Forum rules
Before you post please read this
churchyard
Level 1
Level 1

Xfce edition based on Debian

Post by churchyard » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Hi,
I am a Debian user with Xfce, and I really like Linux Mint Xfce, the only problem is, that Xfce from (X)Ubuntu is much slower than Xfce from Debian. I would really appriciate a Xfce Mint edition based on Debian. Are thera any steps going there? I could help porting packages and even mantain the edition.

Thanks for information.

asymmetros
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Xfce edition based on Debian

Post by asymmetros » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:37 pm

As Clem stated in Mint's blog, their priorities now are to prepare a "new" LMDE Gnome, both in 32 and in 64bit. Many people were asking for the very first moment for a 64-version. A few fixes, mostly regarding the installer, and a most updated version -regarding programs, libs, etc are coming this December. Not a word for Xfce but who knows? If the devs find the time and feel confident about LMDE's progress and acceptance...
I would like a Xfce LMDE. In fact, i have installed in LMDE, Openbox and Xfce4 and choose between them in every login.
Sid Mint Xfce -32, Openbox, KDE, Enlightenment, Liquorix Kernel
HP Compaq Presario cq71, Intel Core 2 Duo T4400 @ 2.2 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 103M

mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:59 pm

While I would also like to see an LMDE XFCE, I'm just curious what you think that you would gain if you've already gone through the trouble to setup Debian XFCE on your current system? I dual boot Debian XFCE and LMDE, and while I love Mint and think that it's the absolute easiest and best maintained OS out there, I find myself continually booting into Debian XFCE just because it's so darn fast.

mikhou

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:55 am

As you are already accustomed with fast speed of xfce,, you might want to test out crunchbang, which is based on Debian.

They have just made Development Release: CrunchBang Linux 10 R20101205.
Openbox and xfce versions available.

asymmetros
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asymmetros » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:54 pm

While I would also like to see an LMDE XFCE, I'm just curious what you think that you would gain if you've already gone through the trouble to setup Debian XFCE on your current system?
Speaking for myself, if i was supposed to do it from the beginning, i would probably choose to install pure debian, then selecting the desktop and mintify it a bit.
But i have put so much work in my LMDE that i dont dare go down that route for my main system.
(In fact, i am dual booting with debian kde , but dont like kde and don't feel easy with two mains systems to take it seriously)

Gnome is fast, and it starts at about ~130 Mb. It s not only about speed, IMHO, Xfce (and Openbox!) looks more straight to the point. And it is a hope (not a demand!) that one day Mint Debian will come in various flavors, even better with a mint-like netinstall: Debian-based system, in a few minutes, for any kind of user.
Sid Mint Xfce -32, Openbox, KDE, Enlightenment, Liquorix Kernel
HP Compaq Presario cq71, Intel Core 2 Duo T4400 @ 2.2 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 103M

anzan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anzan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:52 pm

Well, I think LMDE with Xfce would be a lot easier for everyone. Now Clem and Ikey will not only have to Mintify but de-Ubuntuize and un-GNOME the GUI.
Thanks to all developers.

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:11 pm

You guys do know, that the next release of the Xfce desktop that LinuxMint is working on is based on Debian ??

The new release of Mint-Debian Xfce is nearing completion.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=68383

Check out the 'Testing" section of the Community.LinuxMint site for details on the LMDE-Xfce status.

http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

Return to “About Mint Editions”