Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
saCUL
Level 1
Level 1

Evolution 2.12 very frustrating addressbook problems

Post by saCUL » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:51 pm

Have had a number of frustrating problems with the version of evolution in the repositories accessed by Daryna.

A bit of history. This machine is an Intel Imac and has had the following distro history recently.

Sabayon -> Fedora 8 -> Ubuntu -> Mint - Daryna

I had previously back up my email in evolution using the backup settings provided by the program. These settings are provided by a plugin which is not installed by default when you install evolution on Daryna. In the repositories they are called evolution-plugins-experimental.

When I went to restore my email everything works fine with the exception of the addressbook. When you tried to open the addressbook you get error messages complaining about permissions and/or whether the folders have been created. The permissions were all correct on folders that do exist.

After much stuffing around I went back to my home machine running Fedora 8 and successfully restored the mail from the same archive that does not work correctly under Daryna. I then exported the addresses as a VCard and imported them correctly into kaddressbook. From there I exported them as a csv file that I knew Evolution would import.

At work this morning I successfully imported the addressbook.csv file and they populated the addressbook - Hurray BUT although I can select and entry, edit and save it the entries are not available to select when creating a new email or contact list -- aaaahhhh

So If anyone has any suggestions to make regarding this problem I would be very grateful as successful use of email is a mission critical task on this box. I also suggest that there is something wacky about the evolution packages available to Daryna as this functionality works perfectly for the same Evolution edition 2.12 on other distros.

respectfully

saCUL

saCUL
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Evolution 2.12 very frustrating addressbook problems

Post by saCUL » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:10 pm

Further experimentation shows that if I export from kaddressbook as a ldif file then evolution will import the addressbook correctly and allow for contacts to be selected correctly - hurray!

saCUL

mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Evolution 2.12 very frustrating addressbook problems

Post by mumbo719 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:38 pm

I never used the experimental back up but.

If you go to the home folder, click on view, show hidden files you will see an Evolution folder. I just copy it to a removable storage device at restore on a different PC or restore after a backup.
Regards,

Warren J. Grisafi
Integrity Cleaning Systems, LLC.,
813-927-4315
http://www.integritytampa.com

You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.
~ Mary Pickford

Return to “About Mint Editions”