Panic! At The Distro

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hawkpaw

Panic! At The Distro

Post by Hawkpaw »

Hello everyone.

Okay, I'm relatively new to the Linux scene. I've tried a couple of versions of Linux Mint, but there's still a lot of information I don't know. That's where you, the community come in. I need advice on which version of Linux Mint I should get. I mainly use my computer for surfing the net and watching movies, especially in YouTube. I also use it for online homework, using programs such as MyMathLab and MasteringChemistry. I don't play a lot of games on it, but the ones I do play tend to be fairly hardware-intensive, like Starcraft 2. I also use it for IMing and video chatting. I enjoy fancy gadgets, but I don't use them too much and prefer performance and function, though I do enjoy eye candy. Ease of use is important for me as well. Finally, I tend to have a bunch of programs open at once, which is a bad habit of mine, so ... oh, and I have a 64-bit processor. I have this laptop: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavi ... m;seeFSpec

So which version should I get? Gnome, KDE, the new Debian, or one of the other ones I don't know about, like LXDE?

EDIT: I'm looking for the one that provides the best features with the least hassle (I always had trouble with KDE's wireless, not sure why), and to maximize my battery life. I was thinking about just using the standard distro, Ubuntu (or "Minty Meerkat" as I like to call it). Would it impact my battery life more or less significantly than the other distributions? How is its speed compared to the others, keeping my computer's specs in mind?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Panic! At The Distro

Post by dawgdoc »

Since each of the Mint editions comes as a LiveCD or DVD, the best thing to do would be to try each running from the CD/DVD and see which appeals to you and if you have specific hardware issues with any of them. Some issues are easily solved with a forum search, which is faster at times than waiting on a response. Your laptop is more than adequate to run any of the editions, with eye-candy, as long as you use the proprietary drivers.

As far as running specific applications that depends on if they are available for the Linux platform. If they are you can ask for help on installing them. If they are not available in a format for Linux, you may be able to use them either using Wine or from within a Virtual Machine. Or you could install whichever edition of Mint you choose as a dual boot option beside Windows in a separate partition. Thus leaving Windows on the laptop if there is an application which will not run natively on Linux, will not run in Wine, or you do not want to delve into Virtual Machines.
Hawkpaw

Re: Panic! At The Distro

Post by Hawkpaw »

Thank you for the reply dawgdoc. I would like to mention that I have amended my OP witht he following information:

"EDIT: I'm looking for the one that provides the best features with the least hassle (I always had trouble with KDE's wireless, not sure why), and to maximize my battery life. I was thinking about just using the standard distro, Ubuntu (or "Minty Meerkat" as I like to call it). Would it impact my battery life more or less significantly than the other distributions? How is its speed compared to the others, keeping my computer's specs in mind?"

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”