Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
sloto
Level 1
Level 1

Mint9 and Big Brother

Post by sloto » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:20 am

Mint 7 is almost perfect and I will probably go back to it "again".
I keep trying to set up Mint 9 as I would like it, but then another "control freak" feature shows up.
First I find that when I come out of sleep, big brother protects me from an intruder by asking for my password. I really don't get many intruders in my house. So after finding a couple fixes in the forum that don't work I find the simple solution in screen savers.
Then I move on to set up Thunderbird. Holy crap. What over kill. I tried hard to find a way to get the old version back with no luck. After farting around a few hrs I finally got it working but I don't need the new features.
Then the thing that will probably send me back to Mint7. I get an email with some pictures and save them to desktop. When I try to open them I get a message that they may be baddies and are not marked as "executable" to protect me.
OK, no problem, I know how to make them executable, but I can see where I will have to do it every time I get any pictures that ubuntu didn't put here.
This is really too bad because Mint 9 is definitely faster booting and has the latest drivers no doubt.
Please don't protect us with Mint 10. We apparently know how to reinstall if the baddies get us...........Sloto

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Mint9 and Big Brother

Post by DrHu » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:09 pm

I don't know: What is this ?

Is that post a question or a message to y'all..
  • if it's a message I just don't get it
  • If it's a question, I just don't get it
I am still asking myself, what was the question/message
--oh well, a wee snort will cure the headache.

sloto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sloto » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:47 pm

OK, "Big brother" isn't what I meant. I probably should have named it "holding hands with Mint9".
I am here to say that I think Mint is the greatest. I have tried all of the top ten on Distrowatch and probably twice that many below top ten.
But it seemed to me that 8 and 9 were trying to protect me more than I would like and I posted the original to see if others were of like mind.
I will go back to Mint9 as soon as I figure out how to save and open .jpeg files with out marking them executabe after every save........Sloto

tenfoot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tenfoot » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:33 pm

sloto wrote:OK, "Big brother" isn't what I meant. I probably should have named it "holding hands with Mint9".
I am here to say that I think Mint is the greatest. I have tried all of the top ten on Distrowatch and probably twice that many below top ten.
But it seemed to me that 8 and 9 were trying to protect me more than I would like and I posted the original to see if others were of like mind.
I will go back to Mint9 as soon as I figure out how to save and open .jpeg files with out marking them executabe after every save........Sloto
Good to know that you are not "giving up" and are going back to Mint 9.

On image files - jpeg, png... etc - click with the right mouse button and choose "open with". If you just want to view the file, choose gThumb Image viewer. Your problem should be solved.

Amended. If you wish all future jpegs to be opened with GThumb, choose "Other" - Gnome Image Viewer and then tick Remember this this application for "Jpeg image" files.

sloto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sloto » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Thanks tenfoot, I was going to try your suggestion on the box that I have Mint9 on and it opened .jpgs just fine. Then I realized that I had not installed Irfanview thru wine yet as I usually do. With Irfanview, the problem was back. But I found that one more click on the open with and selecting Irfanview for WinNt etc. was my answer. So now I have the Joy of reinstalling Mint9 and all my crap on my main box. But I have the consolation that it will only take a couple hrs. Instead of 5 with windows.

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm

What filesystem are your pictures on? NTFS and FAT16/FAT32 do not store file permissions the same as Linux filesystems like EXT3/4 and you often get problems with the executable flag when using these filesystems.

Return to “About Mint Editions”