Forum rules
Before you post please read this
MrDX
Level 1
Level 1

What Mint for what system ?

Post by MrDX » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:49 am

Hi all.
I have been reading about Mint OS's and I am heavily confused with no answer to my questions yet. I hope the community can put me on the right path.

First what I am doing: I have a dell inspiron e1705 laptop I would like to put Linux on.
2nd: What flavor of Mint would be good to use or another Distro?
3rd: I play MP3's, DVD's, CD's and Burn them also.
4th: My son likes to play WOW and some other on line games.
I do use Open Office and Adobe PDF writer.
I also use Sony Vegas Video and other sound and video editors.

I realize that I might loose some of the above.

After reading about the flavors, it does not give me an idea what flavor might be better for my Laptop or my usage. The Laptop usually stays plugin so I am not concerned about battery life.

Thanks in advance

Steve

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Re: What Mint for what system ?

Post by vincent » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:11 am

According to the specs provided on Dell's website, your laptop is good enough to run Gnome...thus I recommend installing the "main" version, i.e. Linux Mint 9 Main. Whether to go with 32-bit or 64-bit is entirely up to you...you have a Core 2 Duo processor, so either option is open to you. To be honest, it doesn't matter which version you pick, since the main differences are for the most part cosmetic (i.e. the different versions of Mint have different desktop environments - Gnome, KDE, Xfce, LXDE, Fluxbox). The first 2 are complete, feature-full DE's, while the last 3 are quite lightweight, but not as newbie-friendly or as intuitive to use.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

MrDX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrDX » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi Vincent,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. When you say "main" does that also mean "The Flagship" of Mint? I have read that before I do not know what flavor that is. A quick look seams to point to Isadora. Is that correct? or is it the Debian (201009) release ?

My problem is that I don't know the language used for describing Linux Distros or flavors. As my daughter says, I am language challenged. "Your just old Dad" lol

I am going to say you mean Isadora since on that page it says "GNOME Desktop"

Thank you very much and I will download today and give it a shot. Ill read the manual first though... :)

Steve

LarryP
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LarryP » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:41 pm

Isadora is the mainedition which I run on a slower single core laptop I love it. I think your main concern could be games WOW is supposed to run great on wine or playonlinux which I think may be easier to set up. Google playonlinux and on their site you can find which games play well. I don't do video editing but have noticed in other threads there don't really seem to be any "killer" video editors again wine may be of help here googling wine and any windows program you really want should help with answers there. Of course you could dual boot windows and mint and use windows for gaming and editing much simpler approach there. oh just had an after thought if your going to keep the music on your linux partition ogg vorbis is a format that I find superior to mp3 smaller size with better sound :D you'd want to check your nnon-linux devices to see if they support the vorbis format .
TANSTAAFL There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

MrDX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrDX » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:59 pm

Larry,
Thank you much for the info, that is what I needed. I will put it go good use.

Steve

LarryP
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LarryP » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:07 am

Steve I just happened to notice your using the nvidia 105g on your machine and googled it out of curiosity apparently there has been trouble with linux support for that at least earlier in the year. you may want to check the nvidia site or somewhere to find out if better support is resolved. Mainly it seems to be showing up as low resolution and problems with 3D.
TANSTAAFL There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

MrDX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrDX » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:22 pm

LarryP wrote:Steve I just happened to notice your using the nvidia 105g on your machine and googled it out of curiosity apparently there has been trouble with linux support for that at least earlier in the year. .
Hi Larry,
Thank you very much for searching on the video card, Well appreciated!
Luckily though, I have the ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 in it. I just read about the Linux drivers and it says it has better 3D performance (great news) also says about problems installing the driver. So, when I have the time Ill check more into that.

So far I have only run the Live DVD and I have not had much time to play with it. From the get-go so far it's working well. I could not get the wireless to work yet but that might be due to me not having the time to find out how to configure it yet or Mint needs to be installed. The wireless is the Broadcom 1500 Draft 802.11n WLAN mini Card with a Dell driver.

I must say, I am very anxious to get Isadora installed. :)

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:30 am

LarryP wrote:Steve I just happened to notice your using the nvidia 105g on your machine and googled it out of curiosity apparently there has been trouble with linux support for that at least earlier in the year. you may want to check the nvidia site or somewhere to find out if better support is resolved. Mainly it seems to be showing up as low resolution and problems with 3D.
I don't have a single problem with my Nvidia Geforce G105M, thanks. Besides, nowhere has the OP stated that he owns a Nvidia card (in fact, he has an ATI card), so how is this relevant in any way to the situation on hand? :?
MrDX wrote:So far I have only run the Live DVD and I have not had much time to play with it. From the get-go so far it's working well. I could not get the wireless to work yet but that might be due to me not having the time to find out how to configure it yet or Mint needs to be installed. The wireless is the Broadcom 1500 Draft 802.11n WLAN mini Card with a Dell driver.
Have you checked mintMenu > Control Centre > Hardware Drivers?
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

MrDX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrDX » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:40 am

vincent wrote:I don't have a single problem with my Nvidia Geforce G105M, thanks. Besides, nowhere has the OP stated that he owns a Nvidia card (in fact, he has an ATI card), so how is this relevant in any way to the situation on hand? :?

Have you checked mintMenu > Control Centre > Hardware Drivers?
Vincent, I believe Larry was just checking out the Laptop to see how compatible it was. The NVIDA is the basic card that came with it, unless it was upgraded. I just appreciate Larry checked it out before I even had the opportunity to check into it my self. That is what this forum is all about right? to help others as they need it or before us newbies get into an "OOPS" He did not know I had the ATI until after he posted that.

As for the Hardware devices: Nope, I will install Isadora tomorrow and then look into the wireless. Thank you for letting me know were to go and set it up.

My kids are even excited to get this going... :D

Thanks everyone, Ill post my results tomorrow.

waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:35 pm

Broadcom wireless support is now built in the new Ubuntu released today (finally!). Because of this, we can assume that Broadcom will also be supported in the next version of Mint, expected to be out in the next month or two.

MrDX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrDX » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:17 pm

Thanks Waldo.

I have just started the install.

Are you telling me that the wireless wont work until next month or is there another way to get it working?

The wife brought up a question.
How do I give limited access to the system for some users? (sorry, I have not read the complete manual yet) :)

MrDX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrDX » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:28 pm

Need to go to work... Knott's Scary Farm Monster... lol

Ok, Isadora installed and it is working really well. :D I can see I have a few adjustments to make but I am sure that is a normal thing anyway. The sound seams to be off and I need to turn it on when I want to hear something, it does not automatically come on. Can that be changed?
I downloaded a few backgrounds but they don't stay in the background listing, so I can switch to the new one's. Yup, wireless not working and could not get it to work. Blue tooth works, video & dvd but will only with with DTS not PCM or dolby I think it was. My RUSH EXIT Stage Left DVD has audio choices to use.

linmint777
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linmint777 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:36 pm

linux mint debian edition certainly, for its performance and speed would be good for any laptop, try it before installing
Linux Mint #1 Distro.
http://mintyubuntu.blogspot.com

MrDX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrDX » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:10 am

Isadora is working nicely on the E1705. Now I just need to learn how to tune it.

Now, on another note.

Should I use Isadora or Debian on a desktop?

linmint777
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linmint777 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:33 pm

Should I use Isadora or Debian on a desktop?
You can install one or
install both , by choosing the two in which to start boot (dual boot) or
You can have both at the same time, install one and the other will virtualize (virtualbox recommended)
Linux Mint #1 Distro.

MrDX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrDX » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:53 pm

I was thinking about the duel boot.
What would be the differences between Isadora and Debian?

Thank you :)

linmint777
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linmint777 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:39 pm

aesthetically are few differences, about what other differences there are many
I'll just say a few:
compared with ubuntu, mint-debian is: more stable, fast, light, not officially supported Ubuntu applications and a very little more difficult to handle for new users.
mint 9 isadora is otherwise.
Linux Mint #1 Distro.

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:12 am

i just thought i made this post.....i had to looks 2

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

Return to “About Mint Editions”