Short cut the Gnome application menu?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
toomanyquestions

Short cut the Gnome application menu?

Post by toomanyquestions »

I'm in the process of upgrading from Gloria to Isadora (Gnome or XFCE?)...but I like the "right-click" application menu present in older XFCE versions. If I go w/Gnome, is it possible to short-cut the applications menu? Does the application menu open via an "executable" file (or something similar)? If so, how would I go about this? I'm not proficient in terminal, but I might be able to edit a text file with some instructions...

A related question I asked regarding the XFCE 9 desktop -

"...is it possible to remove the intermediate menu that shows up after I right-click? I prefer to open the application menu directly. Furthermore, is it possible to customize the application menu (like Elyssa, Gloria etc)? If the solution involves editing text files, please add details..."

Finally, is it me or does Isadora XFCE suffer from buggy graphics?

An answer to any of the above questions would be greatly appreciated - thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Short cut the Gnome application menu?

Post by wayne128 »

toomanyquestions wrote:I'm in the process of upgrading from Gloria to Isadora (Gnome or XFCE?)...but I like the "right-click" application menu present in older XFCE versions. If I go w/Gnome, is it possible to short-cut the applications menu? Does the application menu open via an "executable" file (or something similar)? If so, how would I go about this? I'm not proficient in terminal, but I might be able to edit a text file with some instructions...
In Mint gnome, you can right click an application, a pop up appear with selection such as 'add to panel', 'add to desktop'
if you select add to desktop an icon will appear at desktop, click that will launch that application,
same to add to panel, icon will appear at panel.
No command line required for this .
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

toomanyquestions wrote:I'm in the process of upgrading from Gloria to Isadora (Gnome or XFCE?)...but I like the "right-click" application menu present in older XFCE versions. If I go w/Gnome, is it possible to short-cut the applications menu?
There are at least two ways to gain access to the applications menu: classic Gnome menu or via Mint menu.

Keyboard shortcuts:
o Alt+F1 - Gnome menu
o Ctrl+Superkey - Mint menu

Mouse shortcuts: AFAIK, there is no provision to display the applications menu via right-click in the Gnome DE.
toomanyquestions wrote:Does the application menu open via an "executable" file (or something similar)?
You can run the Mint menu from the Terminal. The name of the executable is: mintmenu Just be ready to be greeted with a barrage of Python warnings and error messages before the icon shows up on screen.
toomanyquestions wrote:I'm not proficient in terminal, but I might be able to edit a text file with some instructions...
Most likely, you don't have to. Unlike other lightweight DEs that rely on heavy editing of text files as a means of customizing/configuring the DE, you customize the Gnome desktop via GUI tools available at your disposal.

HTH.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote: The name of the executable is: mintmenu
Do you know where this file is located(/folder/folder)? - Thanks much for your knowledge
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

toomanyquestions wrote:Do you know where this file is located(/folder/folder)?
locate command in terminal says it's in /usr/bin. HTH.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”