Problems with LM11, LMDE

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
David Brown

Problems with LM11, LMDE

Post by David Brown »

I've been using Linux Mint since release 6. I have multiple partitions on my hard drive and dual boot to either a "working" distro (currently LM-9) or an "experimental" distro. I like the idea of rolling releases and have tried both LMDE and LMDE-Xfce. When LM-11 came out, I tried it, too. Comments are:

1. Please refresh the LMDE images. It takes longer to update them after installing than the entire download + install process.

2. I cannot get a network printer (HP Laserjet P1505 on a networked computer running WinXP) to print from LMDE, LMDE-Xfce or LM-11. I get all the way to printing a test page, and then get "Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in 60 seconds . . ." I can "see" the printer on the network. CUPS finds it during the printer install process. It prints fine from LM-9, and did work fine with earlier versions of Linux Mint. I cannot get it to work with Xubuntu 11.4 either, so this problem may come from there. Googling the error message didn't find me a solution.

3. With LMDE, during an attempted printer installation, I couldn't "browse" to find this networked printer until I loaded some python utility. Sorry, forget details.

4. VueScan (Hamrick Software, commercial scanner software) will not run in LM-11 or LMDE. It does run in LM-9 (and earlier) and in Xubuntu 11.4.

David Brown (still happily using LM-9)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
7three

Re: Problems with LM11, LMDE

Post by 7three »

Hey I had the same problem and found a really easy solution which worked for me: :twisted:

If your printer name is something like this: "My USB Printer"
the smb search will rename it to "MyUSBPrinter" (no spaces!!!)

So just rename it back from "MyUSBPrinter" to "My USB Printer" and it work fine (for me).

I hope I can help sb else with that (just hate to have x-tra register to this forum to post my solutions.. :?

Regards

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”