus it's no problem anymore..

What do you/others think about that?
Mintifying something isn't that hard...especially compared to attempting to recompile ubuntu from source..../

axel668
Level 3
Level 3

Post by axel668 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:26 am

"Mintifying" a Gentoo system sounds like a bit of a contradiction, the point about Mint is to work out of the box, while the point of Gentoo is building and configuring everything from scratch.

Besides I have serious doubts if the performance of such a system would be much better, tried Sabayon last year (Gentoo- based Gnome desktop distribution) and even after recompiling (which took DAYS) it was much slower than Mint or Ubuntu.

A more promising approach might be to stick with Mint LXDE, but to compile your own kernel, optimized for your hardware. While I didn't try it myself (think that Mint 9 LXDE is fast enough) I have read some posts of people claiming this had a notable effect on performance / resource usage.
“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila” (Mitch Ratcliffe)

Return to “About Mint Editions”