Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
degarb
Level 2
Level 2

Wubi v. Mint4win

Post by degarb » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:05 pm

Since running a package fix in recover console mode, destroyed my Wubi installation--unconfiguring the location of /root etc. And no way to repair the installation, I can see. Looks like a 6th wipe and reinstall wubi. (grub2 wont install on my external drive, even with cd)

It took 4 hours to download 200 meg of updates, only to have it choke on a bad python 2 minimal replacement archive. And no way to back out. I read that mint is simply Ubuntu + a few preinstalled codecs. Lord, I hate trying to get the codecs working in the browsers on Ubuntu. (one package doesn't work, and another by same name won't.) SO, I was thinking maybe mint4win would save me a few hours, wrinkles, and hairs.

But, will I not be able to get support. Support is 100 percent of a programming language or OS install, since, any one unsurmountable roadblock will void its usage.

Also, is it 3 versions behind?

Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wubi v. Mint4win

Post by Fornhamfred » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi

Mint is not just Ubuntu with a few added extras. Why not download the iso of Mint 10, which is based on the latest version of Ubuntu, burn a dvd and run it as a live dvd to see whether you like it. If you do install it in windows with mint4win. You will get all the support you require in this forum.

degarb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by degarb » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:22 pm

Fornhamfred wrote:Hi

Mint is not just Ubuntu with a few added extras. Why not download the iso of Mint 10, which is based on the latest version of Ubuntu, burn a dvd and run it as a live dvd to see whether you like it. If you do install it in windows with mint4win. You will get all the support you require in this forum.
I tried mint4win, but tried to use the snaptic and updater. It freezes on unpacking python-minimal replacement. I suspect the directory it is unpacking into is missing. But no yet one knows where it is unpacking it into, so I can check this.

Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:17 am

I have Mint 10 running in windows thro mint4win. When you say you used snaptic and the updater does that mean that you did not use the Mint Update to update the install.

I did mine with Mint update and had no problems at all.

degarb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by degarb » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:03 pm

I tried getting past this with recovery console. all kinds of googled fixes. Installing wubi and mint4win.

I gave up. I hit so many road blocks with Ubuntu 10.10, that I am considering it junkware. Unfortunately, since I am having good luck with 9 for a year on the living room family laptop.

I tried 3 installs on external drive. but grub2 is junk. I see multiple complaints on boards that grub2 won't load an OS not on grub drive. At least, with ide bios gen computer and usb hard drive. I think the developers are missing this because they are setting the other drive as the boot drive. Not thinking, some people want grub in the primary master and linux on the usb drive. It doesn't work.

I was forced to install debian mint on sda, along side windows, with a limited drive size. I hoped that would pickup the external drive's lmde install. It did. Just won't boot to it.

Moreover, grub is one thing in linux that is actually harder than 10 years ago. I am not the first to say this. I don't see any way of changing the grub menu. The cfg file is a mess, and it instructs no editing. WTH? Then, grub needs to be OS independent and not dependent on an install: BY DEFAULT!

Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:57 pm

Although I have Mint 10 installed thro mint4win my main production machine is running Mint LMDE, which I have found to be very stable. I think your problem of not being able to boot to an external drive can be solved by editing the fstab file to mount the drive at bootup.

I suggest you post a request for help in the LMDE section of the forum.

Return to “About Mint Editions”