Mint Versions

Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
jfanthony

Mint Versions

Post by jfanthony » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:03 pm

Can someone please explain or point me to guidance about what makes each version of Mint different? (i.e. Debain, LXDE RC, KDE, etc.) Also, does anyone have recommendations of a version for a netbook? I'm a Linux newbie, so please forgive my ignorance.

Beardedragon
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint Versions

Post by Beardedragon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:57 pm

jfanthony wrote:Can someone please explain or point me to guidance about what makes each version of Mint different? (i.e. Debain, LXDE RC, KDE, etc.) Also, does anyone have recommendations of a version for a netbook? I'm a Linux newbie, so please forgive my ignorance.
First, go to the Mint home page: http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php Try to read as much as you can about each of the versions. Remember that each version means a different desktop with different menus, styles and themes. If you find something interesting download it and burn a Live disk then try it out without installing a thing. Most netbooks are limited to HD space and or RAM. So something like LXDE or Fluxbox might work. Xfce is the next in line and each has it's own advantages. When I say, in line, I mean amount of space and memory needed to run it. LMDE (Debian) is using a different base than Ubuntu for the Gnome Desktop the same as the Main Linux Mint version. RC means Release Candidate, the last release before the Final. Hope this helps.
Robert Collard, Madison, WI
Linux Mint 19.2 Tina Kernel: 4.15.0-55
Desktop System: HP EliteDesk 705 G1 SFF
CPU: Quad Core model: AMD A10-6800K APU
NVIDIA GK208 [GeForce GT 720] nvidia v: 340.107
Acer Technologies 24" 1920 x 1080

Imhoteps
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Imhoteps » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:59 am

Much depends on comp`s strenght you use. For weaker machines try lightwight environments - Fluxbox, LXDE.
Xfce is almost as heavy as Gnome ("Xfce is light desktop" is a myth nowadays). KDE is most eycandy-ed desktop, but also most heavy 1.
P.S. Try Fluxbox. You won`t regret. ;)
Windows 8: Designed to fail

mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:35 am

I have to disagree with one thing said. Yes, XFCE can get heavy, but it doesn't have to. Done the right way, it can certainly be a lightweight DE. And the developers here do a good job with it. I would definitely suggest trying it at least.

mikhou

mychance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mychance » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:27 am

I run the big standard Gnome version on my Aspire One netbook and everything is slick and reactive. Would be nice though to have a Mint Netbook version as it is more and more common with other distros.
Aspire One 150
Quad boot, Linux Mint, Xpud, Moblin and Win XP

cpatrick08
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cpatrick08 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:37 pm

done

BigSteve_G
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BigSteve_G » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:00 pm

Just a suggestion, if your a total newbie I'd steer clear of LMDE, I've a year on Linux now & found the 'rough edges' a bit of a problem
I'd go for (& did) a gnome version of Mint (heard somewere the 64bit versions can have problems with java & stuff) & then install KDE so you can switch between gnome & KDE until you decide which one you prefer.

That said I've found gnome easier to customize - my systems have the Gnome menu with a pair of eyes replacing the mint logo, custom icons for desktop stuff & themes that I've down loaded & changed myself as with other icons.
I've fixed Windows, tried running with Jackalopes, fought Koalas & now, I'm addicted to Mints

Now with half a decade running Linux mint, still enjoying it & still learning!

http://www.facebook.com/itsbigsteve

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:20 pm

Although I have no experience with a netbook I have found that on my wife's and my laptops we were able to run a fairly wide assortment of distros. The biggest challenge would be in the amount of ram your netbook has along with HDD(this point is not overly important). I would also check to see if the unit has an embedded OS such as windoze CE as this would create problems. Try to download a few distros onto USB devices ( you don't have a disc drive I suspect)using unetbootin from windoze and give them a go. Remember if you decide to try "Live" the OS will not behave the same as installed it is usually very slow in comparison. :) With All that has been said thus far I hope you find Linux to be both fun and educational as I have. WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD NEO :lol: :lol: :lol:
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:16 pm

I have Mint 10 (GNOME) on a netbook (Asus 1001P) and it works ok. If I had to move to something lighter and faster I would probably chose Mint LXDE.

OldGreyGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OldGreyGuy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:29 pm

nunol wrote:I have Mint 10 (GNOME) on a netbook (Asus 1001P) and it works ok. If I had to move to something lighter and faster I would probably chose Mint LXDE.
I'm running the 32 Bit version of Mint 10 (GNOME) on a Netbook (HP Mini 110) and it works fine. I chose this version as I also use a Laptop (ThinkPad T61p) which runs 64 Bit Mint 10 and a home brew system that supports all the family also running 64 Bit Mint 10. I didn't want to be having to think about different menus and set-ups all the time.

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:03 pm

So you are consolidating on GNOME as much as possible.

I also do that, but someday Mint main (GNOME) will become to slow for the netbook. Mint LXDE is my alternative. There are others but Mint LXDE is not that far from the look of GNOME and is faster.

Return to “About Mint Editions”