Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Spud1200
Level 2
Level 2

Java, DNS and IPLeaking ..

Postby Spud1200 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:30 am

Is their an easy way to Purge Java from LM. I'm leaking DNS Requests and I'm finding that disabling Java helps but their is potential problems also as it does operate out side the VPN Tunnel also with in the actual OS. I've taken several steps and used IPLeak.net but I cant be 100% sure even if disabling Java will help because despite shutting down certain services and encrypting my line I'm looking at layer 7 of the OSI Model and FF.

hinto
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Java, DNS and IPLeaking ..

Postby hinto » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:11 am

I imagine you mean the Java plugin to a browser. I any case... don't forget Flash.... and Firefox.... and Chrome..... not sure what extensions you can add to those browsers, but I've found Opera (with VPN turned on) seems OK with IPLeaks.

-H
"In God we trust, all others bring data."- W. Edwards Deming

Cosmo.
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Cosmo. » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:39 am

You can remove the java-plugin for the browser (the rest of Java is not relevant for this case) by removing the package icedtea-X-plugin, where X has to be replaced by the version number, which is installed. But this is rather meaningless, as the current version of FF does not support the needed API anymore, so that the Java plugin will not work in any case,

phd21
Level 10
Level 10

Postby phd21 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:33 am

Hi "Spud1200",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

It would also help to be more specific and to know if you are using some sort of VPN service and or add-on, and if so what kind, and how is that setup? If you are not using some king of VPN provider's service like "Private Internet Access (PIA)", or a browser VPN add-on (Hoxx or DotVPN, Opera's built-in one, etc...), then your external IP address is going to be exposed.

On the bottom of "ipleak.net" webpage are instructions on how to prevent webRTC leaks, and there are browser plugins for that as well.

I have Java (Oracle and Open Source) installed in my Linux Mint system and it does not seem to be a cause of any DNS and or IP leaking? I am running Firefox (ver.52) at the moment, and I do not see any Java add-ons (plug-ins) or extensions in that.

If you have not already changed your local ISP connection's default DNS name servers to neutral secure DNS server IP addresses from a DNS provider like "opennic project", "dns.watch", "openDNS", "freenom world", etc... then I would do that right away and restart.

If you use "openVPN" for VPN connection(s) like you should be, you can also upgrade that package using instructions in the link below.

Is it possible to install the latest openvpn on 17.3 without breaking everything
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=242583&hilit=openvpn

Post on: "OpenVPN"
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=243181&hilit=openvpn

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.1, 64-bit, Awesome, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller, DVD Lightscribe.
Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Other networking topics”