What version Ubuntu/Kbuntu is Mint Isadora based on?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Just_Kan't_Stop

What version Ubuntu/Kbuntu is Mint Isadora based on?

Post by Just_Kan't_Stop »

Hey all...

I've been trying to find out what Version Ubuntu/Kubutu that Mint Isadora is based on?
Is it based on Ubuntu/Kubuntu latest "LTS" release or is it based on their standard release cycle?

Thanks and Keep up the fine work on making such a fine distro... :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
craig10x

Re: What version Ubuntu/Kbuntu is Mint Isadora based on?

Post by craig10x »

ubuntu 10.04 for the gnome versions and kubuntu 10.04 for the kde version... :wink:
Mint carries the same length as ubuntu/kubuntu so it's 3 years for Isadora...
Just_Kan't_Stop

Post by Just_Kan't_Stop »

craig10x wrote:ubuntu 10.04 for the gnome versions and kubuntu 10.04 for the kde version... :wink:
Mint carries the same length as ubuntu/kubuntu so it's 3 years for Isadora...
Thanks for the Super Quick Extra SPEEDY reply, GOD Bless 8)
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

you're very welcome...glad to be of help :wink:
you will find the mint forums to be a very friendly community (i think even more friendly and more intimate then the ubuntu forums are)...
Yes, all the versions are based on the current ubuntu/kubuntu...with the exception of the coming Debian version of course...which will be direct debian (debian testing) with a rolling release... :)

Initially in a gnome and 32 bit version only...but i am hoping it works out so well and becomes so popular with mint fans, that they go the full monty (gnome 32/64 bit and KDE 32/64 bit)...."unfortunately" they did such a fantastic job on their version of Kubuntu that they got me hooked on the MINT KDE now... :lol:

But Mint gnome is great too..in fact, i think one of the best gnomes i have ever seen...
Craig_Dem

Post by Craig_Dem »

craig10x wrote: Initially in a gnome and 32 bit version only...but i am hoping it works out so well and becomes so popular with mint fans, that they go the full monty (gnome 32/64 bit and KDE 32/64 bit)...."unfortunately" they did such a fantastic job on their version of Kubuntu that they got me hooked on the MINT KDE now... :lol:
Sometimes the people who make the CEs don't have 64 bit computers to work on the release.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I could understand that...though you might notice that as of today, LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) is no longer listed as a "community edition", if that means anything :wink:
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

Tow questions,

one: is Mint KDE the same slowpoke as Kubuntu?
two: does it use all the standard apps as Kubuntu, e.g. Kopete, Kmail and stuff, which I don't like?

What is overall the difference between those two?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

It's the same programs as kde because it is kde and it's got kubuntu underneath it..However "Boo" the aussie that heads up Mint KDE, does a beautiful job in polishing, tweaking, and adding excellent mint packages that we love from the gnome side of mint, such as the mint software center (instead of kpackage kit), back up tools, and many other handy mint related stuff..It's more elegant looking then kubuntu...

Kubuntu doesn't get much "love" over there, what boo does is give it the "love" and make kubuntu what kubuntu should be in the first place... :wink:

I wouldn't say kde has bad programs as compared to gnome..in fact it has some really great programs like: Amarok, K3B, KSnapshot, Kdenlive, K-Mail for example...
and by the way, i am a Gnome old timer that finally got hooked when i tried boo's Mint 9.... :lol:

If you don't like Kopete, for example, use Pidgin, you can mix programs, you know kde and gnome are cross compatible... I use mostly the kde programs in it but Pan is the best newsreader, so i use that (and that is gnome)...In some cases, gnome programs are better then kde ones and in other cases the kde side has the better programs...

Give it a look and see what you think...Also another advantage of Mint KDE over Kubutnu is just like the Mint Gnome, All codecs are pre-installed....
As far as speed, i think Mint KDE is quicker probably because of tweaks that are done to Mint KDE...

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”