Forum rules
Before you post please read this
roobinatube
Level 1
Level 1

Mint LXDE

Post by roobinatube » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:11 am

Hello Mint!

Im not a new linux user, but I am a new ubuntu based distro user. I have always camped in the fedora field for my desktop computer.

However now I have been given an old laptop and decided to venture out! Its a Dell Latitude, 1.8Ghz, 512mb, 20gb computer. I installed lubuntu and mint xfce and noticed immediately that i didnt like how dull lubuntu looks with its dull blue thing going on. I also noticed that the free command gives almost identical results for both of them on fresh boot (after disabling the unwated startup applications in both, most are {imo} unnecessary).

So I started using mint and love it! But I fell across this issue... When im streaming the radio online, the computer randomly logs out. I guess this is because the RAM has filled up, but not certain (I have 1gb extra as swap space). So I thought maybe I would try mint lxde. How is it to use? The lxde's that i have tried so far have been pretty inadequate and not as structured and organised as other DE's, as though it is still just a collection of lightweight packages, rather than a thought about, carefully organised environment. I wondered if anyone could share their experiences of mint lxde to me?

Thankyou in advance.
Roob.

PS. one more thing that i dont really care about but would be nice to solve... in xfce i cant work out how to re-size the items in the panel, the panel can be resized, but the objects in it cant?

bolle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint LXDE

Post by bolle » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:52 am

Welcome to mint first of all :)
I used mint lxde ( now switched to main version because i got a better computer )

Its awesome!
really fast and everything, the only thing i miss is some of the gnome tools like startup applications, etc.
it is extremely fast on my 1 gig machine and i guarantee it will be really fast on yours also :)

good luck!

olligod
Level 3
Level 3

Post by olligod » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:03 pm

Hi,

I have Mint-9 LXDE on an old box (Dell Desktop 512 MB RAM, Intel, 1.6 litres displacement engibe... erm ... GHz).
My girlfriend works on this quite a lot and she is happy with it.

We did not have issued like the one you mentioned with it so far.

Always remember, LXDE cannot offer the comfort of the stronger brothers. But it is quick to setup. Actually, better so than XFCE,
for example. Also, it is lean and your machine should be reasonably fast.

The Mint team, as always, has made it stable. All is green and minty. Of course, applications are drawn from other environments,
e.g. from GTK.

Why don't you go ahead and try the live-CD for a spin? Why not test your radio station thing right away off the CD?
It may take a while to load everything. Loading apps running live-CD takes a while,
but before a hard drive install, it may be worth your while testing it that way.

Mint is also offered as fluxbox desktop, as an alternative. I believe, that is in RC status right now.
It seems that the Mint'ers are on vacation.... on the iso testing site and the blog site (apart from monthly statistics) is is pretty quiet right now.

So, when they return, you will get the choice of stable releases of
Mint-LXDE, XFCE-32bit, XFCE-64bit (I guess not for that machine you described), fluxbox
for lightweight desktops.

And if you like it, stay with us the Mint fans!

PS
Regarding your xfce issue:
I think you're right, not many options on panel settings. The only thing I found, besides panel size itself, is to create placeholders between groups of icons.
xfce is a bit tedious as a whole to set up I think, but now, for me at least, it is running nicely, without bloat and overhead.

And when running on my fairly modern machine -- IT'S FAST !

roobinatube
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roobinatube » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:02 pm

wow thanks! So much helpful information in so little time! What a welcome to mint, im really enjoying my stay already... pretty sure its going to be a long term one!

I did feel a little guilty about asking the question instead of trying the live cd, its just my router keeps disconnecting, making it a huge effort to download anything over 50mb. But now i can justify the effort!

Thanks for your help! Im sure this wont be my last post on this forum by a long way!!!

Roob

bolle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bolle » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:10 pm

Anytime, :)
Just ask and you shall recieve ^6

Return to “About Mint Editions”