Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Spud1200
Level 2
Level 2

Java, DNS and IPLeaking ..

Postby Spud1200 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:30 am

Is their an easy way to Purge Java from LM. I'm leaking DNS Requests and I'm finding that disabling Java helps but their is potential problems also as it does operate out side the VPN Tunnel also with in the actual OS. I've taken several steps and used IPLeak.net but I cant be 100% sure even if disabling Java will help because despite shutting down certain services and encrypting my line I'm looking at layer 7 of the OSI Model and FF.

hinto
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Java, DNS and IPLeaking ..

Postby hinto » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:11 am

I imagine you mean the Java plugin to a browser. I any case... don't forget Flash.... and Firefox.... and Chrome..... not sure what extensions you can add to those browsers, but I've found Opera (with VPN turned on) seems OK with IPLeaks.

-H
"In God we trust, all others bring data."- W. Edwards Deming

Cosmo.
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Cosmo. » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:39 am

You can remove the java-plugin for the browser (the rest of Java is not relevant for this case) by removing the package icedtea-X-plugin, where X has to be replaced by the version number, which is installed. But this is rather meaningless, as the current version of FF does not support the needed API anymore, so that the Java plugin will not work in any case,

phd21
Level 11
Level 11

Postby phd21 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:33 am

Hi "Spud1200",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

It would also help to be more specific and to know if you are using some sort of VPN service and or add-on, and if so what kind, and how is that setup? If you are not using some king of VPN provider's service like "Private Internet Access (PIA)", or a browser VPN add-on (Hoxx or DotVPN, Opera's built-in one, etc...), then your external IP address is going to be exposed.

On the bottom of "ipleak.net" webpage are instructions on how to prevent webRTC leaks, and there are browser plugins for that as well.

I have Java (Oracle and Open Source) installed in my Linux Mint system and it does not seem to be a cause of any DNS and or IP leaking? I am running Firefox (ver.52) at the moment, and I do not see any Java add-ons (plug-ins) or extensions in that.

If you have not already changed your local ISP connection's default DNS name servers to neutral secure DNS server IP addresses from a DNS provider like "opennic project", "dns.watch", "openDNS", "freenom world", etc... then I would do that right away and restart.

If you use "openVPN" for VPN connection(s) like you should be, you can also upgrade that package using instructions in the link below.

Is it possible to install the latest openvpn on 17.3 without breaking everything
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=242583&hilit=openvpn

Post on: "OpenVPN"
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=243181&hilit=openvpn

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.1, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Spud1200
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Spud1200 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:29 am

phd21 wrote:Hi "Spud1200",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

It would also help to be more specific and to know if you are using some sort of VPN service and or add-on, and if so what kind, and how is that setup? If you are not using some king of VPN provider's service like "Private Internet Access (PIA)", or a browser VPN add-on (Hoxx or DotVPN, Opera's built-in one, etc...), then your external IP address is going to be exposed.

On the bottom of "ipleak.net" webpage are instructions on how to prevent webRTC leaks, and there are browser plugins for that as well.

I have Java (Oracle and Open Source) installed in my Linux Mint system and it does not seem to be a cause of any DNS and or IP leaking? I am running Firefox (ver.52) at the moment, and I do not see any Java add-ons (plug-ins) or extensions in that.

If you have not already changed your local ISP connection's default DNS name servers to neutral secure DNS server IP addresses from a DNS provider like "opennic project", "dns.watch", "openDNS", "freenom world", etc... then I would do that right away and restart.

If you use "openVPN" for VPN connection(s) like you should be, you can also upgrade that package using instructions in the link below.

Is it possible to install the latest openvpn on 17.3 without breaking everything
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=242583&hilit=openvpn

Post on: "OpenVPN"
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=243181&hilit=openvpn

Hope this helps ...

Genuinely sorry about the late reply as I got side tracked installing another Linux Distro and had it for about two weeks. I'm back on mint 18 SARA.

Hear is the information you asked for.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: LinuxBox Kernel: 4.4.0-77-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.0.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   System: Packard Bell BV product: PBBGL00
           Mobo: Packard Bell BV model: PBGL00
           Bios: American Megatrends v: PBBGL00.P07 date: 01/08/2009
CPU:       Quad core AMD Phenom 9650 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 18393
           clock speeds: max: 2300 MHz 1: 2300 MHz 2: 2300 MHz 3: 2300 MHz
           4: 1150 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G98 [GeForce G 100] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1360x768@60.02hz, 1360x768@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV98
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 C-Media CMI8738/CMI8768 PCI Audio
           driver: snd_cmipci port: e800 bus-ID: 04:05.0
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-77-generic
Network:   Card: Marvell 88E8071 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: sky2 v: 1.30 port: d800 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 640.1GB (1.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD6400AAKS size: 640.1GB
           Optical-1: /dev/sr0 model: PIOR BD-ROM  BDC-202
           rev: 1.01 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
           Features: speed: 32x multisession: yes
           audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
           Optical-2: /dev/sr1 model: N/A rev: N/A dev-links: N/A
           Features: speed: 24x multisession: yes
           audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: N/A
Partition: ID-1: / size: 582G used: 5.7G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 5.37GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 63.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 179 Uptime: 16:38 Memory: 1248.6/4959.5MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.421) inxi: 2.2.35

At the minute I'm using PIA (Private Internet Access) as my default VPN provider and have my OpenVPN setup with thees. I have changed my default DNS to that of their but what I'm confused about is this problem never occurred when using 17.1 what so ever. It didn't even come up in the list of available IP Addresses under 17.x ..

Return to “Other networking topics”