Mint 11 - does it update Firefox 4 to 5?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rustleg
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 11 - does it update Firefox 4 to 5?

Post by rustleg »

I noticed that support has been withdrawn from Firefox 4 so does this mean Mint 11 will now update its version to Firefox 5?

I ask because I am currently running Mint 10 (very happily) but I'm a bit concerned about the security issues if continuing with a version of Firefox 3. I couldn't find out whether Mint 10 updates still include the latest security patches for Firefox 3. But if I change to Mint 11 and it doesn't update Firefox 4 to Firefox 5 I am no better off.

As to switching to Mint 11 I am also concerned about its stability vs Mint 10 as I have read elsewhere that Ubuntu 11.04 has a number of problems and I'd much prefer a stable system rather than have the latest versions of software - that is except for the security updates issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 11 - does it update Firefox 4 to 5?

Post by Oscar799 »

In Mint 11 Firefox 4 is updated to Firefox 5 via MintUpdate
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

You can also update to probably firefox 5.0 w Mint 10 by adding mozilla's ppa. Lemme see if I can dig up the how to I used to do it with Mint 10. Though at the time updated to 4.01. Gave me no problems, thought ff 4.01 was in the repos. Not sure if ff 5.0 will be well supported. Really don't see why it wouldn't be. Either way ya run into problems just search for ff in synaptic and mark it for reinstall there. You'll be where you are now. Well probably at ff 4.01, shrugs. Same diff ...

http://www.jonathanmoeller.com/screed/?p=2754

As a precaution either way would disable FF from automatically installing updates to itself in the future.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I've got FF 5 on Mint 11 without using any PPA (in fact, while I was busy adding the PPA, the update came into the Dutch mirror and appeared at me).
Please click the updater (shield-like icon) and FF 5 will appear if it isn't yet installed.

At first you might not notice any difference, except that the browser loads slightly faster. When going to About Firefox in the 'Help' menu, after clicking the 'Firefox' button when the menu is hidden, you'll see the version.

PS. You can hide the menu of FF 5 (Windows' behaviour) by pressing F10.
Last edited by AlbertP on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
inhiway

Post by inhiway »

Here's the PPA from Mozilla I added to my source list to upgrade FF to V5. The update will come through MintUpdate.

http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/fi ... ext/ubuntu main

http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/fi ... ext/ubuntu main (Source Code)

I'm using Mint 10 KDE.
rustleg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rustleg »

Thanks for all the replies. I have installed Mint 11 now. I have multibooted it with my other systems including Mint 10 but I'll probably drop Mint 10 soon. Mint 11 seems to work well and I am pleased with it, so I don't intend to try to backport the latest Firefox into Mint 10.

I did have an issue with Synaptic at one time as it wouldn't authenticate but I managed to fix it by adding my username to the sudoers file. Also the CD creator quit when I tried to burn an iso, so I resorted to using Windows for this (sorry folks).

I switched to Mint after using Debian for some years since I have had problems with the latest version (Squeeze) and it doesn't seem so stable as previous versions. I briefly tried to install LMDE but aborted the install when I couldn't get the partitioner to do what I needed - it seemed far inferior to the usual Debian/Ubuntu/Mint partitioner.

Thanks again.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The LMDE installer indeed needs some improvement, but I think that when the next ISO is released, it'll be improved somehow. But don't expect it to be perfect at once. The Ubuntu installer is also not perfect.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”