Forum rules
Before you post please read this
w1shmast3r
Level 1
Level 1

Which Mint OS for max battery life?

Post by w1shmast3r » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:47 am

hi,
i'm new to Mint OS and i'm very much looking forward to install it to my HP Pavilion 2230ea laptop. its a multitouch LED, core2duo, 4gb ram, nvidia gf powered laptop running windows 7 atm. i'll be installing Mint within windows with wubi (i hope its possible) and was wondering which edition is the best for my situation.
I need Mint to be my travel companion, aiming only on internet surfing with chrome, some torrent downloading, IM chat and multimedia (movies, mp3, etc).
The thing that got me confused is how many editions are out there. I only care about power management and speed (need to get max battery life). Is the normal 64x kde version ok for me? or should i go for the LXFE or what?
thanks in advance for the input and help.
:D

keljaden
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Which Mint OS for max battery life?

Post by keljaden » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:47 am

I have found that KDE and Gnome give the best battery life as they take advantage of the processors ability to change their frequency on the fly. I get about 30 more minutes of battery life in KDE than in gnome (both x64).

Wubi is a lot slower and I do not recommend it for your install.
start > (right click) computer > manage. This opens a new window
Disk Management
(right click) your windows partition > shrink
I recommend you shrink about 20 gigs.
right click on this "free space" and select "delete" this will make that 20 gig partition unallocated
Now, boot into the live CD, and install. During install choose "use largest continuous free space"
It will take care of the rest. This will set you up with a dual boot (I use this often and works great for me) Wubi installs preform a lot slower than traditional dual boots.
While you are in linux, you will have access to the windows partition and be able to access/read/write data to it. So feel free to store all your media there and it can be quickly accessed from you linux parition.

Good Luck.

ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:57 am

Not sure if it's the same with NVidia ...
But my experience is, the crucial thing is the appropriate driver for chipset and grafics. My NB (AMD/ATI) idles with the ATI Catalyst 10.6 at some 15 Watts, with the suggested propriatery driver at some 24 Watts! Same goes for the actual open source radeon driver of kernel 2.6.35 -- it's far beyond ATI's Catalyst driver.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...

w1shmast3r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by w1shmast3r » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:21 am

thanks for the replies even though i wasnt expecting u to tell me that KDE and gnome are better in battery management than XFCE and LXDE (i was expecting u to let me choose on of these 2 as they are supposed to be less resource hungry and Lite-ish)..
anyhow if i am to choose one of the KDE and Gnome i'll go for the Gnome as i am familiar with it in Ubuntu...
if i was to choose Gnome (the original Mint OS) and one of the liteweight versions (XFCE and LXDE) just in terms of battery life/ management, which one you would prefer?

ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:43 am

w1shmast3r wrote:if i was to choose Gnome (the original Mint OS) and one of the liteweight versions (XFCE and LXDE) just in terms of battery life/ management, which one you would prefer?
If you're not short on RAM, I don't think there's a significant difference.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...

jeffreyC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jeffreyC » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:57 am

The LXDE and Fluxbox versions are not available in 64 bit and would not use all of your RAM. The Xfce version is also in 64 bit but I do not know if it would save much battery life unless you strip out most of the added Gnome packages.
Get Dropbox and an extra 250 mb http://db.tt/wAizqw0

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:23 am

I like fluxbox, I also do not like 64 bit,

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

Return to “About Mint Editions”