mintDisk SATA support?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Blind Tiger
Level 1
Level 1

mintDisk SATA support?

Post by Blind Tiger »

During install, the partitioner would not recognize my existing Linux partitions on my SATA drive. I had intended to use a 70 gig partition for /home, but the only partition option given was to reformat/repartition the entire drive. yet after install, mintDisk recognizes my NTFS windows partitions on the SATA drive???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

There are two separate items here.
mintDisk automounts ntfs and fat partitions and that's all
Unfortunately the partitioner in the install is a bit "grumpy"
It is, as far as I know safe, but does not always let you do what you want.
Did you use the option manual partitioning?
It does recognize "LInux partitions" (of course) and the problems with SATA drives are long overcome.
How did you solve this as you did install?
Blind Tiger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Blind Tiger »

Since the only manual option available upon install for the SATA drive was to completely reformat the entire drive and all existing partitions on it, I chose not to touch it at all, and opted for using an existing small partition on my ide drive for my /home directory. Other than trying a reinstall, my other thought is to try to reformat the SATA partition using gparted, then manually switch the mount point of my /home directory from the IDE partition to the SATA partition.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'm not quite sure I follow you as this is really - well -bizarre
I had some similar problem some time ago when I wanted to install some new Mint The only partition offered was hda8 which had (and has) something I don't want to get rid off (Feisty) I almost always use manual partitioning as I have so many partitions on that PC
To achieve my goal I had to manually give hda8 no mountpoint at all. After that I could select the root I wanted
This lead of course to that hda8 never appeared in that install until I manually added it....
Possibly you could try some similar trick
Blind Tiger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Blind Tiger »

Thanks for the tip. I will try your method.
Blind Tiger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Blind Tiger »

So I've done an install of Ubuntu Studio 1.0 and have experienced the same issue during install. Although I could not manually mount the SATA partition to my /home directory during install, the Reiser partition is recognized as an unmounted partition by my file browser, so what I've done is thus (best explained by this how to):
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _partition
with respect . . .
-- Blind Tiger --
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ah - so you've found one of my contributions to the wiki :)
The wiki is unfortunately living a life a bit in the shadows but it contains lots of good stuff
Blind Tiger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Blind Tiger »

Right on! Thanks for the contribution.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”